MJ's 5th anniversary celebration.

bobmoo79

Proud Member
Yes, I know it's very early to say this, but it just dawned on me that next year - June 2014 - is MJ's 5th anniversary.

Fingers crossed the MJ Estate is planning something BIG!

I'd love for a proper celebrity tribute, much like other celebrities have had in the past. Sure, we had songs like 'better on the other side' which had awesome potential but was never commercially available, and other songs that were 'low impact'. We also saw individual tributes from performers on their tours, such as Beyonce, U2, Metallica, and we even had the doomed Jackson family concert in Wales, but I would like more. I want something to be unashamedly advertised as a Michael Jackson tribute.

It would be awesome to have some high profile celebs do something that cannot be ignored. Get Beyonce, Jay Z, Chris Brown, Timberlake, Bieber, Usher, Ne Yo etc together for something big and the world will watch. I don't care if it's a tribute single, tribute concert, TV show. It doesn't matter as long as the world pays attention. Only 14 months to go so the Estate better be working on this right now. :D

Last edited:
I would loved to see that happening, MJ deserves proper tribute concert :clapping:

I agree with you, Better On The Other Side (makes me cry every time) is a great song, and some many big names participated to it. I would loved to see something like Freddie Mercury's tribute concert.
Also what would I loved to see as many people as possible that worked with Michael, Slash playing guitar etc showing up :woohoo:

Is there a mistake on your post, only 14 months to go? Did you mean 4 months?

LOL, no I meant June 2014 (post updated).
I know we haven't even seen the 4th anniversary yet so my post is (VERY) premature but it will be a great opportunity for something brilliant.

Great idea. However I can see certain family members crying about how they were not allowed to perform and how the evil estate is making stealing this and that

Family can sit in their homes and watch it at home. This would be only about Michael and his music, not about them. They had their own "tribute" to Michael already, and I for one don't want them anywhere near this tribute (if it's going to happen).

I'd rather see a mixture of legends who worked with MJ and these currently hip stars who have been influenced by him. That would be mega. To be honest these currently hip stars do nothing for me, but I understand they are needed to get the public and especially young people interested. But for the show to be really great and authentic for old MJ fans legends who used to work with MJ are needed too IMO - bring on Stevie, Paul McCartney, Lionel, Santana etc.

I'd much rather have a celebration take place on August 29th. I'd rather celebrate the day when Michael was born.

This is something that i really don't get. Why would fans want to celebrate the day Michael died?

Last edited:
I don´t want to celebrate on june 25th either.
This year it´s 55 years since Michael was born, maybe it could be a 60 years celebration in 2018

I would loved to see something like Freddie Mercury's tribute concert.

I'd love too, but that's just no way. They won't invite Guns n Roses, Elton John or whatever rock n roll people. They'd get Justin Bieber an other pop stars.
Queen - rock. MJ - pop. Therefore can't be.

I'd love too, but that's just no way. They won't invite Guns n Roses, Elton John or whatever rock n roll people. They'd get Justin Bieber an other pop stars.

When they announced the tribute concert for Freddie, they (Roger and Brian) didn't invite anyone specially. People just appeared and/or invited themselves to line-up when was time to start organizing the concert. When and if there is a concert like that organized for MJ, I'm fully expecting seeing great names on the line-up, not necessary the same people that appeared on Freddy's concert. That rock-pop thingy is nonsense, MJ was more than a pop singer:), and I'm sure there are fans of MJ in rock groups too, although I don't think I want to see Axel hopping around wearing only knickers, although it was entertaining to watch but I rather see people dress-up appropriately:)

Elton John - pop
George Michael - pop

Several artists who participated in that concert were pop, rather than rock. There was no rule written that only rock acts could perform. And pop has more to offer than Justin Bieber.

I think they should invite artists who worked with Michael - pop, rock, R&B, whatever. Slash could perform or Toto could perform, Santana could perform, Van Halen could perform - Michael worked with rock acts too. And there you have rock as well. Besides of course R&B and QUALITY pop. Not Justin Bieber: he had much less to do with Michael than any of the above mentioned rock artists.

Out of the current music scene there are also much more credible artists who were influenced by Michael than Bieber. You are degrading a whole genre by bringing up Bieber as the prime example of pop music.

Last edited:
It has to be noted that the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert took place only 5 months after Freddie's death. It was still fresh, the post-death hype still has not died down, of course artists were flooding to pay him tribute.

Great idea. However I can see certain family members crying about how they were not allowed to perform and how the evil estate is making stealing this and that

Oh god yes i so can see that happening too

It doesn't have to be in any particular date, like his birthday, or the day he died, it could be any date in 2014.
According to his will, 20% of his estate monies would go to children's charity, the estate could use tribute concert to launch MJ charity target and collect money for that charity too, or even launch MJ children's hospital like MJ said in that recording that CM had.

Metallica is fans of MJ, surviving members of Queen are fans of MJ, so I don't see any problem to get some rock groups in the concert too. THe estate could ask Sony to send a letter to certain bands and singers that are signed with Sony if they would like to participate on this concert, and Paris could ask from her rock pals to participate too.

I personally would like to see all sort of singers appear, the more variety the better, and should be as long as possible:)

@Rudolf, I don't consider Elton John or George Michael as "Rock", and even less "rock" Annie Lennox, Lisa Stansfield, Seal, Paul Young or Liza Minnelli. They are as "Pop" as they come:) I'm quite sure all the singers can sing any genre if they want, its just they prefer to sing certain genre. MJ sang many genre's, not just pop, so can others too.

It doesn't have to be in any particular date, like his birthday, or the day he died, it could be any date in 2014.
According to his will, 20% of his estate monies would go to children's charity, the estate could use tribute concert to launch MJ charity target and collect money for that charity too, or even launch MJ children's hospital like MJ said in that recording that CM had.

Good points

Beethovens classical music

pop
Lonely lovers symphony
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pm6Q6kKhyC4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rock
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xew8SXUMxsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It´s music.

It would be nice with a charity concert

^^ I like the idea of charity concert.
Freddie Mercury's tribute concert was for AIDS awareness, I thought if the estate makes this concert similar than Freddie's except they announce children's charity (or MJ children"s hospital), they will get nice punch of artists to appear.

Not gone through this thread, but just wanted to share that I'm one of those guys who would normally not like to do anything on June 25th, and just block everything out. I was therefore blessed in 2010 & 2011, when on June 25th, I got to see Bon Jovi at The O2 & Hyde Park respectively.

Last year, I was at work, so managed to just get on with the day.

I do however have the opinion that if anyone feels like doiong anything, it should be more of a celebration than just a gathering with a depressed feeling.

Best of Luck whatever your plans are when the day arrives :)

Wait a minute.

"5 year anniversary"?! CELEBRATION?!

Why the hell would ANYONE want to celebrate the fact that it's going to be 5 years since Michael died? WHY? :ermm:

Why the hell would ANYONE want to celebrate the fact that it's going to be 5 years since Michael died? WHY? :ermm:

I can understand why u feel that way but the way many fans see it, its a way to celebrate the legacy he left behind with his great music and the great humanitarin work he did

I can understand why u feel that way but the way many fans see it, its a way to celebrate the legacy he left behind with his great music and the great humanitarin work he did

But wouldn't it be better to celebrate MJ's legacy on August 29th?

I'd much rather have a celebration take place on August 29th. I'd rather celebrate the day when Michael was born.

This is something that i really don't get. Why would fans want to celebrate the day Michael died?

I don't think it's about literally celebrating the day he died, but more formally honoring his memory on that day. You're gonna be consumed with him on that day anyways, sometimes it's nice to concentrate on highlighting the good stuff instead of dwelling and staying miserable in the pain; at the very least on the 25th. Everyone is different though... :/

Back