Motown legend Norman Whitfield passed away yesterday

troubleman84

Proud Member
281x211.jpg

Norman Whitfield, circa 1970

Norman Whitfield, Legendary Motown Songwriter/ Producer, Dead At 65

Whitfield co-wrote and produced 'Heard It Through the Grapevine,' 'Just My Imagination,' 'Papa Was a Rollin' Stone' and many other classics.

By Jem Aswad

Norman Whitfield, one of the most successful and influential songwriter/producers to emanate from the formidable stable of Motown Records, died Tuesday at the age of 65, according to Reuters. Whitfield co-wrote and/ or produced many hits for the label, including "Heard It Through the Grapevine," "I Can't Get Next to You," "Cloud Nine," "Ball of Confusion," "Just My Imagination," "War," the Grammy-winning "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" and many others.

Whitfield had struggled for months with complications from diabetes, the site reported, and had recently emerged from a coma.

"It's a very sad day," Janie Bradford, who co-wrote the Temptations hit "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" with Whitfield, told the Detroit Free Press. Their friend Clay McMurray had reportedly spoken with Whitfield on the phone last week. "It sounded like he was fighting with everything he had to get it together," McMurray said. "Just fighting back."

In a statement released Wednesday (September 17), Motown great Smokey Robinson hailed Whitfield as "one of the most prolific songwriters and record producers of our time. He will live forever through his great music," according to The Associated Press.

While his name has rarely appeared in lights, Whitfield was one of the driving forces of the Motown sound. He joined the label's production team in 1962 and, over the following decade, worked with virtually every major artist on the label, including the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, the Supremes, the Four Tops, Gladys Knight and the Pips and others.

However, perhaps his greatest contribution was bringing Motown artists into the psychedelic era during the late 1960s. Showing the influence of Sly and the Family Stone, Whitfield led Gaye and the Temptations into rock territory with hard-hitting songs that examined the social distresses of the day ("Runaway Child, Running Wild," the drug-influenced "Cloud Nine") and matched the gritty lyrics with driving rhythms, wailing guitars and ominous string arrangements. His most frequent collaborator during this era was lyricist Barrett Strong.

Whitfield left Motown in the mid-1970s and found chart success with Rose Royce and other artists — and won a Grammy Award in 1976 for his work on the "Car Wash" film soundtrack — but by the '80s, he had largely dropped off the radar, only making headlines in 2005 when he pleaded guilty to settle a tax-evasion case.

I read this early today, thanks Timmy for bringing it here. I don't think people will ever full grasp the brilliance of Norman's works. So many great producers never get the full props but I will forever think of him as I listen to songs like 'Papa Was A Rollin Stone' among many great others. I hope now he is at peace given the pain he'd been in for a few years now.

Thanks.

Norman really changed the sound of popular music of the sixties and seventies. Sure Sly Stone did too but I think Norman took it further and he used the Temptations as his voices to get his message across.

I don't know how funk music would've been WITHOUT Norman.

Surely not as classic as it is Timmy.
I thought about you when I read this story.

The brillance of those songs is nothing short of amazing.
It's funny cuz you know it, but you dont or cant appreciate the greatness of
the person and their work until something like this happens. Unfortunately.

It's like you go, "Dang! He wrote this song or that song?" And the list is enormous.

Rest in peace Norman.

While his name has rarely appeared in lights, Whitfield was one of the driving forces of the Motown sound

Last edited:
Don't it always happen like that?

For Jackson 5/MJ fans, this is the guy who wrote "Hum Along & Dance" (originally a Temptations joint and then recorded by Rare Earth). Norman was a genius.

Back