MJ is #1 (again) with 373,000 in sales

babykinsilk05

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Hits No. 1 On Billboard 200 With 'This Is It'Michael Jackson Hits No. 1 On Billboard 200 With 'This Is It'

To the surprise of probably nobody, Michael Jackson's "This Is It" will debut atop the Billboard 200 albums chart released today (Nov. 4) with an eye-popping 373,000 copies according to Nielsen SoundScan -- the fifth-best sales week for an album in the U.S. this year.

The companion album to the musical documentary film of the same name is Jackson's sixth No. 1 on the tally and it arrives with his best sales frame for an album since 1995's "HIStory" started atop the Billboard 200 with 391,000 copies.

Jackson collected his first No. 1 with "Thriller" in 1983 and later notched toppers with "Bad," "Dangerous," "HIStory" and "Invincible." Earlier this year, Jackson also notched a No. 1 on the Top Comprehensive Albums and Top Pop Catalog Albums charts with the 2003 greatest hits set "Number Ones."

The "This Is It" film bowed with late-night showings on Tuesday, Oct. 27, before rolling out wide the following day. Through Monday, Nov. 2, the film had collected $36.9 million at the box office in the U.S. and Canada. It's already the second-highest grossing musical concert film in the U.S. and Canada behind "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour" ($65.3 million).

Source: Billboard.com

Last edited:
Re: MJ is #1 (again) with 378,846 in sales

Long live the king, he even shocked me with this one , i really didn't think it would sell that well because it's just another best of really, still bought it myself though obviously.

Holy sh*t!!!!

Is that today's sales or for the whole week???

OMG! I'm so happy for Michael.... (dance around the room...)

^

Sorry for the double-post but is that worldwide or US numbers only?

Just the US sales which is awesome...

HDD isn't official just estimate. He could have done 400k :D

yay mikey =)

Yeah nearly a million copies of TII sold WW in the wirst week!

And not very much new, so very very impressive!!

I can't articulate how happy I am for the King of Pop. #1 Movie,#1 album....I just can't even...... *cries*

Imagine how well an album of all-new material will do!

^ that's what I was thinking. If an album of previously released material can sell 373,000 copies in it's debut week then an album of new material would probably do over 500,000. Jackson has never had these numbers before. Invincible only sold 330,000 copies in it's debut week in the US and that was a brand new album. His fan base has risen dramatically. This is great news

Last edited:

alright people.... so how does it feel to be on top??

umm... the air up top smells great!

congrats mike. thanks to all those fans that made this happen.

i haven't opened my CD yet. I don't think I will, I will just buy the digital album on Itunes.

Speaking of which... does the sale number include Itunes???

alright people.... so how does it feel to be on top??

umm... the air up top smells great!

congrats mike. thanks to all those fans that made this happen.

i haven't opened my CD yet. I don't think I will, I will just buy the digital album on Itunes.

Speaking of which... does the sale number include Itunes???

u just reminded me i have to go buy another copy of this is it to keep in plastic :) i bought a digital copy on itunes too!

I bought the EP on itunes and a physical copy for keepsake.

After MJ passed, I have re-purchased all his solo album for keepsake. The only one missing is invincible...and his motown stuff. I am still debating getting the Motown album for keepsake because of my issues with MJ's siblings (Yes, I feel that strongly about some of them).

All in all....I bow down to his Badness.
MJ, I hope you take a break from dancing in Heaven to enjoy all the accolades.

Last edited:
'Michael Jackson's This Is It' Album Hits No. 1 in U.S. and Abroad

The two-disc companion album to the 'Michael Jackson's This Is It' concert film has hit No. 1 in the U.S. and in 16 countries abroad.

The album, which features the new Jackson song "This Is It," also includes original album masters of such songs as "Billie Jean," "Beat It," "Smooth Criminal," and a spoken word poem by Jackson called "Planet Earth." Included with album materials is a 36-page booklet featuring photos from Jackson's last rehearsals.

According to press materials, this marks the first time since 1971 that an artist's concert film and album have been No. 1 at the same time.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/11/80516/index.html

Worldwide sales -

1. Michael Jackson - This Is It

25. Michael Jackson - Thriller

26. Michael Jackson - Number Ones

40. Michael Jackson - The Essential

Worldwide sales -

1. Michael Jackson - This Is It

25. Michael Jackson - Thriller

26. Michael Jackson - Number Ones

40. Michael Jackson - The Essential

:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed

Holy Moly....WOW!!!

TII now #2 in USA with 196,000 copies sold. (Now certified GOLD with 569,000 copies sold in 2 weeks only)

TII #1 again in Canada with 19,000 copies sold. (Now certified GOLD with 63,000 copies sold in 2 weeks only)

TII now #2 in USA with 196,000 copies sold. (Now certified GOLD with 569,000 copies sold in 2 weeks only)

TII #1 again in Canada with 19,000 copies sold. (Now certified GOLD with 63,000 copies sold in 2 weeks only)

Go Canada!! A couple of stores were sold out of TII the day it was released.

Back