MTV, BET buy rights to Michael Jackson's This is It

mjdove

Proud Member
The MTV Network has bought exclusive rights in the U.S. to the Michael Jackson documentary This is It.

MTV parent company Viacom announced the deal Tuesday, but did not disclose the cost.

This is It will air on the MTV and BET networks, and on MTV affiliates such as VH1, Classic and Palladia, in 2011.

The network has exclusive U.S. TV rights to the film for six years.

This is It, a compilation of rehearsal footage for a series of London, England, concerts Jackson never performed, was released globally on Oct. 28 and has since earned more than $222 million US in cinemas.

Kenny Ortega directed the film, culled from more than 100 hours of footage of the late singer performing many of his hits, such as Billie Jean and Man in the Mirror.

Jackson died June 25 at age 50 in Los Angeles. His death is being investigated as a homicide.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/11/17/mjfilm-viacom.html?ref=rss
With files from the Associated Press

sp they just bought the film or the 100 hours relearsal footage?

not sure what that means , i hope it doesnt affect the footage for the dvd. anyway looking forward to watching michael on tv.:clapping:

It means they have the rights to this is it the movie, the final product. Not any hours of unused footage.

well isnt this a Good thing MTV BET etc will now be able to air the 'movie' for generations to come.. or is this in deals with only the DVD ..

They have the rights to show the Film in 2011......that's all. It's like any other movie, once it's released on DVD/BluRay. Only because this report is linked to MJ, the media want to report on it :)

not sure what that means , i hope it doesnt affect the footage for the dvd. anyway looking forward to watching michael on tv.:clapping:

Don't worry, this deal has nothing to do with the DVD. This just means that MTV stations and BET have the rights to air TII on TV starting in 2011 in the U.S. The DVD distribution rights will remain with Sony.

I bet that Sky Movies will show the film before MTV does.

MTV have the rights in the US. In the UK Sky Movies could still get the rights.

They have the rights to show the Film in 2011......that's all.

And six years onwards, which is hardly "generations to come" btw, lol. Everyone will probably see it regardless.

VH1 had the rights to show Ghosts but they rarely ever showed it. Sometimes on "Michael Jackson Weekends" and the week of his birthday. They'd play Ghosts (rare), Moonwalker, An American Dream, and tons of videos. I used to watch it all too, every single time. lol They haven't done that in a while though. I wish they would bring it back.

so now I wonder if this means that THIS is it...will still be released in dvd form....I am confused..

so now I wonder if this means that THIS is it...will still be released in dvd form....I am confused..

of course it will. im not sure what the confusion is. when a film is shown on tv. whoever bids the most gets to air it. its not like its free to any channel that wants to show it. u have to buy it off whoever made it. its another way of making $

Back