MJ memorial made $4 million to LA

music65

Proud Member
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-in-4-million-to-la-new-city-report-says.html

November 16, 2009 | 7:26 am
A new City of Los Angeles report found that the controversial public memorial for Michael Jackson at Staples Center actually brought in more money to area businesses than officials paid out in police and other public services costs.

The chief legislative analyst concluded that the event cost the city $3.2 million, including $1.2 million for straight salary, overtime and other expenses. Most of that money covered costs incurred by the Los Angeles Police Department, which was out in force over concerns about huge crowds converging in downtown L.A. for the pop star's funeral.

But the report said that the funeral stimulated the local economy to the tune of an estimated $4 million. The report did not break down the estimate. But it cited a study by LA Inc. showing an increase of $1.2 million in hotel revenues.

The audit also said that cabs and star tours reported a slight increase in business, and suggested that restaurant business probably went up.
There has been much debate about whether the city should have shouldered costs for the Jackson memorial. Critics have said that either the Jackson family or L.A.-based concert promoter AEG Live -- the company that hosted the memorial -- should have contributed more money.

The L.A. City Council's Public Safety Committee will review the audit today.

-- Shelby Grad

i RECALL PPL MAKING A FUSS THAT THE STATE SHOULD NOT PAY FOR the cost of the memorial, turns out it help them. It is ashame people was not complaininning when To sneddon was spendinding millions in harrassing Jackson.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-in-4-million-to-la-new-city-report-says.html

November 16, 2009 | 7:26 am
A new City of Los Angeles report found that the controversial public memorial for Michael Jackson at Staples Center actually brought in more money to area businesses than officials paid out in police and other public services costs.

The chief legislative analyst concluded that the event cost the city $3.2 million, including $1.2 million for straight salary, overtime and other expenses. Most of that money covered costs incurred by the Los Angeles Police Department, which was out in force over concerns about huge crowds converging in downtown L.A. for the pop star's funeral.

But the report said that the funeral stimulated the local economy to the tune of an estimated $4 million. The report did not break down the estimate. But it cited a study by LA Inc. showing an increase of $1.2 million in hotel revenues.

The audit also said that cabs and star tours reported a slight increase in business, and suggested that restaurant business probably went up.
There has been much debate about whether the city should have shouldered costs for the Jackson memorial. Critics have said that either the Jackson family or L.A.-based concert promoter AEG Live -- the company that hosted the memorial -- should have contributed more money.

The L.A. City Council's Public Safety Committee will review the audit today.

-- Shelby Grad

i RECALL PPL MAKING A FUSS THAT THE STATE SHOULD NOT PAY FOR the cost of the memorial, turns out it help them. It is ashame people was not complaininning when To sneddon was spendinding millions in harrassing Jackson.

i guess that's why L.A. is quiet. the one thing i do believe is that the profit is all the city cared about. so, they can go ahead and be happy now. (which i know they are)

well i knew that this would bring money to the city, but lets not forget what the mayor of LA said from the start, that he was outraged that some officials wanted the estate to pay for the security and he even demanded the refund for those who donated money for the security expenses.

Michael Jackson was the best thing that came out of the USA and they treated him like crap when he was alive and then cry when he dies!

Michael Jackson was the best thing that came out of the USA and they treated him like crap when he was alive and then cry when he dies!
ok, this thread isn't gonna turn into a bash the USA thread. thank you.

tHEY ARE ASKING BACK FOR THE COST OF THE security service they provided for the memorial, that is a crying shame.

well i knew that this would bring money to the city, but lets not forget what the mayor of LA said from the start, that he was outraged that some officials wanted the estate to pay for the security and he even demanded the refund for those who donated money for the security expenses.'

So...people donated money for security and the city of LA made back more money than they spent, but they still want money. :smilerolleyes:

T-Mez mentioned that about the millions Sneddon spent on his witch hunt. I guess that's ok for some people. :smilerolleyes:

A long line of black artist find solice outside of the U.S. That is fact. I am born and bred here fact is fact. Josephine Baker, Tina Turner, a long list who's careers went down in the U.S. but they are revered abroad.

California is broke. They should be happy Mike made them some money. Schwartzenegger been f^^kin up

I remember reading haters were asking on TMZ: Who is paying for that? Why we have to pay for this crap…? blah blah blah
I was so angry at them!
Here we go now... .
Haters have to shut up forever now..

Back