Motown Medley on every tour set list? Why?

claudiadoina

Proud Member
I was wondering why Michael was keeping the Motown Medley part on the setlist of his tours.Not only that he performed on every solo tour but it was one of the most emotional and, in the same time, cheerful part of the concert for him.He really enjoyed doing it.

Why did he even mention his brothers names?

Why, after he wanted so bad to escape from the group, from the family?

Even in TII he would of wanted to perform this medley.

I think is the most powerful proof of his love, regardless of all his actions towards his family.

Does anybody have a theory?

motown years were a major part of life. why wouldnt he do those songs.im sure he enjoyed singing some of the old stuff and alot of the public no doubt enjoyed hearing those songs sung aswell especially if they were around the first time

no one has ever denied he didnt love his family. singing thse shongs in a show hardly means anything one way or the other interms of evidence..him saying their names is good effect. just like timed tears etc for effect in other songs.

good question for me its the same as why most of the choreos are the same, also the setlist is so similair to whats been done, would have been great if he did new songs
lost children speechless who is it little susie etc which were not ever on a setlist..
but he thats me

I've also wondered why he sticks to pretty much the same setlist and choreos.. Don't get me wrong, I love his dances but you would've thought that he might've gotten tired of them?

I like it:yes:but he did do a different medley on the HIStory Tour in some countries:yes:

He Did An Off The Wall Medley In The HIStory Tour's

I remember reading at the time that he wasn't going to do the medley on TII but changed his mind at the last minute.

I understand why he would want to reference that part of his career, but I don't see why he couldn't perform something like One Day In Your Life instead of the J5 medley over and over again. How amazing would it have been to watch adult MJ sing One Day In Your Life on TII? I almost have goosebumps just thinking about it.

Why, after he wanted so bad to escape from the group, from the family?

Because he wanted to perform the songs as a nostalgia trip, but he didn't want to do it with his brothers :D

I understand why he would want to reference that part of his career, but I don't see why he couldn't perform something like One Day In Your Life instead of the J5 medley over and over again. How amazing would it have been to watch adult MJ sing One Day In Your Life on TII? I almost have goosebumps just thinking about it.
cause most of the audience wouldnt have had a clue what the song was.it would have been great for mj to sing diff songs. but its about pleasing everyone and that means doing the songs everyone knows and expects to see

true, with Michael it's always about pleasing his fans, always :)

Yeah, about that, don't shoot me for this, but sometimes I think that we are as guilty as the tabloids or even more for his problems.We pushed him too hard, never satisfied, always asking for more, but that is another story.

cause most of the audience wouldnt have had a clue what the song was.it would have been great for mj to sing diff songs. but its about pleasing everyone and that means doing the songs everyone knows and expects to see

I'm not sure that's true. ODIYL was his first solo number 1 in the UK. Maybe the younger crowd wouldn't know it but then they probably wouldn't know The Love You Save either.

elusive moonwalker;3294728 said:

- But J5 had many more hits than just I want you back, The Love You Save and I´ll be there. So I agree with you that he was all about pleasing the fans but he still could have varied the songs a little and not performing the same three songs over and over again on every single tour. What about songs like Never can say goodbye, ABC, With a child´s heart, Happy and Got To Be there just to mention a few? Not to mention; who would have complained if adult Michael suddenly went on stage and beltet out Wing of my love?

Elusive, I absolutely agree with you that he gave people what they wanted, and that´s great, but still he could change the songs from time to time considering that he had a lot of hits to choose from. And I also believe that his fans would love to be surprised sometimes as well.

Mr. Norway;3294915 said:
- But J5 had many more hits than just I want you back, The Love You Save and I´ll be there. So I agree with you that he was all about pleasing the fans but he still could have varied the songs a little and not performing the same three songs over and over again on every single tour. What about songs like Never can say goodbye, ABC, With a child´s heart, Happy and Got To Be there just to mention a few? Not to mention; who would have complained if adult Michael suddenly went on stage and beltet out Wing of my love?

Elusive, I absolutely agree with you that he gave people what they wanted, and that´s great, but still he could change the songs from time to time considering that he had a lot of hits to choose from. And I also believe that his fans would love to be surprised sometimes as well.

I agree. After watching various Bad, Dangerous and HIStory tours, I can almost tell you the exact set lists of his concerts. Not to mention the choreography, specials effects, breaks, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Michael was amazing at what he did and his concerts were never boring, I just think they could've been that much better had he varied them a bit.

they said the fans choose for this is it, but i dont buy that.. at all.... alot of fans would choose different songs.. and besised that.... i love his moves but was some how disapointed to see that its mostly the same in the movie..

hes so good, sorry was, but why then do the same? i mean such great dancers great musicians and travis to help why not event your dance?

True but then again Michael needed to trust that he had real fans in the audience and not just people who only know Billie Jean and Thriller.

they said the fans choose for this is it, but i dont buy that.. at all.... alot of fans would choose different songs.. and besised that.... i love his moves but was some how disapointed to see that its mostly the same in the movie..

hes so good, sorry was, but why then do the same? i mean such great dancers great musicians and travis to help why not event your dance?

I don't know but I saw a lot of new moves an variations in This Is It. I have to say that when I heard him say "I am coming to London to play the songs my fans want to hear", I was so exited but I thought it was going to be like a History tour 2 or something, but in the movie we saw it was going to be even more extraordinary :(

Having Jam on the setlist was a nice surprise for me. I thought that MJ would have been done with that song after the Dangerous Tour. There was a thread on a fan forum (can't remember which one) of someone asking if MJ could pull off a Jam performance or was he to old to do it now. MJ might have seen that thread and thought ''Oh yeah? I'll show you!''

motown is where he started .of course he would do a medley every single tour

haha! Probably. But shamone, 50 it's not that extremely old :D I can still see Mick Jagger jumping up and down in his concerts, who knows how he does it but... Of course, it's not the same as 30's but it's not that old :)

Last edited:
Mr. Norway;3294915 said:

NOW that would have been such a Beautiful song to surprise us yeah!!
I love all the old songs his voice was so sweet then........

haha! Probably. But shamone, 50 it's not that extremely old :D I can still see Mick Jagger jumping up and down in his concerts, who knows how he does it but... Of course, it's not the same as 30's but it's not that old :)

Ones you are there? It is not "OLD!" :smilerolleyes:

Back