MJ Jackets Coming to San Antonio [Update] Pictures and review of event

SimplyMagic

Proud Member
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 10:49am CDT
<!-- End Component ID: 142 - Article Page: Head --><!-- Start Component ID: 146 - Article Page: Image Gallery -->W. Scott Bailey Reporter/Project Coordinator- San Antonio Business Journal

Michael Jackson jackets coming to San Antonio
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/2012/05/michael-jackson-jackets-coming-to-san.html

Jackets owned by the late pop singer Michael Jackson will be on display at Christus' downtown Children&#8217;s Hospital of San Antonio

Michael Jackson was defined, in part, during his legendary music career by his unique sense of fashion.
Next week, some San Antonians, many of whom are too young to remember Jackson, will get an up-close look at his trend-setting style.

Jackets worn by the King of Pop in his iconic music videos for hit songs &#8220;Thriller&#8221; and &#8220;Bad&#8221; will be on display at the Children&#8217;s Hospital of San Antonio (formerly Christus Santa Rosa Children&#8217;s Hospital)

Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital Latest from The Business JournalsSurgeon has built transplant program that has real heart S.A.'s UT Health Science Center picked to participate in landmark national studyCancer centers taking patient care beyond medicineFollow this company on May 21 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Christus officials say the display will be open to the public and is part of a larger tour intended to help raise money for children&#8217;s charities.

The jackets are owned by Austin philanthropist Milton Verret, who says he purchased them &#8220;with the promise of continuing Michael&#8217;s quest for helping children.&#8221;

Jackson recorded nearly a half-dozen albums, including &#8220;Thriller&#8221; and &#8220;Bad,&#8221; that were among the all-time best sellers in the recording industry. He released 13 No. 1 hit singles.

Jackson died on June 25, 2009, at the age of 50.

Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour by Cirque du Soleil is scheduled to make a stop at San Antonio&#8217;s AT&T Center on June 23.

The Business Journal reported in April that Christus Santa Rosa planned to transform its downtown hospital campus into a new Children&#8217;s Hospital of San Antonio. As part of that conversion, Christus is relocating adult services now at its downtown campus to other facilities.

I'm so excited about this! :woohoo: I was scheduled to work on the 21, but I've now requested the afternoon off. :D There's no way I will miss this opportunity. :no:

At the same time, the thought of being close to something that he once wore...............OMG, it's so hard to convert my feelings to words atm. :(

Re: MJ Jackets Coming to San Antonio

Great. I understand this is a charity event, but wouldn't they get more viewers if it was not in a hospital? A major downtown center comes to mind. I mean is it the usual thing for people to go to a hospital to see an exhibit?

Yes!!! It is literally only a 10-minute drive from my house, what are the chances?! If I'm allowed to take photos, I'll be sure to post them here as soon as I can.

SimplyMagic;3639973 said:
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 10:49am CDT
<!-- End Component ID: 142 - Article Page: Head --><!-- Start Component ID: 146 - Article Page: Image Gallery -->W. Scott Bailey Reporter/Project Coordinator- San Antonio Business Journal

Michael Jackson jackets coming to San Antonio
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/2012/05/michael-jackson-jackets-coming-to-san.html

Jackets owned by the late pop singer Michael Jackson will be on display at Christus' downtown Children&#8217;s Hospital of San Antonio

Michael Jackson was defined, in part, during his legendary music career by his unique sense of fashion.
Next week, some San Antonians, many of whom are too young to remember Jackson, will get an up-close look at his trend-setting style.

Jackets worn by the King of Pop in his iconic music videos for hit songs &#8220;Thriller&#8221; and &#8220;Bad&#8221; will be on display at the Children&#8217;s Hospital of San Antonio (formerly Christus Santa Rosa Children&#8217;s Hospital)

Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital Latest from The Business JournalsSurgeon has built transplant program that has real heart S.A.'s UT Health Science Center picked to participate in landmark national studyCancer centers taking patient care beyond medicineFollow this company on May 21 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Christus officials say the display will be open to the public and is part of a larger tour intended to help raise money for children&#8217;s charities.

The jackets are owned by Austin philanthropist Milton Verret, who says he purchased them &#8220;with the promise of continuing Michael&#8217;s quest for helping children.&#8221;

Jackson recorded nearly a half-dozen albums, including &#8220;Thriller&#8221; and &#8220;Bad,&#8221; that were among the all-time best sellers in the recording industry. He released 13 No. 1 hit singles.

Jackson died on June 25, 2009, at the age of 50.

Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour by Cirque du Soleil is scheduled to make a stop at San Antonio&#8217;s AT&T Center on June 23.

The Business Journal reported in April that Christus Santa Rosa planned to transform its downtown hospital campus into a new Children&#8217;s Hospital of San Antonio. As part of that conversion, Christus is relocating adult services now at its downtown campus to other facilities.

I'm so excited about this! :woohoo: I was scheduled to work on the 21, but I've now requested the afternoon off. :D There's no way I will miss this opportunity. :no:

At the same time, the thought of being close to something that he once wore...............OMG, it's so hard to convert my feelings to words atm. :(

Coduscus;3640229 said:
Yes!!! It is literally only a 10-minute drive from my house, what are the chances?! If I'm allowed to take photos, I'll be sure to post them here as soon as I can.

You guys are very lucky to get the chance to see this. ENJOY!!! Hopefully, you can get some pictures and post about your experience. :)

I went to the exhibit. :wild: There was not a big crowd there........maybe one-hundred people or less the whole time...:sad:....that was disappointing to see. :yes: On the other hand, I don't know how much or if at all this exhibit was advertised to the general public (besides the article that I posted above). :unsure: Most of the people there were hospital employees, patients (children), very few walk-in fans (like me), security guards reminding people not to touch the jackets, and of course news media from local TV stations. I was happy to see children lining up to have their pic taken with the jackets........employees and fans took pics too.....some even tried the Moonwalk and the anti-gravity lean pose. :D Oh, and there was music (Bad and Thriller....only) playing in the background. :)

After I took pics of the jackets, I just sat there........in front of the jackets, staring at them..........and missing Michael. :cry: I regret not taking a picture with the jackets right away........news media were there recording, and I didn't want to be on TV..............too shy. :blushing: By the time the media left, my phone and my camera had discharged. :girl_tantrum: However, there was an old lady there who saw how disappointed I was and offered to take a picture with her camera. I gave her my e-mail address and she said she would e-mail them to me............so far, no luck. :sigh:

And of course, a couple of snakes managed to make an appearance and spit their venom, but when they saw that they were outnumbered and that people actually frowned at their comments, they had no choice but to STFU and leave. :clap:

Anyway, I'm very happy I was able to attend...........these are some of the pics I took: :wild:

DSCN0189.jpg
:wub:

DSCN0190.jpg
DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg
DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0194.jpg

Thank you so much, SimplyMagic, for telling us about your visit and the pictures. Sounds like you had a great experience, can't imagine what it was like standing so close to his legendary jackets. You've made me feel a lot better about having to miss out on this great opportunity.

Can't deny I'm a little jealous though xD

I went to the exhibit. :wild: There was not a big crowd there........maybe one-hundred people or less the whole time...:sad:....that was disappointing to see. :yes: On the other hand, I don't know how much or if at all this exhibit was advertised to the general public (besides the article that I posted above). :unsure: Most of the people there were hospital employees, patients (children), very few walk-in fans (like me), security guards reminding people not to touch the jackets, and of course news media from local TV stations. I was happy to see children lining up to have their pic taken with the jackets........employees and fans took pics too.....some even tried the Moonwalk and the anti-gravity lean pose. :D Oh, and there was music (Bad and Thriller....only) playing in the background. :)

After I took pics of the jackets, I just sat there........in front of the jackets, staring at them..........and missing Michael. :cry: I regret not taking a picture with the jackets right away........news media were there recording, and I didn't want to be on TV..............too shy. :blushing: By the time the media left, my phone and my camera had discharged. :girl_tantrum: However, there was an old lady there who saw how disappointed I was and offered to take a picture with her camera. I gave her my e-mail address and she said she would e-mail them to me............so far, no luck. :sigh:

And of course, a couple of snakes managed to make an appearance and spit their venom, but when they saw that they were outnumbered and that people actually frowned at their comments, they had no choice but to STFU and leave. :clap:

Anyway, I'm very happy I was able to attend...........these are some of the pics I took: :wild:

DSCN0189.jpg

DSCN0190.jpg
DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg
DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0194.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and story! I enjoyed reading it, but am shocked that so few people turned out to see it. Are there no fans in San Antonio??? Shameful. I know it's special to see his clothes, as I've seen some of his iconic outfits at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Gave me goosebumps.:yes: I'm sure you will remember seeing these things.:) Congrats on your experience!

DSCN0189.jpg

DSCN0190.jpg
DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg
DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0194.jpg

kermit.gif

Thanks! :wild:

am shocked that so few people turned out to see it. Are there no fans in San Antonio??? Shameful.

Yeah, I think it's a shame too...........considering that San Antonio is a huge city...........population of 1.3 million people! :bugeyed
Why was the fan participation minimal? I don't get it! :scratch:

I've been thinking about it and the only logical explanation that I can come up with (or that I'm willing to contemplate), is that people were not aware of this event. :unsure:

Anyway, Cirque Du Soleil will be here June 23......already bought tickets :wild:.......and I hope the attendance for this event is massive. :pray: :D

@ Coduscus.........would you had known about this event if I hadn't posted the article?

@SimplyMagic No, I never saw any other mention of the article anywhere other than this forum. And I am subscribed to ALOT of MJ sites. Like you said, I think fans simply didn't know about the event. I wonder if there will be more small local stops like this for the jackets...

BTW I'll be at the Cirque Show too in June! Hope you have fun!

omg that is so wonderful! Beautiful clothing, thank you for sharing! :flowers:

Back