MJ’s best song post Thriller era objectively?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Things I take into consideration to answer this question is the theme of the song, the catchiness or melody and the timelessness of the sound.

I can only come to the conclusion that Black Or White wins this. It has the perfect radio length, it has a positive message without getting corny or syrupy, it has an instantly recognizable riff and is very easy to sing along with. Last but not least they chose for a timeless simple sound with percussion, guitar and drums.

Not entirely relevant but it also comes with a highly original concept for the video (the short version) and brings a very positive human message of inclusion, togetherness, happiness and positivity.

It is a song on par with the best work of the late 70s and early 80s imo

Well, looking which song had the most impact post Thriller, I'd probably agree with you on Black or White. Since not only the song is known by almost every person on this earth, but the short film too was groundbreaking for the time, especially with the morphing technology which was not yet mainstream.
Although I think another strong contender for this question would be Man In The Mirror, since it is one song that everyone mentions when talking about Michaels music (probably even before mentioning Black or White). Also it has become like a theme song for everything related to Michael and his life and you can hear it in basically every edit or video about him. Particularly from people outside the fanbase.

Things I take into consideration to answer this question is the theme of the song, the catchiness or melody and the timelessness of the sound.

I can only come to the conclusion that Black Or White wins this. It has the perfect radio length, it has a positive message without getting corny or syrupy, it has an instantly recognizable riff and is very easy to sing along with. Last but not least they chose for a timeless simple sound with percussion, guitar and drums.

Not entirely relevant but it also comes with a highly original concept for the video (the short version) and brings a very positive human message of inclusion, togetherness, happiness and positivity.

It is a song on par with the best work of the late 70s and early 80s imo
There is no objective opinion. But most popular song is definately BOW. Also I would like to highlight TDCAU and ES

MJ’s best song post Thriller era objectively?
I thought about it a bit and here is my answer:
100.webp

Too many to choose from but some that comes to my mind are

Man In The Mirror
Black Or White
Will You Be There
Stranger In Moscow
TDCAU
Childhood
Give Into Me
Someone Put Your Hand Out
Beautiful Girl
We’ve Had Enough

The way you make me feel, hands down.
Black or white.
Remember the time.
You rock my world.

Those are POP hits.

There ain't no OBJECTIVITY in Art. That just hit me.

Man in the Mirror is the defacto answer.

I play Beat It and Billie Jean often but not the rest of the Thriller album so I rate Bad/Dangerous and History much higher.
Regarding topic its definately Earth Song for this fan :)

I guess I agree that Black or White is probably the most iconic talking as a true Michael Jackson song: a moral theme, catchy and timeless!

Remember The Time is also a great production for being a 'perfect' pop song imo; it's rock solid

It's Man in The Mirror, Objectively. It's his biggest song period.
It certainly grew in stature after his passing but initially it flopped everywhere but the States

PS read flop as “underperformed in comparison with the other Bad singles”

It certainly grew in stature after his passing but initially it flopped everywhere but the States

PS read flop as “underperformed in comparison with the other Bad singles”
It was his big finale song for two of his biggest concerts and it's played all the time.

Out of the album cuts, I think it has to be either The Way You Make Me Feel, Man In The Mirror, or Smooth Criminal. They’re still talked about today, and they are among some of his best material.

Back