MY Thriller 25 campaign....

smoothcriminal12

Proud Member
My Thriller 25 Campaign….
Well, I was thinking about all the promotion for Thriller 25. I came to the conclusion that, it was all really awful. Okay, maybe not awful, but I have never seen that Thriller 25 commercial on T.V. ever. I was upset with Sony for not putting Thriller 25 all over the world, newspaper ads and commercials were all missing. So here, this would be what I would do for Thriller 25 if I were Sony:

December 1, 2007: Announce the release of Thriller 25 and a new single for the album.

December 28, 2007: Start airing the Thriller 25 commercial. Also start airing commercials for a release of The Victory Tour with a Second disc of the Wembly Stadium performance in 1988 for the Bad Tour.

January 13, 2008: Release The Girl Is Mine 2008 worldwide. Start airing the commercial for this song at 9:00 pm on all the stations possible. Put Thriller 25 on at 10:00.

Superbowl: This would be the big night for Thriller 25 if anybody hadn’t heard about Thriller 25. The Thriller 25 commercial again would air during the first and second half of the show.

February 1, 2008: Release the Victory Tour/Bad Tour DVD. The commercial for this would air until March 12, 2008.

February 12, 2008: Release Thriller 25. On this day, also set up Facebook and MySpace accounts for him. Update his YouTube account with many of his short films, performances, and etc.

February 20, 2008: Thrillercast now starts airing today. There is an episode once every week.

February 29, 2008: Run the Victory Tour concert released on DVD on television today, and at the end include a reminder saying The Girl Is Mine 2008, Thriller 25, and that Victory Tour/Bad Tour has been released.

March 15, 2008: Announce that Michael Jackson will be going on a 10-day tour to promote Thriller 25. The tour will happen in the US (for 2 days), Canada (for 3 days) and the rest in Japan.

March 25, 2008: Michael announces he is done his tour and is working on his new album. He announces it will begin at the end of Thriller 25 campaign, expected to end sometime in October or in the summertime.

April 14, 2008: As the single The Girl Is Mine 2008 dies down, Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ 2008 is released. A commercial for this debuts on this day too. Sony announces more exciting things to happen for Thriller 25 in 2008.
April 24, 2008: Another DVD is released; The Making Of Michael Jackson’s Thriller. It is promoted with a commercial and airs on TV.

May 29, 2008: Sony announces promotion has cooled down but that is fine because Michael plans several performances and possibly a new single (not released for Thriller 25) in the summertime. Sony implies that the date for the new single is July 13, 2008.

June 6, 2008: P.Y.T. 2008 is given to radios as a promo single.

June 17, 2008: MTV runs an all Michael Jackson marathon from 10:00 am-10:00 pm. They will be airing music videos, performances, the film Ghosts, Moonwalker, the Victory Tour concert, the Wembly Concert, The Making of Michael Jackson’s Thriller, etc.

June 23, 2008: Michael Jackson: A Look Inside A Genius airs on Television today. It includes that the new album will be released in 2008.

July 7, 2008: Sony announces the title of Michael’s new single that will be released on July 13, 2008.

July 13, 2008: Michael’s new single is released and is promoted more than Thriller 25. Performances, a tour, and short films are only a taste of what the King Of Pop has in store…

That sure would have been great.

Maybe you should do the promotion part for the new album!!

Plan is good in theory but not plausable.
I think what they did was fantastic. I wouldnt have changed it much at all. Releasing a bunch of tour DVD's wouldn't have done T25 any good. It would have just been "another release".
I do however agree they should have done a TV documentry into the genius of MJ and the Making of Thriller and made more use of the Superbowl and Grammys being that they were within the week leading to T25 release..

But all considering, its still sold around 2 million copies worldwide. And its a CD/DVD set. Thats 4 million units altogether! (2m x CD + 2m x DVD)

Here in Australia they had newspaper ads, we had TV ads, the singles, radio play, 4 page spread ads in Rolling Stone magazine, instore posters and other bits and pieces along the way.

Last edited:
Theres a pretty reasonable explanation I think anyways
Thriller 25 was too get MJ's music back into the public eye, not that it ever really went away but to bring more focus back onto his music other than other stories that were focusing around for so long
Plus why throw all money into the promo pot for Thriller 25 when its gonna be needed to a greater extent once the brand new album surfaces :)

I really wanna see a new album from him, that would be great! I really like Akon's version of wanna be starting something but the original is of course the best!!!

This was not a bad promotion for an album that sells copies only by pronouncing its name a couple of times on TV..
A greater promotion could be a waste of money for sony..

The promotion was fine for the album, especially considering this was just a re-re-release of the same album. Actually, the promotion was out-of-this-world over here :eek:

Back