Musically dissecting Michael's work

This Is It

Proud Member
This a thread for a musical dissection, as it were, Michael's work. For example, the drum beat on "They Don't Care About Us" or the synths on "Another Part of Me". Criticise the production, praise the vocal performance, whatever you like.

- What the "Jam" This Is It rehearsal lacked in explosion like the Dangerous Tour, it certainly made up in funkiness, helped by a deep buzzing noise from a guitar with distortion and effect. To make it sound more current and up-to-date, he trumpets were replaced with a guitar lick and loud, grunting, distorted bass - a "Jam" for the twenty-first century.

- The complex "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" production is outstanding. Multiple layers weave their way over each other - something which may only become apparent to the listener at the end when one-by-one they all fade. This is a feat is even more remarkable when you consider it was recorded in the late 1970s; the song is timeless and so ground-breaking.

Last edited:
Having close to no knowledge of music I am glad to see a thread like this. I've been wanting to learn more about the musical workings of Michael's music for a long time now.

Like, how is his music so much different from other artists in his genres or even his peers? I have read a lot on Billie Jean and just how much work he put into it. I know that he didn't bother learning anything about reading music because he felt there was no need too and that he didn't study music theory either as showcased in This Is It.

Having close to no knowledge of music I am glad to see a thread like this. I've been wanting to learn more about the musical workings of Michael's music for a long time now.

Like, how is his music so much different from other artists in his genres or even his peers? I have read a lot on Billie Jean and just how much work he put into it. I know that he didn't bother learning anything about reading music because he felt there was no need too and that he didn't study music theory either as showcased in This Is It.

There were 92 different mixes made for "Billie Jean". Which one was chosen? Mix number two.

As to why his music was so innovative, original and ground-breaking, that was Michael - a genius!

And, as stated in the 1993 Dangerous court deposition when he was accused of stealing the song, Michael couldn't read sheet music as he didn't feel it was needed - when he had an idea he just recorded it on a tape.

oooooh, DSTYGE will always be timeless, i think :yes:

Ok well I've got a musical question. This is something I've always wanted to know. What is that instrument in "Liberian Girl"? It sounds like a xylophone, but I don't think it is. I've always wondered about all the different instruments he uses. I also heard he used some non-instruments to get different sounds like all the car sounds in "She Drives Me Wild".

There were 92 different mixes made for "Billie Jean". Which one was chosen? Mix number two.

Reminds me of when I'm at work and you're working on designs and then they go back with the first one. It drives me nuts.

As to why his music was so innovative, original and ground-breaking, that was Michael - a genius!

But what would be a good way to explain that someone? Like, if I was born now and I heard his music after I've heard everyone else's what would make it so different or so innovative?

I know that for Billie Jean he put a lot of thought and care into that song. Like, he had the area closed off in order to single out the sound of the snare drum.

Ok well I've got a musical question. This is something I've always wanted to know. What is that instrument in "Liberian Girl"? It sounds like a xylophone, but I don't think it is. I've always wondered about all the different instruments he uses. I also heard he used some non-instruments to get different sounds like all the car sounds in "She Drives Me Wild".

Not too sure what the instrument is in "Liberian Girl".

Oooo my kinda thread :D being a Musician I'm always reading up how artists go about creating there Songs, the Synths they used e.t.c.

Not too sure what the instrument is in "Liberian Girl".

It will probably just be a processed Xylophone sound. Ive never liked the production on Human Nature, the song is incredible, but the album track production holds it back a little. It should be enchanting and magical, like breathing in cold air over a sea of city lights yet feeling deeply alone. Sometimes the music has those moments live even without watching michael and just closing your eyes, that it doesnt have on the track. Im not sure they always used the best synth sounds

This a thread for a musical dissection, as it were, Michael's work. For example, the drum beat on "They Don't Care About Us" or the synths on "Another Part of Me". Criticise the production, praise the vocal performance, whatever you like.

- What the "Jam" This Is It rehearsal lacked in explosion like the Dangerous Tour, it certainly made up in funkiness, helped by a deep buzzing noise from a guitar with distortion and effect. To make it sound more current and up-to-date, he trumpets were replaced with a guitar lick and loud, grunting, distorted bass - a "Jam" for the twenty-first century.

- The complex "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" production is outstanding. Multiple layers weave their way over each other - something which may only become apparent to the listener at the end when one-by-one they all fade. This is a feat is even more remarkable when you consider it was recorded in the late 1970s; the song is timeless and so ground-breaking.

Excellent idea for a thread :clapping:
Have given you rep for this- this is it! :yes:

Love the extended ending starting at 4:45

Love everything about this, it's just magical

Particularly like 1:03 - 1:19.

2:40...

I could go on, but I'd be here all day! :lol:

"Leave Me Alone" always reminds me of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" I'm not really sure why.

And the piano during the intro to the song "The Way You Make Me Feel" in TII when the dancers are in the skyline reminds me of the piano in "Peace Piece" by Bill Evans and "Flamenco Sketches" by Miles Davis.

"Leave Me Alone" always reminds me of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" I'm not really sure why.

And the piano during the intro to the song "The Way You Make Me Feel" in TII when the dancers are in the skyline reminds me of the piano in "Peace Piece" by Bill Evans and "Flamenco Sketches" by Miles Davis.

I just learned how to play TWYMMF on Piano because of This Is It haha the Chords in it are E,D,A,G,B :D

^ Wow Cool :) I think those are the same chords as the 2 songs that remind me of the intro in MJ's TII version of the song. There are only 5 chords used. :)

^ Wow Cool :) I think those are the same chords as the 2 songs that remind me of the intro in MJ's TII version of the song. There are only 5 chords used. :)

Yeah MJ just inverted the E & D Chords while recording it :) hence why they sound different but its the same Chords

Does anyone know anything else about his work that they would like to discuss? I feel as if we constantly talk about his life & performances rather than his music.

I wish I knew more about chords so I could say something clever here. But, here are my thoughts, regardless:

-His best songs have such a strong melody. I think he himself even said that melody was so key, because outside of the English speaking world, people aren't going to know what you're saying, and will follow the music based on the melody. And while many of his songs do have powerful lyrics, think of "Smooth Criminal." The song is mostly "Annie, are you OK?" but it has always been a fan favorite.

--Along with this is his skill in layering songs. Think of "Thriller" - how many different melodies can you pick out in that song? And percussion is often considered as another place for innovation (think the spoken parts of "In The Closet," the opening to TDCAU, or the percussion in "Working Day & Night").

--He is also very aware of how to use melody and harmony to create emotions in his listeners. Imagine him singing "Billie Jean" and "Man In The Mirror" a capella - while certainly there's less an effect, you still get the moody unease and the uplifting anthem, just through the melodies.

-His songs are rhythmically complex. The best way I can illustrate this is with a non-example - it's so obvious that "You Are Not Alone" was not written by him because the rhythm was so simple (8 couplet verse, each line with the same rhythm, followed by two abcc quadrains with the exact same rhythm as the verse). Compare that with "Thriller", where the rhythm changes every few lines, and places where you expect a more boring rhythm he changes it up.

-His vooooice! Freaking beautiful. He has perfect pitch, and he sings with such emotion. Seriously, imagine if R. Kelly had sung YANA instead of Michael - would it have done near as well? Michael was able to turn a fairly bland ballad into a chart-topping hit.

--Along the same lines, he is not afraid to try unusual things with his voice. Beatboxing! Falsetto! Speaking (not rapping) in his songs (In The Closet, Dangerous)! Vocal punctuation! These things make Michael's songs sound very different from pretty much anyone else.

OK, that's enough novel for now. :D

I wish I knew more about chords so I could say something clever here. But, here are my thoughts, regardless:

-His best songs have such a strong melody. I think he himself even said that melody was so key, because outside of the English speaking world, people aren't going to know what you're saying, and will follow the music based on the melody. And while many of his songs do have powerful lyrics, think of "Smooth Criminal." The song is mostly "Annie, are you OK?" but it has always been a fan favorite.

--Along with this is his skill in layering songs. Think of "Thriller" - how many different melodies can you pick out in that song? And percussion is often considered as another place for innovation (think the spoken parts of "In The Closet," the opening to TDCAU, or the percussion in "Working Day & Night").

--He is also very aware of how to use melody and harmony to create emotions in his listeners. Imagine him singing "Billie Jean" and "Man In The Mirror" a capella - while certainly there's less an effect, you still get the moody unease and the uplifting anthem, just through the melodies.

-His songs are rhythmically complex. The best way I can illustrate this is with a non-example - it's so obvious that "You Are Not Alone" was not written by him because the rhythm was so simple (8 couplet verse, each line with the same rhythm, followed by two abcc quadrains with the exact same rhythm as the verse). Compare that with "Thriller", where the rhythm changes every few lines, and places where you expect a more boring rhythm he changes it up.

-His vooooice! Freaking beautiful. He has perfect pitch, and he sings with such emotion. Seriously, imagine if R. Kelly had sung YANA instead of Michael - would it have done near as well? Michael was able to turn a fairly bland ballad into a chart-topping hit.

--Along the same lines, he is not afraid to try unusual things with his voice. Beatboxing! Falsetto! Speaking (not rapping) in his songs (In The Closet, Dangerous)! Vocal punctuation! These things make Michael's songs sound very different from pretty much anyone else.

OK, that's enough novel for now. :D

wow great post, i enjoyed reading this

xxx

Back