Ne-Yo Michael Jackson tribute..?

datblackboi08

Proud Member
Ive been seeing alot of videos of neyo peforming various mj songs at 02...did he do a tribute concert or was it just part of his own show?

I just checked out youtube and Ne-yo performed like 10 Michael Jackson songs!!! He did Beat It, Thriller, Billie Jean, Wanna Be Startin Something, Rock with you, Lady in my life, Remember the time, The Way You Make Me Feel, I just can't stop loving you, and Man in the Mirror. He performed shorter versions of the songs, but he must of dedicated at least 30 min to MJ! Ne-yo and his backup dancers also learned all the choreography for Beat It, Thriller, Remember the Time, and he even did some trademark moves from Billie Jean.

I've always loved Ne-yo and his music, but now I have more love for him. He obviously worked very hard to put this tribute together. Other artists dedicate one song. . Ne-yo's doing like 10. Also, out of all the young artists out there that have looked at Michael as their main inspiration (Usher, Chris Brown, JT, etc) I think Ne-yo sounds the most like Michael.

Also to answer your question above, I think this is a Ne-yo concert and not some special tribute concert. I saw videos for many of Ne-yo's hit songs for the same concert.

This particular youtube member uploaded all of Ne-yo's MJ tribute and has made a playlist for it as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lolafandango24

I adore Ne-Yo, I think he's great.
Thanks for the video!

Thanks for sharing.

So sweet of him.

Only just discovered this thread.

I went to see Ne-Yo in July. he name checked Michael to start the show and did a great version of "Off the Wall".
He got a bit emotional in the middle of the show when he wanted to take a few minutes to remember Michael and the influence he had on him and started to cry. He had to take another minute to compose himself.

But you can see from his performances how much Michael has influenced him, his musical direction, his dancing, style, etc

The crowd loved it.

He's just a fan like all of us, missing our Michael. :(

Aw how lovely! Thanks so much for posting. I've always really liked Ne-Yo. :)

Ne-Yo also was collaborating with Michael co-writing & producing songs for Michael's next album.

I read that in Ebony's Commemorative issue (Michael laughing in silver jacket cover).

And yes, Ne-yo's main influence (just like Usher) has been MJ. Check out the song "Because of you" and all the harmonies are purely MJ influence. Not as sublime as Michael's backgrounds which were more lush and sensual, but still 1000 times better than most music on the radio today.

Ne-Yo??? lol Sorry folks but I cannot take him seriously as an real artist.

Ne-Yo is as much as an artist like Prince, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye etc.

as Britney is a good live singer just lol

Again with the negativity Arty. This thread is about Ne-Yo and his tributes to MJ, don't try to change it into how good of a musician he is. Ne-Yo obviously respected MJ greatly and took a lot of influence from him. If you don't like him then that's your opinion but please don't blab it to everyone else here.

I think Neyo is great. He is one of the best young performers we have today in my opinion. That was a great tribute. I hope I get to see him live sometime soon.

Ne-Yo??? lol Sorry folks but I cannot take him seriously as an real artist.

Ne-Yo is as much as an artist like Prince, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye etc.

as Britney is a good live singer just lol

No offensive here, but Marvin Gaye had one of the greatest voices ever!
Hardly in the same league as Ne-Yo, Although Ne-Yo is a great talent he as alot further to go to land a seat with all the legends!

Very cool that Ne-Yo payed tribute to a man who deeply respected. Nice to see younger guys like Shaffer appreciate those who paved the way for them :flowers:

No offensive here, but Marvin Gaye had one of the greatest voices ever!
Hardly in the same league as Ne-Yo, Although Ne-Yo is a great talent he as alot further to go to land a seat with all the legends!

The poster was being sarcastic in using Marvin, Prince, and Miles as examples by saying that Ne-Yo is about as much of an artist as they were as Britney being a good live singer. It was no need to compare Ne-Yo to obvious musical geniuses. Ne-Yo isn't trying to compete with those legends, he's just working to create his own path.

The poster was being sarcastic in using Marvin, Prince, and Miles as examples by saying that Ne-Yo is about as much of an artist as they were as Britney being a good live singer. It was no need to compare Ne-Yo to obvious musical geniuses. Ne-Yo isn't trying to compete with those legends, he's just working to create his own path.

Oh sorry sarcasim doesnt follow very well in written words sometimes haha
Thanks! haha
:)

THanks Ne-Yo , you didi very good job. Thank you elmari for sharing the link with us.

I have new respect for Ne-yo, I knew he was a fan, however, I didn't know he was this big of a fan!! He doesn't sound bad either!!! Thanks for the post.

i love neyo and i love him even more now :D

i just watched all of them...man i miss michael :(

Naad, I know what you mean. Ne-Yo put forth a great effort but there will NEVER be another Michael. You realize how talented Michael IS when other people try to perform his music.

Man, when people try to perform Michael's songs it makes me so sad, becuase I realize that Michael was definitely the best, and will always be IMO.

I don't really like Ne-Yo, but he doesn't do a bad job with these songs at all!

Of course it's no Michael but well I've hear a lot of worse performances! The only thing I don't like is that he speeded the songs up which make them lose quite some strength, but still a very nice tribute!

Back