MTV's "Vangaurd Award"!

pamarella

Proud Member
Of course we all know that this will be the first broadcast of the VMA awards since the passing of Michael Jackson. What I would like to know is will MTV restore the orginal title of the "Vanguard Award" back to the "MICHAEL JACKSON VANGUARD AWARD" ? This is the award that is given to the artist or producers for outstanding production of a music video. It was orginally named after Michael Jackson because of the standard that was set by him in the area of music video production.

I say we shall see. I hope they do....

Last edited:
I hope so - the only person to touch Michael's "vanguard-ness" has been Madonna, Janet ...

...and I can't think of anyone else.

And if anyone here says Beyonce or Lady Gaga, I'm going to bop them in the face.

Janet's video's have been great too, but I wouldn't put her on the level of MJ and Madonna. Michael deserves the title more than anyone though. He's the video king and really broke new ground with "Thriller". When Michael came out with a video, it was pretty much an event. He's still the only artist whose video (Black or White) premiered on network televison. That's a huge deal. That's never been done for anyone else! But Michael puts the M in MTV as far as i'm concerned so I think he more than deserves the title.

but why they removed the name in the first place? stupid MTV

Pleasure Principle? The choreography & shots are ridiculously awesome.

Still imitated, never duplicated.

Janet's video's have been great too, but I wouldn't put her on the level of MJ and Madonna. Michael deserves the title more than anyone though. He's the video king and really broke new ground with "Thriller". When Michael came out with a video, it was pretty much an event. He's still the only artist whose video (Black or White) premiered on network televison. That's a huge deal. That's never been done for anyone else! But Michael puts the M in MTV as far as i'm concerned so I think he more than deserves the title.

And yes - the VANGUARD title should be the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award.

No one did it like he did.

i sure as heck hope that Lady Gaga or Beyonce don't get it.

Single Ladies was a total rip off of Bob Fosse's "Mexican
Breakfast".

Nop, they never changed the name, it's just that they don't do it EVERY YEAR, just for truly special situations.Sometimes instead of honoring achievements on video and music, they give it away as a LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD for social causes. But it remains as the MICHAEL JACKSON VIDEO VANGUARD AWARD.

And JANET got it on the 90's.

I think Janet is definitely on par with Madonna.....and no one is on the level of Michael!!!!

JMO

it IS The Michael Jackson Video Vangaurd Award and here is the list of people that got from what i remember..in no order

MJ
Madonna
LL Cool J
Mariah Carey
U2
Aerosmith

from what i remember so far..

I hope so - the only person to touch Michael's "vanguard-ness" has been Madonna, Janet ...

...and I can't think of anyone else.

And if anyone here says Beyonce or Lady Gaga, I'm going to bop them in the face.

Peter Gabriel was known for his videos.

Back