MJ's angry speech

Right. I love the speech. And the unforgettable line that comes out of it: "The minute I surpassed Elvis and the Beatles, they called me a freak, a homosexual, a child molester. They said I bleached my skin. Everything to turn the public against me. It was a complete conspiracy . . . I know my race. I just look in the mirror. I know I'm black." Gotta love the crowd's reaction as well.

Regarding the speech and the period, I heard some black people saying it's just that he's got a _______(=the N word) wakeup call....I'm Asian and never been to the US but learned what the "wakeup call" means over the years....
*Esp. Black-American members here know what I'm saying*

I felt and feel sad to hear such responses.....cuz it sounds like, they think MJ once turned his back against his own race or ain't "down with" them enough and only tries to be with them when he goes through things. It's the only media that made it seem like he doesn't appreciate his blackness.

Also, they can't guess so just becuz he married white women. It ain't fair. I do believe he got a deep pride for his race and the culture. All they gotta do is go listen to the Rev.Jesse Jackson interview. That one interview alone tells a lot. I know not all of 'em wouldn't change their minds even after listening, tho.

BTW, Tommy Mottolla should of gotten his ass beaten by no other than one of his former fathers-in-law who is a black man.

Last edited:
Right. I love the speech. And the unforgettable line that comes out of it: "The minute I surpassed Elvis and the Beatles, they called me a freak, a homosexual, a child molester. They said I bleached my skin. Everything to turn the public against me. It was a complete conspiracy . . . I know my race. I just look in the mirror. I know I'm black." Gotta love the crowd's reaction as well.

Regarding the speech and the period, I heard some black people saying it's just that he's got a _______(=the N word) wakeup call....I'm Asian and never been to the US but learned what the "wakeup call" means over the years....
*Esp. Black-American members here know what I'm saying*

I felt and feel sad to hear such responses.....cuz it sounds like, they think MJ once turned his back against his own race or ain't "down with" them enough and only tries to be with them when he goes through things. It's the only media that made it seem like he doesn't appreciate his blackness.

Also, they can't guess so just becuz he married white women. It ain't fair. I do believe he got a deep pride for his race and the culture. All they gotta do is go listen to the Rev.Jesse Jackson interview. That one interview alone tells a lot. I know not all of 'em wouldn't change their minds even after listening, tho.

BTW, Tommy Mottolla should of gotten his ass beaten by no other than one of his former fathers-in-law who is a black man.

and..as an african american guy, myself..the black media are true hyporcrites..and so does any black male that agrees with them, because the majority of them consider white women to be the 'ultimate trophy'. as crude as that may sound..i had to say it to make my point. i know it cus i see it everyday, and for the past few years, on the streets.

Last edited:

a lot of people feel that way and it's not b/c he married white women, it stems from something a lot deeper and more complex. pretty much, he broke the barrier....was on white radio and on tv and was deemed harmless and appealed to every race and religion etc.....and th eproblem was that some think he allowed himself to come off as 'no race' to appeal to everyone and in doing so lost his identity as a black man.

people have their reasons and their reasons are their reasons. but mj's a big threat to everything and people didn' tlike that. it's like they let him play w/ them and he took over and beat them at their own game and they didn't like that

I love his speech, I wish the quality of the video could be made higher but its great as it is already. Does anyone have a transcript of it?????

-yessssssssssssssss! preach michael preach!! " i know im black" priiiiiiiiiceless!!

a lot of people feel that way and it's not b/c he married white women, it stems from something a lot deeper and more complex. pretty much, he broke the barrier....was on white radio and on tv and was deemed harmless and appealed to every race and religion etc.....and th eproblem was that some think he allowed himself to come off as 'no race' to appeal to everyone and in doing so lost his identity as a black man.

people have their reasons and their reasons are their reasons. but mj's a big threat to everything and people didn' tlike that. it's like they let him play w/ them and he took over and beat them at their own game and they didn't like that

hit the nail right on the head

I appreciate your post. It helps me a great deal to learn from folks like you who know more than me.

I didn't say him having been married white women is the ONLY cause of the response, tho. I too can feel it's way deeper than that, even as a non-black person.

Like you said, being an international superstar at his level can cause such misunderstanding from his own people, fuelled by the media hate. I view it as a painful part of his status. Still, it feels bad if we really put ourselves in his shoes. Nobody ever wanna get that response from his/her own people. I know I'd find it hurtful if I was a international superstar and some Korean/Asian people said those things to me.

Last edited:
well thats the problem. you cant have it both ways. some blacks my moan at him for breaking the barriers so that makes you some sort of sell out then they compain that black artist are pigeon holed and arent allowed to break out into mainstream. yet as soon as they do you get some calling them a sell out because they had the audacity to achieve and break down barriers

oh girl, it's one thing to break down barriers and become mainstream, it's another to let the IMAGE become U and let people perceive it that way.

luda is mainstream. hell, lil john is mainstream...u got rap being played on regular radio now....and while they may have sold out (pepsi endorsements and all) they're still who they are. but they make it known it's an image....

maybe that's what the problem is. the man and the mystique blurred a lil bit, not the barriers they broke.

Back