My Cousin Solomon Burke has Passed away

ruchie

Proud Member
If This has been posted before about Solomon Burke's passing, I Apologize. But It means alot to me to say That The legendary King Of Rock And Soul is My Cousin on my Father's side of the family.He was the 1st cousin of My Grandmother and Yes He was born in Philly,PA and Became a Preacher Before he became the Icon he was. He could sing in anystyle he wanted to but still have the Soul Gospel sound that other singers try to copy but they brought out his songs better. Wilson The Wicked Pickett and Otis Redding and The Rolling Stones ,Eric Clapton, The Blues Brothers, Etta James all sang his songs,Cry for me ,Everybody Need Somebody To Love.Don't Give Up On Me,Stupidity. He was a serious person when it came to his music and a very loving man ,A man who took
care of his 21 grown Children and 90 Grands and 19 Great Grands. And love people. And Yes Peeps He knew Michael very well. Now they not only recieved Honors at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.They are upthere in Heaven together. What a show that is going on upthere.
His next to last CD Nothing's Impossible just was released in April of this year and His Last CD is due out this month. As I've been told He was on his way to Amsterdam from LA to do a show and Died on The Plane. I'm still trying to findout what happen to him while he was on the plane. I guess the turbulance was too much for him and yes he had health problems also. He actually died on My Grandmother's(His First Cousin's) Birthday ,Of all days.OCTOBER 10th,My Grandmother would had been over 100 years.110 had she still lived.
All I know is God and Music was his first loves and People and the joy to make people happy doing his old stuff during his shows was his thing. I never got to meet him but My Cousin Thomas has stayed at his aunt's house while he was in Cali and Went to Solomon's Church in LA when Solomon was between gigs. He did hung out with him for a bit and told stories of his trips and Other things.
You guys have to listen to his oldstuff.It will blow your mind and His New Stuff.He puts the same energy as he's done with his old stuff. Funeral arrangements are pending but if he's going to be buried at Forest Lawn where Michael is.I think it would be great. Rest In Peace My Cousin, You are upthere in Heaven Preaching and doing a show for The Lord.:angel:

Last edited:
my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this hard time, ruchie.
Very sorry for your loss xx

Sorry for your loss :hug:, my brother is a big fan of him

Sorry for your loss :hug:, my brother is a big fan of him
Thank You Fondero. I listen from time to time to his music,They play some of his albums in his website.And I'm proud to know he has accomplished want he wanted to do.Spread His Word of God and His Music to the world.I'm sad he's gone but I know His Music will live on.I just wished I had gotten to know him like some other people in my family had. The Stories he tells were whoppers I'm told and he did had a sense of humor. He will be missed.
:angel:

My mom has some of his records. My favorite is a song called Peepin'. I heard about this the other day. I started to make a thread, but I figured no one here would be interested, so I put his photo in the Picture Of the Day thread. I'm sorry about your loss.
[youtube]IWrbsclgxkU[/youtube]

I'm sorry to hear that... :( Sending over lots of love and strength for you and your family! :huggy: :heart:
Take care! :give_heart:

Diana xx

Thank You Diana and Duran.. I'm Trying to keep strong through all this. Alot of folks are going home to the lord. Duran ,Your pic didn't come up on my screen but it's the thought that counts.I do apreciate it. I thought there was a thread on My Cousin's passing but I didn't see anything , even if there was one ,I would have still post my thoughts.Thanks for being a fan of My Cousin Solomon, From Heaven he knows who his fans are and the fans who's heart he touched with his Music..

Sending many thoughts, prayers and condolences to you and yours...

God Bless

As Always

:angel:

Truly one of the greatest soul singers and a man who made an incredible contribution to the world of rhythm and blues and beyond, Solomon Burke passed away on October 10, 2010 just after arriving in Amsterdam for a sold out concert. A true character, the 70-year old Grammy-award winning music legend had 21 children and 80 grandchildren - and a legacy of recordings that helped define the very essence of soul music in the '60s.

David Nathan, Soul Music.com founder recalls, "I saw Solomon last year in Italy at The Narni Black Festival and what a showman! Seated on his specially-made throne with an amazing band and background vocalists, Solomon was absolutely incredible whether performing one of his classics ("If You Need Me," "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love") or tracks from what was then his forthcoming album, "Nothing's Impossible." The Italian audience went crazy and understandably so: Solomon Burke eased soul from every pore and poured his heart into his performance. An unforgettable experience."

As we send prayers and condolences to his family, we include here the reflections and reminiscences of two great artists and a major record executive who knew Solomon well...

"Solomon Burke was first a friend and moreover one of the best performers that I had the pleasure of working with.........he was full of fun, faith, and had the greatest thirst for life that he shared with all he met..........on our tours he was the one who was most enterprising as he saw the need during our runs throughout the southern part of the united states our need to eat, since we as African-Americans were not allowed to eat in the restaurants at that time in the '60s so he would fry chicken, make potato salad and sell it to us.........yes, he traveled with a portable kitchen! I will admit the chicken was wonderful and so was the potato salad!

I will miss him as I am certain many of his fans worldwide will. I send sincere condolences to his family and will keep them in prayer for their strength to carry on."

<CENTER>DIONNE WARWICK

-----------------------------------------------------------</CENTER>

"The last time I spoke with Solomon Burke was when he called and said the following: “Billy Vera, you gave Lou Rawls a number one record. I want you to do the same thing for me. You know I can sing rings around Lou Rawls.”

Solomon’s extreme self-regard, hyperbole and exaggeration aside, I pitched the idea to my friends at Blue Note Records, for whom I’d co-produced Mr. Rawls. They declined, citing the not-so-far fetched opinion that Mr. Burke was far too crazy to deal with on an ongoing basis. A couple years later, he would record a Grammy-winning album and have somewhat of a career revival, proving the old adage, “Once a winner, always a contender.”

Jerry Wexler once told me that Solomon was the greatest singer he ever recorded…and the craziest, even crazier than Wilson Pickett. I will say this, Solomon Burke was one of the most enterprising, taking any opportunity to make a buck. He was a prime practitioner of the free market. With 21 children to support, one would have to be.

The Shirelles told me of a tour both acts were on. The bus stopped in Philadelphia to pick up Solomon, who climbed aboard carrying an enormous cooler, filled with sandwiches and other goodies, which he offered for sale to the other performers for a dollar apiece.

By Baltimore, the price had risen to three dollars. By Richmond, it was ten bucks, take it or leave it.

That was Solomon Burke, a man who could squeeze a nickel until the buffalo shit."

<CENTER>BILLY VERA

------------------------------------------------------------</CENTER>

"I cannot remember an artist who's passing has affected me as much as Solomon's. So may of us soul fans always lamented about how such a great talent and larger then life pioneer, could never achieve the mainstream sucess he so truly deserved.

And I guess the reason for my sadness is that while he was alive there was always the chance that it could happen, that eventually he would make the right album at the right time, witht he right label and some kind of karmic justice would prevail.

I had the pleasure of working with Solomon for many years, first at Rhino when we released a 2 cd anthology of his greatest atlantic recordings, and again at Shout Factory where we released three critically acclaimed albums. And he was always kinder, more professional, and more talented then anyone I can ever remember working with in my thirty plus years in the business.

Yes we have truly lost arguably our greates soul singer, but inarguably the most under appreciated."

<CENTER>RICHARD FOOS, CEO/Shout Factory Records and Co-Founder of Rhino Records</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>Soul Music.com</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>

DuranDuran;3019273 said:
Truly one of the greatest soul singers and a man who made an incredible contribution to the world of rhythm and blues and beyond, Solomon Burke passed away on October 10, 2010 just after arriving in Amsterdam for a sold out concert. A true character, the 70-year old Grammy-award winning music legend had 21 children and 80 grandchildren - and a legacy of recordings that helped define the very essence of soul music in the '60s.

David Nathan, Soul Music.com founder recalls, "I saw Solomon last year in Italy at The Narni Black Festival and what a showman! Seated on his specially-made throne with an amazing band and background vocalists, Solomon was absolutely incredible whether performing one of his classics ("If You Need Me," "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love") or tracks from what was then his forthcoming album, "Nothing's Impossible." The Italian audience went crazy and understandably so: Solomon Burke eased soul from every pore and poured his heart into his performance. An unforgettable experience."

As we send prayers and condolences to his family, we include here the reflections and reminiscences of two great artists and a major record executive who knew Solomon well...

"Solomon Burke was first a friend and moreover one of the best performers that I had the pleasure of working with.........he was full of fun, faith, and had the greatest thirst for life that he shared with all he met..........on our tours he was the one who was most enterprising as he saw the need during our runs throughout the southern part of the united states our need to eat, since we as African-Americans were not allowed to eat in the restaurants at that time in the '60s so he would fry chicken, make potato salad and sell it to us.........yes, he traveled with a portable kitchen! I will admit the chicken was wonderful and so was the potato salad!

I will miss him as I am certain many of his fans worldwide will. I send sincere condolences to his family and will keep them in prayer for their strength to carry on."

<CENTER>DIONNE WARWICK

-----------------------------------------------------------</CENTER>

"The last time I spoke with Solomon Burke was when he called and said the following: “Billy Vera, you gave Lou Rawls a number one record. I want you to do the same thing for me. You know I can sing rings around Lou Rawls.”

Solomon’s extreme self-regard, hyperbole and exaggeration aside, I pitched the idea to my friends at Blue Note Records, for whom I’d co-produced Mr. Rawls. They declined, citing the not-so-far fetched opinion that Mr. Burke was far too crazy to deal with on an ongoing basis. A couple years later, he would record a Grammy-winning album and have somewhat of a career revival, proving the old adage, “Once a winner, always a contender.”

Jerry Wexler once told me that Solomon was the greatest singer he ever recorded…and the craziest, even crazier than Wilson Pickett. I will say this, Solomon Burke was one of the most enterprising, taking any opportunity to make a buck. He was a prime practitioner of the free market. With 21 children to support, one would have to be.

The Shirelles told me of a tour both acts were on. The bus stopped in Philadelphia to pick up Solomon, who climbed aboard carrying an enormous cooler, filled with sandwiches and other goodies, which he offered for sale to the other performers for a dollar apiece.

By Baltimore, the price had risen to three dollars. By Richmond, it was ten bucks, take it or leave it.

That was Solomon Burke, a man who could squeeze a nickel until the buffalo shit."

<CENTER>BILLY VERA

------------------------------------------------------------</CENTER>

"I cannot remember an artist who's passing has affected me as much as Solomon's. So may of us soul fans always lamented about how such a great talent and larger then life pioneer, could never achieve the mainstream sucess he so truly deserved.

And I guess the reason for my sadness is that while he was alive there was always the chance that it could happen, that eventually he would make the right album at the right time, witht he right label and some kind of karmic justice would prevail.

I had the pleasure of working with Solomon for many years, first at Rhino when we released a 2 cd anthology of his greatest atlantic recordings, and again at Shout Factory where we released three critically acclaimed albums. And he was always kinder, more professional, and more talented then anyone I can ever remember working with in my thirty plus years in the business.

Yes we have truly lost arguably our greates soul singer, but inarguably the most under appreciated."

<CENTER>RICHARD FOOS, CEO/Shout Factory Records and Co-Founder of Rhino Records</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>Soul Music.com</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>

Thanks for those quotes. I'll send them along for my family to see. Bless you hun.:)

Back