MJ Recording "Shake Your Body" John Luongo Explains how the song almost got destroyed!!!!!

Birchey

Proud Member
Found this a couple years back, someone just jogged my memory, It seems Michael has a habit for cutting his fingers, seems that white tape around his fingers might have been a preventative XD

"During the mixing of "Shake Your Body Down" by the Jackson's I worked for over 29 hours (!!!) straight with NO BREAK!! When the record was finally done, I had not noticed that we, me and my engineer, Michael Barbiero, had edited so much new tape into the 1/4" reel that when we fast rewound the tape it was extending over 1" past the end of the reel and was in jeopardy of being twisted and destroyed!! Michael saw this, yelled to me and he and I in sync grabbed on reel each with our bare hands to stop them from damaging the tape. The recording was saved but the tape machine got a bit bloody from slicing both our hands. The effort was worth it, the record went #1 on R&B and POP charts and saved the Jackson's career. True Story!!

Source - http://www.disco-disco.com/djs/john-l.shtml :punk:

Re: MJ Recording "Shake Your Body" John Luongo Explains how the song almost got destroyed!!!!!

Ouch... sounds painful... it hurts when i have paper cut, can't imagine being cut by a running reel.

Re: MJ Recording "Shake Your Body" John Luongo Explains how the song almost got destroyed!!!!!

Not only did they shake their bodies....they cut them too. lol

Thank you:yes:

What a story! Thanks for sharing

Great story, thanks!

Thanks so much for sharing! I just LLLOOOVVVEEEE that song!!!! Everytime Mike goes "want ya", I die!

and now to know my baby cut his fingers while working on it..., I'm gonna love it even more(if that's possible!), thinking about all the blood, sweat and passion that's gone in the making of this AMAZING song!!! Thankyou Michael forever...we love you most...

Great story, but possibly slightly embellished - the blood, saving The Jacksons' career...

MG... Well when they say you always bleed for your art,I didn't expect of it that way. Well,The end result was The Song was saved and It Shook my Body down to the ground.

great story, thanks for sharing and ouch!!
Though they say no pain no gain - i think they took ita little 2 far:)

That would have sucked. No doubt Michael Jackson would have just done the song again, though, instead of going, "Ah, forget about it."

Sounds like those involved truly put their blood, sweat and tears into this tune! :)

Now when I listen to that song I will have new visuals.

nice story...anything for his music;-)

Back