Motown 25: An Analytical Study

Foxy..

Proud Member
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
I have just stumbled upon one of the most fantastic reads regarding the performance of Michael Jackson from Google Books.

This link should open up at the beginning of the chapter:

Michael Jackson: Motown 25, Pasadena Civic Auditorium, March 25th 1983

Author: Jaap Kooijman

If anyone is interested in that particular performance (as many fans should be), or if you are interested in the art of Michael Jackson's performance and dance then this is a great read for you.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did, and I have selected what I feel is a stand out quote in a wonderful chapter;

"...although the moonwalk stood out, it was only one of several visual elements that constituted his trademark performance. The single white sequinned glove grasping his crotch, the staccato movement of his pelvis and his angry gaze into the camera have all become classic elements of the Michael Jacksons star persona..."
(Pg. 122)

Reference

Kooijman. J (2006) Michael Jackson: Motown 25, Pasadena Civic Auditorium, March 25th 1983, In; Inglis, I. (ed.) The Performance of Popular Music: History, Place and Time, Ashgate, Pg. 122

thanx 4 posting, i love reading about peeps analyzing mike in a good way lol

it's good in bits..not a fan of the visual re-enactment talk.... especially when it's not balanced.

The best thing i read on Motown 25th was i think the Ebony interview he did where he said that Richard Pryor said it was the best perfomance he had ever seen. Coming from Richard Pryor who was such ann honest performer himself i thought that said alot but the performer Michael Jackson is.

it's good in bits..not a fan of the visual re-enactment talk.... especially when it's not balanced.

The best thing i read on Motown 25th was i think the Ebony interview he did where he said that Richard Pryor said it was the best perfomance he had ever seen. Coming from Richard Pryor who was such ann honest performer himself i thought that said alot but the performer Michael Jackson is.

Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, Diana Ross and some others said the same thing to him that night. I wonder what Michael's former Motown colleagues were thinking about when they saw him perform. They must've been in awe talking about "wow the kid's a superstar now!" ^_^

Back