my first official Short Film "Motivation /// Pendulum"

big DB

Proud Member
Hey Everyone!

This is my first ever short film.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xulspkPxkTQ

Its a Self Narrative video about my journey over the last year trying to find my drive and focus which I had clearly lost. This starts with my rejection of a school job and trying to find some sort of direction for my life. This results in many dips in my drive an leaves me wondering whats the point?

It was then I discovered film making, something that drives me and motivates me.

This is my very first film and I know its definitely not perfect, got a lot of progressing to do, however please post and comment any feedback and please rate :D

i just wanted to watch it now, but when i click on the link it says that
"this video is not available in your country" :(

First off – Brilliant!

I think you knew I would be one of the first to share my praise and thoughts on your piece, I am a little frustrated in myself that I never saw this thread before *slaps wrist*.

Anyway, I am assuming you are looking for positive thoughts and constructive feedback on your piece, so I will give it my best shot. First off, I think for a first effort at a narrative piece, especially a mini-biopic of your life in 2008, it is astounding. I found the use of shots, such as match-on-action, were extremely well execute, fluid and interesting, keeping my gaze fixed on what you were attempting to achieve in the shot. I also found the use of camera interesting. I enjoyed the movement that the freehand camerawork achieved at certain points, to me, adding a sense of unease and discomfort for both you (the character) and the viewer alike. I am not sure whether this is intentional, but it certainly added another cinegraphic dimension to the piece. The framing was also great, although sometimes, watch out for head room where you either had a little too much room above your head or the camera cut off certain parts of the body (especially the head), but this will come with camera practice. I am not sure if you took numerous takes of each shot, but this is certainly worth doing for any piece of filmmaking. I also enjoyed the music video feel of the piece, I was looking forward to some dialogue, but as it progressed the film didn't need any, the music and mise-en-scene overlapped, creating a cohesive narrative.

My only piece of 'criticism' is lighting. Did you use any lighting, other than natural light? I felt that although the 'dimness' created a good look to the overall piece, highlighting the emotion of the character, I felt that sometimes a little light wouldn't have gone a miss during certain shots. Without the use of light, there is a little grain effect as the camera struggles to absorb and use the light. Maybe this is exaggerated by the YouTube compression but I am a bit of a lighting geek at Uni so I noticed this!

Other than that, I really enjoyed the film, definitely a great effort for a first go, and now you have set the ball running, I am sure you will learn from your first film and keep creating better and better pieces! Well done Dom!

First off – Brilliant!

I think you knew I would be one of the first to share my praise and thoughts on your piece, I am a little frustrated in myself that I never saw this thread before *slaps wrist*.

Anyway, I am assuming you are looking for positive thoughts and constructive feedback on your piece, so I will give it my best shot. First off, I think for a first effort at a narrative piece, especially a mini-biopic of your life in 2008, it is astounding. I found the use of shots, such as match-on-action, were extremely well execute, fluid and interesting, keeping my gaze fixed on what you were attempting to achieve in the shot. I also found the use of camera interesting. I enjoyed the movement that the freehand camerawork achieved at certain points, to me, adding a sense of unease and discomfort for both you (the character) and the viewer alike. I am not sure whether this is intentional, but it certainly added another cinegraphic dimension to the piece. The framing was also great, although sometimes, watch out for head room where you either had a little too much room above your head or the camera cut off certain parts of the body (especially the head), but this will come with camera practice. I am not sure if you took numerous takes of each shot, but this is certainly worth doing for any piece of filmmaking. I also enjoyed the music video feel of the piece, I was looking forward to some dialogue, but as it progressed the film didn't need any, the music and mise-en-scene overlapped, creating a cohesive narrative.

My only piece of 'criticism' is lighting. Did you use any lighting, other than natural light? I felt that although the 'dimness' created a good look to the overall piece, highlighting the emotion of the character, I felt that sometimes a little light wouldn't have gone a miss during certain shots. Without the use of light, there is a little grain effect as the camera struggles to absorb and use the light. Maybe this is exaggerated by the YouTube compression but I am a bit of a lighting geek at Uni so I noticed this!

Other than that, I really enjoyed the film, definitely a great effort for a first go, and now you have set the ball running, I am sure you will learn from your first film and keep creating better and better pieces! Well done Dom!

WOW thanks so much Foxy I was hoping you would reply, I loved the music and it inspired the piece os much so it definitely helped with the storytelling I agree. Yes those camera movements were intentional, as you said, to create an uneasyness with the character, confusion almost. Yea the cut off heads was a fault of mine, definitely something I'll look to improve with my framing in future. I did multiple takes but hate the tripod I had to use for shooting.

We havent had our module properly on using lighting, we never used any lighting kits so we just had to white balance with whatever light was around, outside and inside which made for a difficult situation as you can imagine, I would have loved to have balanced the light especially indoors with a more neutral light that created that same mood.

Thanks so much for the feedback, our next project is a music video and we will be able to use more lighting, so i cant wait to get started with the pre production. :)

Well considering you havn't been taught about lighting yet, you pulled off a really professional look. So basically, just framing then, which is something which just took a lot of practice when I was trying to sort the framing. A trick is to use two cameras for one shot, that way, if when you pan you lose or gain headroom, you can cut to the other camera (which is usually static) to finish off the shot, thus you have a match-on-action and a perfectly framed shot!

Lighting is difficult to get right at first, but again, with numerous takes and practice shots, you will achieve something very professional. You can buy basic DIY lights from places like Homebase and B&Q which are pretty good as a cheap alternative to studio lighting if you are looking to make a lot of films outside of your module. And get a gel kit, so you can white balance and then add a coloured gel to the light, creating different moods, such as moonlight, day light, candle light, its great fun! And if it is pulled off well you can decieve the audience into thinking that the light is natural, where it is in fact just natrualistic.

Again, well done on your first piece. Looking forward to your music video!

Well considering you havn't been taught about lighting yet, you pulled off a really professional look. So basically, just framing then, which is something which just took a lot of practice when I was trying to sort the framing. A trick is to use two cameras for one shot, that way, if when you pan you lose or gain headroom, you can cut to the other camera (which is usually static) to finish off the shot, thus you have a match-on-action and a perfectly framed shot!

Lighting is difficult to get right at first, but again, with numerous takes and practice shots, you will achieve something very professional. You can buy basic DIY lights from places like Homebase and B&Q which are pretty good as a cheap alternative to studio lighting if you are looking to make a lot of films outside of your module. And get a gel kit, so you can white balance and then add a coloured gel to the light, creating different moods, such as moonlight, day light, candle light, its great fun! And if it is pulled off well you can decieve the audience into thinking that the light is natural, where it is in fact just natrualistic.

Again, well done on your first piece. Looking forward to your music video!

thanks very much my friend, I appreciate your comments and will definitely take them on board, you are an inspiration to me because you are already more experienced in the field and I can learn so much from you.

Dom

thanks very much my friend, I appreciate your comments and will definitely take them on board, you are an inspiration to me because you are already more experienced in the field and I can learn so much from you.

Dom

Making a grown man blush! In fairness though, your editing, is something of an inspiration to me, especially as you are self-taught. You can go far with those skills now that you are nurturing them within your course. Lets make a film? Haha.

Making a grown man blush! In fairness though, your editing, is something of an inspiration to me, especially as you are self-taught. You can go far with those skills now that you are nurturing them within your course. Lets make a film? Haha.

Definitely, we should do some work on a script! :D

Hey Everyone!

This is my first ever short film.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xulspkPxkTQ

Its a Self Narrative video about my journey over the last year trying to find my drive and focus which I had clearly lost. This starts with my rejection of a school job and trying to find some sort of direction for my life. This results in many dips in my drive an leaves me wondering whats the point?

It was then I discovered film making, something that drives me and motivates me.

This is my very first film and I know its definitely not perfect, got a lot of progressing to do, however please post and comment any feedback and please rate :D

:clapping::wild::dancin: Wow Big HUG I really LOVED this :wub:
very inspirational congrats on it! you and everyone else involved in it did an outstanding job! makes me want to do more in my life! I was feeling this way recently and felt like chucking it all. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks for EVERY project youve shared with us. You and the others
working with you are very talented. I Pray you keep on and go much further. Shoot for the stars! :yes: God bless! :clapping:Love it!
Make MORE!!! :wild: :D

Last edited:
Dom that was such an inspiring short film. Never give up hope and when you least expect it an offer or an idea comes right along. That is how I kind of felt when I was trying to see what I wanted to presue my career in and it was there all along. I would go back and remember my childhood memories of playing "teacher".That is when I decided to become a teacher. Dom this piece will certainly inspire young people who are doubtful what to do for their future. As always Dom you did great work.

:clapping::wild::dancin: Wow Big HUG I really LOVED this :wub:
very inspirational congrats on it! you and everyone else involved in it did an outstanding job! makes me want to do more in my life! I was feeling this way recently and felt like chucking it all. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks for EVERY project youve shared with us. You and the others
working with you are very talented. I Pray you keep on and go much further. Shoot for the stars! :yes: God bless! :clapping:Love it!
Make MORE!!! :wild: :D

Dom that was such an inspiring short film. Never give up hope and when you least expect it an offer or an idea comes right along. That is how I kind of felt when I was trying to see what I wanted to presue my career in and it was there all along. I would go back and remember my childhood memories of playing "teacher".That is when I decided to become a teacher. Dom this piece will certainly inspire young people who are doubtful what to do for their future. As always Dom you did great work.

thanks, much love! :punk:

Back