MJ Tribute at Superbowl

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member
FAMU's band revs Super Bowl crowd with Jackson tribute

By Angeline J. Taylor • DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER • February 8, 2010
(function(){ GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "YahooBuzz", namespace: "remoting", callback: loadcontent, priority: 100}); GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "sharelinks", namespace: "widget.ArticleTools", callback: initShareThis, priority: 91});GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "fontsize", namespace: "widget.ArticleTools", callback: initFontSize, priority: 99}); function initShareThis(){ var _w= GEL.thepage.shareThis= new GEL.widget.ShareThis("sharelinks"); _w.init(); }function initFontSize(){ var _w= GEL.thepage.fontSize= new GEL.widget.FontSizeWidget("sharelinks"); _w.init(); }function loadcontent(){ var _jscntr= GEL.ement("YahooBuzz"), _u= "http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge2.js"; window.yahooBuzzBadgeType= 'text'; _jscntr.setContentUrl(_u); _jscntr.updateRemoteContent(); return; }})(); MIAMI GARDENS — Energetic, electrifying and fantastic — all were words used to describe Sunday's Super Bowl pre-game performance by Florida A&M University's marching band.

The band, known as the Marching 100, completed a rousing tribute to Michael Jackson in less than 10 minutes on the field at Sun Life Stadium. It was a dedication that led Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints fans to cheer with each tune — "Beat It," "Thriller" and "Smooth Criminal".
"Today's show was simply fantastic," FAMU's Director of Bands Julian White said. "They played well. They marched well. And the audience just gave a standing ovation. (Band members) gave all they had, and it came through very well."

Band members and FAMU cheerleaders seemed to be on their own adrenalin highs as they left the field. They passed actors Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher. Entertainer Carrie Underwood, who later sang the national anthem, waited in the stadium's tunnel with band members prior to the band's performance. Former NFL greats Emmitt Smith and Deion Sanders walked alongside the band after the Marching 100's performance. Tallahassee radio personality Joe Bullard, who serves as the band's announcer, gave Sanders a hearty hand shake after the high-spirited performance.
Bullard said, "This was a show for everybody! Who did not love Michael Jackson? Take Michael Jackson's music, mix it with the Saints who've waited 40 years to get here and the Colts with their experience of being here before and you've got a show!"

A show indeed, Rattlers were pumped up by NFL volunteers who kept shouting "Go FAMU!" Another fan who cheered the band on said, "They're out of Tallahassee." And band members just smiled when a lady screamed out, "There go those Rattlers!"

Associate Director of Bands Shelby Chipman said, "I think the band was very electrifying. Of course the music and its relevance with Michael Jackson kind of communicated with the fans. And our great announcer Joe Bullard did a great job of connecting with the audience. I'm proud of these kids."

Students seemed awestruck by the Super Bowl-inspired atmosphere. There were Mardi Gras beads so indicative of the Saints fans. And then there were Colts' fans decked out in blue and white, including one person who painted his hair, face and chest.
Student Melvina Hunter, 19, said "I can't say that I've never seen that many people. But I've never seen that many people in one arena. I fed off the crowd's energy."

And for the Tallahassee residents who didn't get to see the pre-game show, Bullard said, "I promise you — if they didn't see us on TV, this crowd will remember the 100."
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20100208/FAMU/2080315

Thanks Rasta Pasta. I did not know that this had happened. Cool!

[youtube]ZTgXeLLb6fM[/youtube]
[youtube]cPWUUgRoOdU[/youtube]

that was awesome, thank you =)

Gene Simmons must have felt so little after that ignorant comment he made about M J. Loved the tribute:)

just made my day.. !!
another lovely tribute
hope mikes lookin down from the heavens knowing how much he is missed and loved always

Back