Mj Greatest Entertainer In The World

The Immortals - The Greatest Artists of All Time: 35) Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson is the world's greatest entertainer. One of the most explosive performances I've ever witnessed was Jackson sliding across the stage at the Motown twenty-fifth anniversary show. Just watching that made us all know: That's what greatness is, and anything that doesn't measure up to that is beneath greatness. Before him there were the Beatles and Elvis and Frank Sinatra; Michael Jackson takes his place right alongside those greats.
I'm almost the same age as Michael, and I was one of the original fans. I first saw him at the Ohio State Fair, when I was very young; the Jackson 5 were performing with the Commodores. Michael came on, and that voice of his rang over the whole fairground. I was deeply touched by that voice from the very beginning.
"Billie Jean" is the most important record he's made, not only because of its commercial success but because of the musical depth of the record. It has more hooks in it than anything I've ever heard. Everything in that song was catchy, and every instrument was playing a different hook. You could separate it into twelve different musical pieces and I think you'd have twelve different hits. Every day, I look for that kind of song.
Michael has influenced so many artists, some of whom are picking up on the grandeur and showmanship of his live performances. You can see his influence in his sister Janet, in Justin Timberlake, Usher, Britney Spears, and in Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey. You can see his influence in the dance moves -- the syncopated choreography -- that a lot of young artists use. And a lot of them have picked up his work ethic. When you look at a Britney Spears production or a Justin Timberlake production, or if you look at an Usher production, you really see that they took a page out of Michael's book; they went to rehearsal, and they must've worked eight hours a day, because their shows are flawless, as Michael's shows were flawless.
There are many, many people who think of Michael as a spectacle, and it's sad. All of it has taken away from our ability to see him for the artist he really is. A world without Michael Jackson would be a very, very different world. And I think we should all feel very blessed that an artist of that caliber came into our lives, because he has enriched our lives.
[From Issue 946 — April 15, 2004]
Next: Madonna by Britney Spears

Nice article. Very nice. But I'm confused... what position did they rank him at? It better the blank not be 35... :mello:

O...M...G... it is number 35.

W...T... .... ?!

At least LA Reid knew what was going on. The first sentence says it all: "Michael Jackson is the world's greatest entertainer." (I guess the rest of the Rolling Stone guys still don't get it.)

Last edited:
Its wonderful to grow up being of fan of someone who is nearly your age, and calling them the greatest entertainer ever.

WT....? 35? Are they kidding me????

The Rolling Stone is as relevant as the SUN...

Theyve always prefered anybody else to Michael as the artist..., and the 35th position is a clear example... just in comparison with some of those before Michael...

The Immortals - The Greatest Artists of All Time: 35) Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson is the world's greatest entertainer. One of the most explosive performances I've ever witnessed was Jackson sliding across the stage at the Motown twenty-fifth anniversary show. Just watching that made us all know: That's what greatness is, and anything that doesn't measure up to that is beneath greatness. Before him there were the Beatles and Elvis and Frank Sinatra; Michael Jackson takes his place right alongside those greats.
I'm almost the same age as Michael, and I was one of the original fans. I first saw him at the Ohio State Fair, when I was very young; the Jackson 5 were performing with the Commodores. Michael came on, and that voice of his rang over the whole fairground. I was deeply touched by that voice from the very beginning.
"Billie Jean" is the most important record he's made, not only because of its commercial success but because of the musical depth of the record. It has more hooks in it than anything I've ever heard. Everything in that song was catchy, and every instrument was playing a different hook. You could separate it into twelve different musical pieces and I think you'd have twelve different hits. Every day, I look for that kind of song.
Michael has influenced so many artists, some of whom are picking up on the grandeur and showmanship of his live performances. You can see his influence in his sister Janet, in Justin Timberlake, Usher, Britney Spears, and in Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey. You can see his influence in the dance moves -- the syncopated choreography -- that a lot of young artists use. And a lot of them have picked up his work ethic. When you look at a Britney Spears production or a Justin Timberlake production, or if you look at an Usher production, you really see that they took a page out of Michael's book; they went to rehearsal, and they must've worked eight hours a day, because their shows are flawless, as Michael's shows were flawless.
There are many, many people who think of Michael as a spectacle, and it's sad. All of it has taken away from our ability to see him for the artist he really is. A world without Michael Jackson would be a very, very different world. And I think we should all feel very blessed that an artist of that caliber came into our lives, because he has enriched our lives.
[From Issue 946 — April 15, 2004]
Next: Madonna by Britney Spears

Whoaah, that just gave me goosebumps all over my body..!

pink floyd is not even in the top 20... someone needs to update that list fast...
mike deserves to be in the top 10 at least...

I actually worte a rant on tis on MaxJax:

Do you think that the Rolling Stones are MJ bashers?

I mean to me it seems like they are constantly trying to diss Mike. Like On there Bio on MJ they have got most if not all the facts wrong, all the sales of his albums seem outdated and it does MJ no justice for his true musical achievements. http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/michaeljackson/biography It almost looks like they are trying to downplay his achievements so these rock fans can think hes crap so they can boost these other like Elvis or The Beatles.

Plus they dogged him on their lists of greats:

The Immortals: The First Fifty- MJ was #35, despite the fact that he outsold, achieved more, and had a much bigger impact than most if not all of the artists on that entire list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5939214/the_immortals_the_first_fifty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time- Thriller is at #20, WTF?!?!?!?!?!? This has got to be a joke. Thriller is the best selling, most successful, most influential, and most revolutionary album in history. Why isn't it #1, or at least on the top 5. Or Top 10 for that matter?

And he has some other albums on that list that are so way down that I don't have time to look for them again.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- And i don't know what to say about this list, but I think Beat It or Billie Jean should be much higher on this list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs

guys this was at the time of his legal issues.

media and other MJ-haters would have immediately stood up if MJ was in the top 10, or even at #1. it would've been a scandal coz in 2004 until 2005 it was just popular among media to bash michael jackson beyond belief. it was "da thang".

Well Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13-year-old girl and he's even higher! :DNah, I just think every fan of whatever artist would like to see him or her on top on the list. But I agree MJ should be a little higher.

if your not a rock artist rolling stone won't even credit you.

lol, just look how they flipped opinions on thriller........... they got no idea.

^ true...

I mean, come on, MJ at number 35 for the Greatest Entertainer? It's injustice I tellz ya! :lol:

Number 35??

What a joke! Michael is hands down #1!

And even if for some reason someone wasn't even a fan of M.J., ranking him lower than AT LEAST the Top 5 is a crime!!!!!

Long Live The KING! #1

guys this was at the time of his legal issues.

media and other MJ-haters would have immediately stood up if MJ was in the top 10, or even at #1. it would've been a scandal coz in 2004 until 2005 it was just popular among media to bash michael jackson beyond belief. it was "da thang".

Exactly! And now during the concerts we'll see a lot of the press going back the opposite route and start jumping on the Michael Jackson band wagon and praise him again and make positive news their new "thang".

Of course there's still going to be the junk tabloids but I know were going to see a lot of positive press because the media knows no one is going to tolerate any disrespect to the KING being that London is going to be swamped with Michael Jackson fans from all over the world for months.

if your not a rock artist rolling stone won't even credit you.

lol, just look how they flipped opinions on thriller........... they got no idea.
You're right. The magazine has hardly put black artists on the cover. Didn't MJ point that out in the NY speech? Funny thing is:smilerolleyes:, they do that sh*t when history says rock 'N roll is rooted in black music (more exactly, Black-American music).

#35........It only shows their ignorance and prejudice again. Let me check from #1 to #34.

I remember their list of the greatest vocalist list some months ago and it was BS.

He should be nr 1 on the list
:bugeyed:mat:35:eek: WTF! :angry:

Why???

I actually worte a rant on tis on MaxJax:

Do you think that the Rolling Stones are MJ bashers?

I mean to me it seems like they are constantly trying to diss Mike. Like On there Bio on MJ they have got most if not all the facts wrong, all the sales of his albums seem outdated and it does MJ no justice for his true musical achievements. http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/michaeljackson/biography It almost looks like they are trying to downplay his achievements so these rock fans can think hes crap so they can boost these other like Elvis or The Beatles.

Plus they dogged him on their lists of greats:

The Immortals: The First Fifty- MJ was #35, despite the fact that he outsold, achieved more, and had a much bigger impact than most if not all of the artists on that entire list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5939214/the_immortals_the_first_fifty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time- Thriller is at #20, WTF?!?!?!?!?!? This has got to be a joke. Thriller is the best selling, most successful, most influential, and most revolutionary album in history. Why isn't it #1, or at least on the top 5. Or Top 10 for that matter?

And he has some other albums on that list that are so way down that I don't have time to look for them again.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- And i don't know what to say about this list, but I think Beat It or Billie Jean should be much higher on this list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs

I agree that many people prefer other artists to Michael (in voting like this) because they consider Michael being weird and mad, and they dont take him seriously as the artist.

But Thriller is the best seller, but definitely is not the most influential, and most revolutionary album in history. Where did you get this from?

His influence is larger than most of the artists before him on the list, but... such lists are very subjective, coz the reviewers have a very strict - and subjective - "rule" in judging..., and its sad that its considered as something relevant, because its conscious repression of Michaels achievements! and boosting the Beatles and Elvis status, which is totaly absurd... stating that Michael Jackson is "only" a singer, or a dancer, or... the self-styled KOP...
The serious reviewers do know that Michael is bigger than Elpiss, and at the same level as the Bees but...

Except The Beatles, only Michael has almost all his major albums in top 30 of best sellers = album with over 20 mill. sold copies!

Back