MySpace names Michael Jackson as the best male artist

ivy

Proud Member
The music and social networking site has announced its Top Music of All Time in a series of lists that rank the best male artists, female artists, bands, music videos and one-hit wonders.

The lists which were released on Thursday feature a number of surprises: The Rolling Stones failed to make the top 10 bands - beaten by the likes of Guns N Roses - and Christina Aguilera missed out on the top 10 women artists.

The Beatles - recognised by many as the best band of all time - were beaten into fourth place, outpointed by grunge kings Nirvana and California sock-wearers The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

U2 and Led Zeppelin also just made it on to the list, closing the ranks at number 9 and 10.

It was no surprise that favourite Michael Jackson was named best male artist - but interestingly, Justin Timberlake outranked the likes of Bob Marley, David Bowie and Bob Dylan.

The King, Elvis Presley, was less popular than Kanye West.

Madonna was also dethroned as newcomers Pink and Lady Gaga came in at first and second as best female artists.

Jackson's ‘Thriller’ - which was released back in 1983 – remained popular as the best music video.

Vanilla Ice froze competitors topping as the best One-Hit Wonder for “Ice Ice Baby”.

The whitebread wannabe rapper beat the iconic mullet stylings of Billy Ray Cyrus, who ranked eighth for “Achy-Breaky Heart”.

MySpace and music critics began building a list of 25 nominations for each category earlier this year.

Fans were then encouraged to vote for their favourites online, so Top Tens could be determined.

MySpace Content Manager, Dan Stapleton, said the results have highlighted the wide taste in music.

“These results demonstrate just how diverse MySpace’s user base is, and highlights Myspace as an entertainment destination that caters to all tastes in music,” he said.

“We’ve also taken the liberty of creating playlist for each of the Top Tens, so fans can listen to and share tracks by all their favourite artists.”

Fans can find the full playlists at http://www.myspace.com/aussiehub/music/playlists

Top Ten Male Artists
1 Michael Jackson
2 Justin Timberlake
3 Bob Marley
4 Kanye West
5 Jay-Z
6 Elvis Presley
7 2Pac
8 Johnny Cash
9 David Bowie
10 Bob Dylan

Top Ten Female Artists
1 Pink
2 Lady Gaga
3 Madonna
4 Britney Spears
5 Mariah Carey
6 Kylie Minogue
7 Janet Jackson
8 Tina Turner
9 Aretha Franklin
10 Mary J Blige

Top Ten Bands
1 AC/DC
2 Nirvana
3 Red Hot Chilli Peppers
4 Beatles
5 Guns N Roses
6 Coldplay
7 Queen
8 Metallica
9 U2
10 Led Zeppelin

Top Ten Music Videos
1 Michael Jackson – Thriller
2 Lady GaGa (feat. Beyonce) – Telephone
3 AC/DC – Long Way To The Top
4 Daft Punk – Around The World
5 Michael Jackson – Thriller
6 My Chemical Romance – Helena
7 Britney Spears – Baby, One More Time
8 OK Go – Here It Goes Again
9 Jay-Z – 99 Problems
10 Johnny Cash – Hurt

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...world-by-myspace/story-e6frf9hf-1225936073128

Fans can find the full playlists at http://www.myspace.com/aussiehub/music/playlists

Top Ten Male Artists
1 Michael Jackson
2 Justin Timberlake
3 Bob Marley
4 Kanye West
5 Jay-Z
6 Elvis Presley
7 2Pac
8 Johnny Cash
9 David Bowie
10 Bob Dylan

Big insult for the word " MUSIC "

Where is the master James Brown? Where is Marvin Gaye? Where is John Lennon?

Lol at the white shit of Justin Timberlake.

BULLSHIT.

There are a lot of laughable things there, such as Timberlake's, Kayne West's an Jay-Z's position in the Top 10, but I'm glad Michael won.

remember the top 10 is determined by myspace members votes so it should make sense that it doesn't necessarily make sense :)

I have to agree with most of the rankings, with the exception of Justin Timberlake and OKGO. They're mediocre. Everything else seems relatively in place--I would have placed Elvis as no. 02, however. He's far better than Timberlake.

Congrats Michael! =)

And Pink is better than Gaga, however, I think they both owe their style to Madonna, who should have been no. 01.

Remember the demographic of MySpace here. Michael of course is popular with every generation but James Brown, Marvin Gaye etc are sadly overlooked. Personally Stevie should have been in the list but again, its the MySpace demographic.

ivy;3012802 said:
Top Ten Music Videos
1 Michael Jackson – Thriller
2 Lady GaGa (feat. Beyonce) – Telephone
3 AC/DC – Long Way To The Top
4 Daft Punk – Around The World
5 Michael Jackson – Thriller
6 My Chemical Romance – Helena
7 Britney Spears – Baby, One More Time
8 OK Go – Here It Goes Again
9 Jay-Z – 99 Problems
10 Johnny Cash – Hurt

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...world-by-myspace/story-e6frf9hf-1225936073128

Why Thriller is ranked both #1 and #5?

This is another proof of Michael's broad fanbase. Beatles are #1 on VH1's list, but ranked #4 on the myspace list. Pink, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears are nowhere on VH1's list, yet ranked top positions here.

Michael is one of very very few artists who achieved both critical success and popular appeal. It doesn't matter whether the voters are in their 40's or 20's, Michael is the best artist to them.

To some, Madonna is now replaced by Lady Gaga (I don't mean to offend Madonna's fans. I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga. Just saying what I observe lately.) But, no one is yet to come close to Michael.

It was no surprise that favourite Michael Jackson was named best male artist - but interestingly, Justin Timberlake outranked the likes of Bob Marley, David Bowie and Bob Dylan.

The King, Elvis Presley, was less popular than Kanye West.

Madonna was also dethroned as newcomers Pink and Lady Gaga came in at first and second as best female artists.

Jackson's ‘Thriller’ - which was released back in 1983 – remained popular as the best music video.

So.... Michael is the most popular almost everywhere, and ... why dont they name him King of Pop..., nah... why there would be the two kings...?

I can clearly see the (so.called) journalists or reporters writing such articles with blind hatred or to cherish hatred...

I personally am biased in terms of undermining Michael´s status of the global Icon, yes, calling him The KING, he is the true and real KING, but in this article you cant find such a word.

Last edited:
Remember the demographic of MySpace here. Michael of course is popular with every generation but James Brown, Marvin Gaye etc are sadly overlooked. Personally Stevie should have been in the list but again, its the MySpace demographic.

True. Those Top 10's are a bit lame but it's a pretty narrow sample of people. I'm happy MJ is number 1 though.

Yesssss!!! The one and only king of pop/rock/soul/music, dancing, entertainment Michael Jackson rules forever, everywhere!!!:)

Last edited:
Back