Mj's estate executors

DARRELL NEWSON

Proud Member
Although i am sad the mj is no longer alive, i personally would like to commend the executors of his estate for the great job that they have been doing. I personally have nothing negative to say about john mcclain or john branca.

I am also very pleased that one of mj's bad tour concerts from wembley stadium in 1988 was finally released and i love spike lee's documentary on the bad era.

Thanks for everything mr. Mclain and mr. Branca.

I agree. They have been doing an excellent job. Nothing but good for MJ. I have watched the Wembley dvd many times...well, actually All of my MJ dvds, cds and Spike Lee's have gotten plenty of use...I watch or listen to MJ everyday when treadmill walking. Gets me going and keeps me inspired! :)

ready for the blu-ray revamp of concerts and short films, rehearsals etc. hope they take note.

I as well. Plus they even payed much of Michael's debt to go away. Nice job guys.

Besides the "Michael album, i can't really complain. This is it was a fantastic release, as was Bad 25.. However, with there only being about 4 years left in the contract... We really haven't gotten that much material.

Besides the "Michael album, i can't really complain. This is it was a fantastic release, as was Bad 25.. However, with there only being about 4 years left in the contract... We really haven't gotten that much material.

BAD25 had so much room for improvement, including david powell being the mixer for the audio of the cd and dvd, a film sourced show instead of a vhs (which exists in the archive, they just didnt look through it all...) and more bonus material on releases, as well as rehearsals. and a lot more promotion too, thats needed.

These guys have done good, apart from "Michael" but how would they progress without making mistakes. They listened to us for Bad 25 and it didn't go too well so I definitely wouldn't want to be in their shoes but they do a good job.

I really REALLY wish there could be a time machine to go back and undo "Michael". And do it over as it was originally conceptualized - as an album of songs that Michael worked on in the last years, UNMODIFIED, with STTR, Blue Gangsta, I Am The Loser, A Place with No Name, and without we-all-know-what.

Other than that I have nothing but "thank you"s. Bad 25 was the best thing that happened to me in the last 4 years - every time I hear those songs, I feel a blessing from Michael. It was a very very special gift.

a film sourced show instead of a vhs (which exists in the archive, they just didnt look through it all...)

How exactly would you know this ? Is there an actual source that suggests this ? I have heard that they apparently have the show from the night before, but they have stated that they only have the multi-tracks from the night that they found on the VHS. As such, they would have a high quality source of audio right off the bat (whereas the other nights audio may not have been so good). I've heard people say that "why don't they just edit the multi-track from the 16th onto the 15th and if it was Dangerous era onwards, I would agree with you because he lipsynced a lot and it'd be easier to sync up. However he didn't lip sync in the Bad tour, so occasionally things may be slightly off as he may have changed the way he sings certain things.

Money wise, it wouldn't make sense to release something VHS quality onto DVD if they had a whole show somewhere in good quality that could be released on both DVD and Blu-ray. Not only would they lose some buyers due to the VHS quality (especially in this day and age of huge TV screens) but they would also lose profits as Blu-ray sells for more. They lose a few $$$ from me as I would've bought the blu-ray, and they lost $$$ from collectors who would've bought both the DVD and Blu-ray. Overall it just makes more financial sense to release a high quality version. I'm just curious thats all as I haven't really kept up with what they have found in the archive since the release and stuff so it'd be great if I was brought up to date :)

I definitely agree with the marketing though. It was piss-poor. I also heard about the Bad 25 disc being badly mastered too but I have even inserted my Bad 25 Disc 1 into a device yet (as I have no need to) so I'm wouldn't know. Overall though, I am happy with the MJ Estate executors and they definitely seem to have learnt from their mistaking and improving. Keen to see what this years project will be :D

Last edited:
How exactly would you know this ? Is there an actual source that suggests this ? I have heard that they apparently have the show from the night before, but they have stated that they only have the multi-tracks from the night that they found on the VHS. As such, they would have a high quality source of audio right off the bat (whereas the other nights audio may not have been so good). I've heard people say that "why don't they just edit the multi-track from the 16th onto the 15th and if it was Dangerous era onwards, I would agree with you because he lipsynced a lot and it'd be easier to sync up. However he didn't lip sync in the Bad tour, so occasionally things may be slightly off as he may have changed the way he sings certain things.

Money wise, it wouldn't make sense to release something VHS quality onto DVD if they had a whole show somewhere in good quality that could be released on both DVD and Blu-ray. Not only would they lose some buyers due to the VHS quality (especially in this day and age of huge TV screens) but they would also lose profits as Blu-ray sells for more. They lose a few $$$ from me as I would've bought the blu-ray, and they lost $$$ from collectors who would've bought both the DVD and Blu-ray. Overall it just makes more financial sense to release a high quality version. I'm just curious thats all as I haven't really kept up with what they have found in the archive since the release and stuff so it'd be great if I was brought up to date :)

I definitely agree with the marketing though. It was piss-poor. I also heard about the Bad 25 disc being badly mastered too but I have even inserted my Bad 25 Disc 1 into a device yet (as I have no need to) so I'm wouldn't know. Overall though, I am happy with the MJ Estate executors and they definitely seem to have learnt from their mistaking and improving. Keen to see what this years project will be :D

they have july 15th/16th recorded on multitracks as confirmed by the live sound engineer working for michael both nights. as well, he also confirmed that liverpool aintree is shot on film in full. as was red shirt tokyo 1987, and 2 wembley shows as confirmed by the colourist (warren eagles) who colour graded those two shows and an on the road documentary, their's more on film than we know, we just need to know what they have in their posession.

They don't have the shows in full on film. Only umatics, which give the same quality as VHS tapes. The film reels for every show but Yokohama have been lost.

But the executors are doing a fine job. Just a little more straightening up.

I really REALLY wish there could be a time machine to go back and undo "Michael". And do it over as it was originally conceptualized - as an album of songs that Michael worked on in the last years, UNMODIFIED, with STTR, Blue Gangsta, I Am The Loser, A Place with No Name, and without we-all-know-what.

Other than that I have nothing but "thank you"s. Bad 25 was the best thing that happened to me in the last 4 years - every time I hear those songs, I feel a blessing from Michael. It was a very very special gift.
Maybe that could still happen! :)

They don't have the shows in full on film. Only umatics, which give the same quality as VHS tapes. The film reels for every show but Yokohama have been lost.

that is not true. they do have film reels in the archive they were catalogued and identified last year, at least theyre beginning to look through the huge range of concerts, short films, appearances etc. they have on film.. but considering the miles and miles, probably about a billion miles of film negatives, itll take them 20 years to find everything if they keep going like this.they just need to try harder.

The Michael album could have been a HUGE success.
these are all songs Michael worked on later in his life 07-09 that are copyright of the Michael Jackson Estate ( meaning they do in fact exist)
I Was The Loser
Adore You
Boy No
Changes
Days In Gloucestershire
Don't Be Messin'
Hollywood
I Am A Loser
Innocent Man
Jungle
Just Remember
Light The Way
Neverland Landing
Pray For Peace
Rocker
Thank Heaven
World Of Candy
11pm
Bottom Of My Heart
Butter Funk
Children's Hour
Green Hornet Groove
I Love You More
King Tutankhamun
Lovin You
Pajamas
Photographs
Photographs 2 (Instrumental)
Pray For Peace (Instrumental)
Shut Up And Dance
That (Instrumental)
Think Twice (Instrumental)
Walk Away (Instrumental)
You Are There (Instrumental)
MJ / BB Orchestral Idea #1.
MJ / BB Orchestral Idea #3.
MJ / BB Orchestral Idea #2.
Brad Loop 3700
Brad Loop 3.3.7 MJ
Michael's Affirmation (Instrumental)

I will never EVER understand what anyone involved in the Michael album was thinking...

The only real complain i have about Bad 25 is that we did not need those 3 remixes.. when they could have added tracks like Buffalo Bill, Tomboy, and Chicago 1945 (3 of the most famous and talked about bad era outtakes).. If they wanted to include remixes i say there should have been a separate disc with extended versions and remixes like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKgnnb9M5Gc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wKUNl1Peo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX97Lt2hy5c

i also think they could have rereleased all of the singles on vinyl like they did for "IJCSLY"

or at least make that 200 dollar leather case box set they had include more outtakes, and a few more DVDs.
meaning, if you bought that 200 dollar set you would get everything included in the bad 25 package as well as 5 additional outtakes. (Buffalo Bill, Chicago 1945, Tomboy, Crack Kills, Groove of Midnight) and A dvd from both the 1st leg of the tour "Michael Jackson Tokyo 1987" (with Red or Black shirt) and then a DVD of a 2nd leg show, like Wembley.

The only real complain i have about Bad 25 is that we did not need those 3 remixes.. when they could have added tracks like Buffalo Bill, Tomboy, and Chicago 1945 (3 of the most famous and talked about bad era outtakes).. If they wanted to include remixes i say there should have been a separate disc with extended versions and remixes like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKgnnb9M5Gc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wKUNl1Peo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX97Lt2hy5c

i also think they could have rereleased all of the singles on vinyl like they did for "IJCSLY"

or at least make that 200 dollar leather case box set they had include more outtakes, and a few more DVDs.
meaning, if you bought that 200 dollar set you would get everything included in the bad 25 package as well as 5 additional outtakes. (Buffalo Bill, Chicago 1945, Tomboy, Crack Kills, Groove of Midnight) and A dvd from both the 1st leg of the tour "Michael Jackson Tokyo 1987" (with Red or Black shirt) and then a DVD of a 2nd leg show, like Wembley.

you have some great choices friend, the estate should take your ideas into consideration and work it into their future projects, DANGEROUS 25 is fast approaching, onlyy three years to go. in my opinion, Dangerous 25 should be as follows. Michael Jackson's Dangerous 25 Anniversary Edition.

Disc 1:
5.1 mix of the original album.

Disc 2:
Demo's and unreleased recording's from the original sessions.

Disc 3:
Remix Album.

Disc 4:
Short Films Blu-ray/DVD, including making of's, superbowl performance etc.

then for the DANGEROUS Tour.

Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS World Tour 25th Anniversary Editions.

Disc 1:
Michael Jackson Live in Munich Germany, June 27th 1992

Disc 2:
1991/1992 Rehearsals including the full warm up show held in munich June 25th 1992.

Disc 3:
Live Audio CD of the Munich Show.

Disc 4:
Live in Mexico 1993, including the rehearsals held in Bangkok Thailand 1993.

& a cinema release of the 1992 Munich show worldwide for a limited two week run.

to me, that would be perfect.

[QUOTEI really REALLY wish there could be a time machine to go back and undo "Michael". [/QUOTE]

I would go and save michael from june 25 2009

Umatics are better quality than VHS

The film reels for Yokohama are not lost because they do not exist.
That entire show was shot on TAPE.
TAAAAPPPEEEEEE.

It was comprised of the usual 4 jumo-tron cameras, in addition to several other cameras.
TAPE.

There might have been a camera or 2 shooting FILM stuff of the show and/or the audience at all the 1st leg shows, but the Yokohama we all know so well is TAPE.

300px-Duct-tape.jpg

TAPE

If Betamax had won the VHS war we wouldn't have much of a problem. No concerts are probably on betamax but they wouldn't have degraded as bad. we won't get anymore live CD's purely because the audio would suck apart from Munich 97. everything is just stereo mixes they couldn't do anything with. maybe one day we'll get a collector label with everything they've got but for now we just wait until the next release.

Hardly. If we assume the TWYMMF bonus is from umatic, then it looks quite crap.
Some VHS can be better if preserved well.

pft.
Whatever that came from, they dumbed it down.
Even if it was a u-matic source, it was degraded so it wouldn't look too prettier than the main feature.
You know how weird it would look to have a pristine copy of TWYMMF next to the crud they polished for the 16th?

The u-matics of course look great!
Look at any bad tour report, promo tape, or especially the LA '89 bits on THE ONE dvd.
These were all originally from a u-matic (and in the case of the tour reports/promo tapes, dubbed to ANOTHER tape, and they look better).

Arguably, that L.A. 89 12 minute video that came out last year and any of the Lounis videos look better than Wembley. And when I say that, I mean the sharpness of picture and clarity.

u-matic > vhs :)

Last edited:
If Betamax had won the VHS war we wouldn't have much of a problem. No concerts are probably on betamax but they wouldn't have degraded as bad. we won't get anymore live CD's purely because the audio would suck apart from Munich 97. everything is just stereo mixes they couldn't do anything with. maybe one day we'll get a collector label with everything they've got but for now we just wait until the next release.

You're assuming there's only one multi track recording of History tour (out of 79ish shows). Not likely.

Can we please not turn every topic into the discussion of the Bad tour quality? Isn't there a special thread for this somewhere?

You're assuming there's only one multi track recording of History tour (out of 79ish shows). Not likely.

Just using what we know, not speculating that every show was shot in HD with 5.1 audio available. Out of all the HWT shows we've seen, Munich is the only one to have featured great audio, from multi-tracks.

Back