Music Engineers Who Worked with Michael

TinaG

Proud Member
I absolutely LOVE it when I accidentally stumble on something like this...it's an online community for music engineers and others in the music industry. They have a thread that was started on June 27, 2009--called Post here if you worked on MJ's Dangerous Album. It got merged with another thread and is now 30 pages long. There is so much commentary there from people who worked with Michael and they're telling such wonderful stories and sharing absolutely great memories of MJ--in the studio and out. I just finished reading the first page of posts and just a couple on that page alone were worth the read. I cannot wait to read more. Please, if you have the time and interest, do check it out. I really don't think you'll be disappointed...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...-worked-michael-jacksons-dangerous-album.html

Here are just a few snippets from one post from a member named robmix...

During the recording of "Smile" on HIStory, Bruce thought it would be great if Michael would sing live with the orchestra. But of course, we didn't tell the players that. We set him up in a vocal booth off to the side. They rehearsed a bit without vocals in, then during the first take Michael sang, just about knocked them out of their chairs.

His beatboxing was without parallel, and his time was ridiculous.

His sense of harmony was incredible. Never a bad note, no tuning, even his breathing was perfectly in time.

I was assisting Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis while they recorded the background vocals for "Scream" with MJ and Janet. The two of them singing together was amazing. Super tight, no bad notes. One part after another. When they took a break they sang the showtunes they used to sing as kids. Again, perfect harmony. Mj refused to sing the "stop f*ckin' with me part" because he would NOT curse.

I was there when Lisa Marie was around. They acted like two kids in love. Held hands all the time, and she hung out at the studio for quite a while. I never questioned their love for each other.

Bruce and I were talking about walking to the studio everyday in NYC, and what routes we took. Michael looked at us and said we were so lucky to be able to do that. He couldn't walk down the street without being harassed. It was a sad moment for all of us.

The studio crew got free tickets to the Janet show so we all went right from work one night. About halfway through the show we see this dude with a long beard, dressed in robes dancing in the aisle behind. I mean really dancing . . . it was Mj in disguise. Kind of like the costume Chevy Chase wears in Fletch while roller skating.

I was lucky enough over the course of 3 years to have access to the multitrack masters for tour prep, videos, and archive purposes. To be able to pull these tracks apart was a huge lesson in production, and songwriting. A chance to look into the minds of geniuses.

Of all the records I've worked on, MJJ was the only company to give platinum award records.

One day we just all sat in the studio listening to his catalog with him for inspiration. He loved the process, he loved the work.

awww....i LOVE reading stuff like this too! Thanks for posting! :flowers:

There really is tons of great stuff in that thread. I'm only half way through it, but lots of interesting things they've shared there.

^^ I'm still reading all of it now! lol...I just love stuff like this...

There are SO many little tidbits of information on Mike in the studio in this! Thanks SO much for sharing! Christmas came early this year!! :woohoo:

People, you HAVE to check it out! It's amazing!

2h5jjbk.jpg

check out this pic i found on that forum.....love it!

Last edited:
OMG!!!! If they release some studio footage this would be.....absolutely amazing to see!!!

this is according to Bill Bottrell!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP777
^ Wow, I didn't even think to ask this here, although I had always wanted to know if the Dangerous Recording Sessions were filmed by Michael's crew.

Robmix:

I am dying to know, were any of the HIStory recording sessions filmed at all? .....

There was often a hand-held video camera shot by a trusted employee, like Brad. Occasionally, a full film crew would come in, as in the Andre Crouch choir session for "Earth Song"

"The Making of BAD" yes Michael did bring in a film crew ... I'd love to see the footage, it was an exciting few days in the studio with them.....(this, according to 'russrags' ..)

Last edited:
Back