MJ´s intended 3-disc Bad album

Mr. Norway

Proud Member
If the information on Wikipedia about the Bad album is accurate, MJ wrote about 60 songs for the Bad sessions, and recorded 30. Following it says that MJ wanted to put all the 30 songs on a three-disc set but Quincy convinced him to narrow it down to 10, with one additional bonus track on CD. But I find it very interesting that there are maybe about 15 tracks left that were supposed 2 B on the original Bad album that we probably haven´t heard. And they must be all VERY strong since Michael wanted to put them all out. So let´s try to compile the whole original 3-disc Bad album.

Michael Jackson - "Bad" (1987)

1. Bad
2. The Way You Make Me Feel
3. Speed Demon
4. Liberian Girl
5. Just Good friends
6. Another Part Of Me
7. Man In The Mirror
8. I Just Can´t Stop Loving You
9. Dirty Diana
10. Smooth Criminal
11. Leave Me Alone
12. Streetwalker
13. Fly Away
14. Al Capone
15. Buffalo Bill
16. Bumper Snippet
17. Cheater
18. Crack Kills (Feat. Run DMC)
19. Groove Of Midnight
20. Price Of Fame
21. Scared Of The Moon
22. Tomboy
23. What You Do To Me
24. We Are Here To Change The World? (Recorded for Captain EO in 1986, but unsure if it also was considered for the Bad album as well)

Okay, now I´ve gone through the first edition of the "For The Record" book and picked the songs that I could find from the Bad sessions. This means that there should be about 6, possibly 7 if not "We Are Here..." is included, songs left from the recorded 30 from the Bad sessions. Could someone who has the new edition of "For The Record" see if you can find other songs that could have been added, or if anyone has any other Bad session tracks that I have missed, add it here?

Please fill in and let´s try to get the whole album together consisting of 30 tracks.

Last edited:
I heard that 2 myself and I hope they release all the Bad outtakes for Bad 25.

Yes, that would be amazing! Hopefully someone with a brilliant mind would suggest that to the MJ Estate people, because I somehow doubt that they would think about that themselves :)

So, I´ve added some tracks to the list. If someone is interested feel free to participate. Do you agree, disagree??

Al Capone is the demo of Smooth Criminal so I doubt it would have been released.

If the album was released as a 3-disc-album it would have been BIGGER than Thriller!

Mr. Norway;3437549 said:
So, I´ve added some tracks to the list. If someone is interested feel free to participate. Do you agree, disagree??

It would be awesome, if all these tracks are released for Bad 25.

Al Capone is the demo of Smooth Criminal so I doubt it would have been released.

If the album was released as a 3-disc-album it would have been BIGGER than Thriller!

- Well, actually this is wrong. According to the very reliable "For The Record" it says:

AL CAPONE: "Song Michael cited he had written in his court deposition in November 1993 - failed to make his Bad album. Demo version believed to exist but remains unreleased."

The demo for Smooth Criminal is according to the same book called "Chicago 1945".

That would have been epic. Michael was way ahead of his time. That would have been so cool. I hope we get to hear these songs in the future.

Some of those songs on the list are on other albums too like "Michael" and "The Ultimate Collection" that has 4 CDs and one Concert DVD from his Dangerous Tour. So I do believe some of them were released just not on BAD. But a 3-disk release of BAD would be a lovely idea :)

"Chicago 1945" and "Al Capone" (the demo of "Smooth Criminal") aren't related to each other. "Chicago 1945" is a track MJ did with Steve Porcaro.

To quote Korgnex exactly.

Remember some songs considered for the Bad album are locked away and we don't know their names, so it would be impossible to guess what would have been included in the 3-LP album.

Dorian;3437954 said:
To quote Korgnex exactly.

It would be interesting to know where Korgnex got this from, the sources he got that from. Because my source is, like I said, "From The Record"; a very in-depth and trustworthy source IMO, which I assume has researched a lot about this. Notice that I personally am not saying that Korgnex is wrong - it might be correct that Al Capone is the SM demo and Chicago 1945 is another song - but then again it could be interesting to know his sources to this, and then why it sais something else in "For The Record". (PS! I took this info from the FIRST edition of the book, so if someone has the second edition it could be interesting to know if they have adjusted the info).

So, Dorian: I am not trying 2 be difficult, it´s just that we need to get all the different info straightened out :)

I highly doubt that there are 20 finished outtakes from the bad album. I think there are many unfinished demos, just like "crack kills" for example.
But anyway, I'd be happy about every demo from any MJ-era :)

Why? if anything it would have been worse, what was the number 1 complaint about both Invincible and HIStory? that they were both too long, it would have been the same with Bad, and honestly, better never means bigger in the music industry, imo Thriller is one of Michael's weakest albums, i like probably just 4 songs on that album, WBSS, Beat It, Billie Jean and Human Nature

Mr. Norway;3437832 said:
- Well, actually this is wrong. According to the very reliable "For The Record" it says:

AL CAPONE: "Song Michael cited he had written in his court deposition in November 1993 - failed to make his Bad album. Demo version believed to exist but remains unreleased."

The demo for Smooth Criminal is according to the same book called "Chicago 1945".

Mr. Norway;3438143 said:
It would be interesting to know where Korgnex got this from, the sources he got that from. Because my source is, like I said, "From The Record"; a very in-depth and trustworthy source IMO, which I assume has researched a lot about this. Notice that I personally am not saying that Korgnex is wrong - it might be correct that Al Capone is the SM demo and Chicago 1945 is another song - but then again it could be interesting to know his sources to this, and then why it sais something else in "For The Record". (PS! I took this info from the FIRST edition of the book, so if someone has the second edition it could be interesting to know if they have adjusted the info).

So, Dorian: I am not trying 2 be difficult, it´s just that we need to get all the different info straightened out :)

From For The Record 2nd Edition:

AL CAPONE

Song Michael cited he had written in his court deposition in November 1993 - failed to make his Bad album. Demo version recorded at the Bee Gees' studio exists, but remains unreleased.
Evolved into Smooth Criminal.
"I recorded the demo for Smooth Criminal at the Bee Gees studio in the 1980s," said Bruce Swedien. "It was called 'Al Capone' at the time."

Thanks for the post KMJ,I couldn't find the quote from For The Record so I used Korgnex's one.

@larry.

Invincible is my FAVOURITE album :D.

KingMikeJ;3438239 said:
From For The Record 2nd Edition:

AL CAPONE

Song Michael cited he had written in his court deposition in November 1993 - failed to make his Bad album. Demo version recorded at the Bee Gees' studio exists, but remains unreleased.
Evolved into Smooth Criminal.
"I recorded the demo for Smooth Criminal at the Bee Gees studio in the 1980s," said Bruce Swedien. "It was called 'Al Capone' at the time."

Okay, but then I have gotten what I need to be convinced. But in the first edition, which I have, the second part of that is left out and Chicago 1945 is cited as the SM demo. It says of Chicago 1945: "Evolved into Smooth Criminal", and about Smooth Criminal: "Evolved from another of Michael´s songs, Chicago 1945".

But it´s good to see that they correct the errors when they occur. Then I´m with you on this one, guys :)

I highly doubt that there are 20 finished outtakes from the bad album. I think there are many unfinished demos, just like "crack kills" for example.
But anyway, I'd be happy about every demo from any MJ-era :)

I guess none of us would know how many completely finished tracks from the Bad sessions there are. Most of them could of course be demos, like Cheater, but then again we know that MJ always over-recorded - and since he also almost released a three-disc-set there can be a possibility that he actually did record 30 finished tracks.

I've never heard about the intended 3 disc album until this thread. Am I the only one?

KingMikeJ;3438381 said:
I've never heard about the intended 3 disc album until this thread. Am I the only one?

- Let´s put it this way: Wikipedia is definately not the best place to get the real "facts", I´m aware of that. And I found that info under the "Bad album" section on Wikipedia. So it´s not sure that it´s 100 % accurate. But those who wrote it in there must have it it from somewhere, I would assume. I don´t know if it´s true but it would have been great if it was :9

On the US Copyright Office Michael's registered (via Mijac Music) 5 songs that appeared on one cassette. Those were:

Registration Date: 1985-10-28

1. Hot Fever (Reg. #: PAu000782048) * Evolved into The Way You Make Me Feel, Released *
2. Tomboy (Reg. #: PAu000782047)
3. Smooth Criminal (Reg. #: PAu000782046) * Released *
4. Dirty Diana (Reg. #: PAu000782044) *Released*
5. What You Do To Me (Reg. #: PAu000782045)

source: U.S. Copyright Office

The Price of fame was suppose to be the track played in the pepsi comercials but was replaced with Bad, with diffrent lyrics.

Tomboy
What you do to me
Streetwalker
Price of fame
Fly Away
Cheater
Buffalo Bill (Confirmed by Frank Dileo 1984/85)
Groove Of Midnight (Confirmed as a working title by one of his producers (Russrags, in gearslutz)

Back