Monday, June 20, 2009 - Daily News Thread

MsSnoop

Proud Member
News or not....sometimes it's hard to tell....

Michael Jackson Movie is Coming Very Soon

Michael Jackson: The Movie is rapidly moving closer towards becoming a reality as several movie studios make aggressive astronomical bids for the theatrical and home video distribution rights.

According to the LA Times who cites "sources close to the negotiations, Sony Pictures has emerged as the front-runner with a whopping $50 million bid. Universal, Fox and Paramount have also submitted bids whose values are not known.

Sony's position is bolstered by the fact that their music division owns the publishing rights to Michael Jackson's solo performances with the power to block anyone else from using his songs. Couple that with their theatrical unit's big bid and its hard to imagine another studio coming out on top.

In total there are roughly 1200 hours of recorded rehearsal footage in high definition of Michael Jackson for his "This Is It" comeback tour. Of most interest to the studios is footage filmed during the final week of the performer's life which closely mirrored what the real deal would have looked like as the entire cast was in full dress and the stages were dressed. Two of the more elaborate set pieces were filmed in 3D.

Sony's plan is to release Michael Jackson: The Movie, or whatever name is bestowed upon the film, theatrically in October with a home video release likely on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in 2010. A director has not been attached or rumored for the film as of yet, but would have to be soon in order to get the movie ready in time.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Michael_Jackson_Movie_is_Coming_Very_Soon/5302

Michael Jackson in motion.

New Yorker - Joan Acocella -
Michael Peters, Vincent Paterson, and Jeffrey Daniel, all of them experienced stage and TV choreographers, collaborated with Jackson. ...

Jackson Assets Draw the Gaze of Wall Street

New York Times - Andrew Ross Sorkin, Michael J. de la Merced -
As the world sorts through the pieces of Michael Jackson's life one month after his death, so, too, ...

Carol Saunders: Jupiter musician appeared on Michael Jackson's ...

TCPalm - Carol Saunders -

He worked with Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones on the late former pop-icon's mega-hit album, “Bad,” and still receives residuals for the honor. ...

San Fernando Valley Business Journal

No “Thriller” of a Media Event in Encino

San Fernando Valley Business Journal Staff

Elvis has left the building, Michael Jackson has left the Staples Center, and we’re left with sensory – and media – overload.

Those basing an opinion on the sheer volume of the media coverage afforded Michael Jackson’s death would be safe to conclude that his demise spells the end of life on Earth as we know it.

Now we can look forward to near-endless – and breathless – coverage by Entertainment Tonight, TMZ, and all the similar mind-numbing television programs covering Jackson-related lawsuits, drug use, his burial site, and a whole host of post-mortem issues.

There is, of course, a strong Valley connection to all of this. Since the early ‘70s, the Jackson family home has been on Hayvenhurst Ave. in Encino, barely a white glove’s throw up the street from Gelson’s.

The media call it the “Jackson Compound,” as if it encompassed a palatial mansion with numerous outbuildings scattered over several acres…nothing could be further from the truth. But it sounds good.

In fact, from now on, friends are expected to speak of the “Cooper Compound” when referring to my modest domicile, located a few blocks south of the Jacksons.

From the moment of Jackson’s death on June 25, fans began trekking to the “Jackson Compound” with the fervor of Muslims making their once-in-a-lifetime religious hajj to Mecca.

Out of pure journalistic imperative I spent some time watching our Encino version of Ringling Bros. Circus.

On the west side of the street, fans quickly erected a make-shift shrine, complete with scrawled messages, balloons, floral bouquets, and even a teddy bear or two. Most of them, quite orderly within iron barriers, tacked items up on the fences of the Jackson home’s next-door neighbors (long-suffering folk they must be!) until the walls were a mass of color more than 30 feet wide.

An equally fascinating show unfolded on the east side of the street…a show starring the world’s media.

Yours truly was in charge of media at the annual Academy Awards for ten years, but I’ve never seen so many huge satellite dishes in one place at one time (11, at one count). Somehow they reminded me of the aliens in H. G. Wells’ War of the Worlds, striding relentlessly across the landscape. Hundreds – no exaggeration – of reporters, videographers, sound people, technicians, all were there to record, and report, the slightest bit of information.

Overhead, beginning at daybreak the day of the Staples Center memorial service, three or four helicopters swirled and hovered over Encino, making sure we had an unfettered aerial view of the goings-on on television, but oblivious to the infuriated residents below awakened by their noise.

On my weekend walk (I delude myself into thinking it’s part of my exercise regimen) from the Cooper Compound to the Starbucks at Ventura Blvd. and Hayvenhurst Ave. and back, still unshaven and unshowered, KABC-TV’s Luanne Suter gave me my 15 seconds (not minutes, in my case) of fame. She asked me about the inconveniences of the continuing closure of Hayvenhurst, automobiles parked bumper-to-bumper on every side street, and strangers wandering through the neighborhood every hour of the night and day.

Being the consummate public relations professional, I lied through clenched teeth, muttering something about it being a minor inconvenience.

At an Encino Neighborhood Council meeting convened on July 8 in the musty but venerable Encino Woman’s Club, more than one local excoriated the media overkill. Interestingly, the media’s intrusion into the life of local residents engendered much more heat than the visiting fans (a word derived from the word “fanatic”) who visited the family home (uh, sorry, compound).

Finally, at about 11 p.m. on Wednesday, July 8, the LAPD opened Hayvenhurst Ave. to through traffic.

The highly regarded Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, an independent opinion research group that studies attitudes toward the press, politics and public policy issues, looked at the Jackson media coverage (dare we say overkill?) in its most recent survey.

Their survey revealed that “nearly two-in-three Americans say news organizations gave too much coverage to the story.”

A separate analysis by the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism showed that from the announcement of Jackson’s death on Thursday to the end of the day Friday, “60 percent of the news coverage studied was devoted to his death, his life story and his legacy.”

And this while protests continued in Iran, healthcare reform legislation was being considered, the California budget impasse continued unabated, Congress was debating a federal greenhouse gas bill, and a train crash in Washington, D.C., left nine people dead.

The cult of celebrity lives…even when its objects do not. When Jackson’s death was reported, Google, Yahoo, and the social networks, were near-overloaded with traffic. CNN got a 900 percent viewership increase. Radio and TV news was all Michael Jackson all the time.

A veritable orgy of Jackson.

Anytime we want to question the media’s, and our own values, all we have to do is note that the combined reportage of the deaths of Anna Nicole Smith, Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson no doubt eclipsed the amount of coverage given to all the Americans who have died fighting for our nation in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sad, isn’t it?

Question: Do the media cover the news or make the news?

Answer: both.

The one function that TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were.

---David Brinkley

http://www.sfvbj.com/industry_artic...87135.1807377.6318752.8403175.338&aID2=139020

3672041509_2601eb82a3.jpg

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1971 - The Jackson Five began a U.S. tour at the Coliseum in Charlotte, NC.

1996 - Michael Jackson visited Nelson Mandela in Pretoria, South Africa. He also announced that he was working on a film about Mandela.

2004 - Michael Jackson's publicist denied a report in US Weekly that Jackson was about to become a father to quadruplets via a surrogate mother. A spokesperson for US Weekly told Reuters that is stands by its story and cite unnamed sources close to Jackson as confirming the story.

2005 - Michael Jackson did not appear for a hearing he was ordered to attend in a Louisianna civil court. The hearing was for a civil suit filed by an alleged abuse victim.

thanks.the movie will be nice!this is what Michael loved to do!

how I wish it was JUNE 20! we could tell Michael to watch out :(((

I know. :(

some news for the daily thread...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/07/20/america-respond-to-michael-jacksons-a-place-with-no-name/

America Responds to Michael Jackson's "A Place With No Name"

Last week, TMZ unearthed an excerpt of an unreleased Michael Jackson song titled “A Place With No Name,” which borrowed heavily from America’s 1971 hit “A Horse With No Name.” America members Dewey Bunnell and Gerry Beckley addressed the song in a statement this weekend, saying they were “honored” that Jackson opted to reinterpret their tune. “A Place With No Name” is the first of what’s been rumored to be a vast vault of unreleased Jackson material that might be released after the singer’s June 25th death.

“We’re honored that Michael Jackson chose to record it and we’re impressed with the quality of the track. We’re also hoping it will be released soon so that music listeners around the world can hear the whole song and once again experience the incomparable brilliance of Michael Jackson,” Bunnell and Beckley said in the statement. “Michael Jackson really did it justice and we truly hope his fans — and our fans — get to hear it in its entirety. It’s really poignant.”

TMZ quoted America’s former manager Jim Morey — who also at one point served as Jackson’s manager — as saying, “America was honored that Michael chose to do their song and they hope it becomes available for all Michael’s fans to hear.” As America noted in their statement, this isn’t the first time a member of the Jackson family has used their music: Janet Jackson’s 2001 hit “Someone to Call My Lover” sampled America’s “Ventura Highway.” Details surrounding “A Place With No Name” remain sketchy, as TMZ couldn’t put a year to go with the recording. No plans have been made for the song’s full version to be released, as only a 24-second clip exists thus far.

Back