MJ Docu Makers Get Bad News - No MJ music permitted

billyworld99

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Documentary Film Makers Get Bad News: No Music Allowed

It’s bad news for anyone who’s got the idea to make an unauthorized Michael Jackson documentary. There won’t be any music in it by Jackson.

Sony Music isn’t clearing any music rights for filmmakers who think they’ve got The Next Big Thing. That includes sleaze digger Ian Halperin, former Jackson partner Marc Schaffel, and Liza Minnelli’s ex husband, David Gest.

Halperin’s so called documentary, which he sold to the TV Guide Channel of all places (that’s where we all go for serious docs, isn’t it?), airs June 25th – the anniversary of Jackson’s death. But it will free of Michael Jackson’s music, thank you. And full of interviews with people who are on the outer circle of Jackson’s world.

Schaffel, despite a piece yesterday on The Wrap, didn’t actually make a documentary. He sold footage he’d had to a Japanese outfit. They put together a film, just for Japan, and narrated in Japanese. It will play in 200 theaters around Japan starting June 25th, again, without music.

And then there’s David Gest’s purported film. The word is that Gest’s effort is around four hours long and is mainly interviews with old movie stars – Gest’s forte – about Jackson. Gest may have footage from his old sketchy charity fundraisers at which Jackson occasionally appeared, plus footage from his own wedding to Liza Minnelli. Michael was the best man. It’s unclear if Minnelli would have any say in that footage. But again, no music.

There’s also a fourth film, called “The Untold Story of Neverland,” by Santa Barbara filmmaker Larry Nimmer. It was shown last February at the Santa Barbara Film Festival, but it didn’t get much attention. Nimmer makes courtroom films, and was given access to Neverland during Jackson’s 2005 child molestation trial. (Someone should tell The Wrap, by the way, that the trial was in 2005, not 2004. )

Source: MJFC / showbiz411.com

Re: MJ Docu Makers Get Bad News

Lol @ Ian Halperin, he wouldn't deserve it anyway... :evil:
But there have been MJ documentaries before that had no MJ music, whether it's a good thing or not :scratch:
If someone were to make a real good documentary focusing on Michael's amazing talent and career, then it would be a shame if this strict rule applies to everyone.. :mello:

I always wondered how Larry got the rights to use the songs and videos in the documentary

I think it's good news, but sometimes even unauthorized documentaries can bee good: I think Larry Nimmer's documentary was fantastic and a must see for all who are interested in the truth about the trial.

I find it incredible that the estate hasn't sanctioned it's own documentary to commemorate this anniversary. With official never before seen footage, perhaps official photos and the inclusion of MJ's music I think it would have sold well the world over.
Maybe they'll release something later in the year during the build up to the new album. Fingers crossed!

I find it incredible that the estate hasn't sanctioned it's own documentary to commemorate this anniversary. With official never before seen footage, perhaps official photos and the inclusion of MJ's music I think it would have sold well the world over.
Maybe they'll release something later in the year during the build up to the new album. Fingers crossed!

Yep that would have been a good move, and would have overshadowed the other try-hards like Halperin etc. Oh well...

I think it's a good thing the Estate is not allowing MJ music in these films.

But there have been MJ documentaries before that had no MJ music, whether it's a good thing or not :scratch:
If someone were to make a real good documentary focusing on Michael's amazing talent and career, then it would be a shame if this strict rule applies to everyone.. :mello:

I think it would mean that you have to apply for permission and if it's a BS documentary you don't get it...someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Yep that would have been a good move, and would have overshadowed the other try-hards like Halperin etc. Oh well...

Definitely a missed opportunity. Now all we have are these crappy farce-documentaries.

Personally, I would like to see Nimmer's documentary. I'm pretty sure it's quite positive.

I wish they'd just do another TII DVD. I want to see every single moment they have of MJ on film, singing or not singing, dancing or not dancing. My favorite parts of TII have been Michael just being Michael, walking, talking, laughing.
I don't care if there was only 15 minutes of that kind of footage remaining. I'd prefer it to hours of the other documentaries being described, with or without music.

I think it's good news, but sometimes even unauthorized documentaries can bee good: I think Larry Nimmer's documentary was fantastic and a must see for all who are interested in the truth about the trial.

I agree, it is a very good documentary. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone!

please correct me if am wrong but...IT says that SONY say's no to trying to use Michael's songs for documentary's....it doesn't mention the estate. So as far as I can see...Sony is the only one that will profit..because they own the rights to the music. And I agree with you all who said...we should of had a nice little documentary with unseen footage for the anniversary.

please correct me if am wrong but...IT says that SONY say's no to trying to use Michael's songs for documentary's....it doesn't mention the estate. So as far as I can see...Sony is the only one that will profit..because they own the rights to the music. And I agree with you all who said...we should of had a nice little documentary with unseen footage for the anniversary.

It's probably a concerted effort form both the Estate & Sony...similar to the Tv Guide lawsuit Sony filed earlier this year.

Both Sony & The estate get paid when the songs are used...

This I don't understand. The world needs an official documentary, a positive one of his his legacy and how it affected the world.

I can't believe that programs around the world haven't brought the rights to air TII on the 1st year anniversary!!! Oh yeah, its too positive.

I think this is good news. This documentary won't deserve Michael's music in it. However, they mention “The Untold Story of Neverland" and I think this is a very good one. It focuses on the truth and I wish it was more acknowledged. But of course, the exaggerated, media-based, documentaries get more attention.

It's probably a concerted effort form both the Estate & Sony...similar to the Tv Guide lawsuit Sony filed earlier this year.

Both Sony & The estate get paid when the songs are used...

ohh OK..I see thank you....so the estate WILL benefit also....I guess that is ok then..:)

I think it would mean that you have to apply for permission and if it's a BS documentary you don't get it...someone correct me if I'm wrong?

you are right. It says "unauthorized" documentaries do not get the music.

They are most probably allowing his music to be used by good, positive and credible sources.

and it's not about money. if they wanted to make money they would let anyone to use any song and cash on it.

They are protesting/sabotaging the unauthorized documentaries by not letting them to use the music.

Last edited:
Personally, I would like to see Nimmer's documentary. I'm pretty sure it's quite positive.

I definitely recommend it, you can buy it on Larry Nimmer's site. Its really postive and shows just how flawed the Arvizo case was and disects everything. Its brilliant. Although there is a bit in it which made me bawl where they show a message that Paris wrote on the blackboard in the kitchen of Neverland telling her daddy to feel better and how much she loves him.

you are right. It says "unauthorized" documentaries do not get the music.

They are most probably allowing his music to be used by good, positive and credible sources.

and it's not about money. if they wanted to make money they would let anyone to use any song and cash on it.

They are protesting/sabotaging the unauthorized documents by not letting them to use the music.

Ah ok, smart move.

I wish they'd just do another TII DVD. I want to see every single moment they have of MJ on film, singing or not singing, dancing or not dancing. My favorite parts of TII have been Michael just being Michael, walking, talking, laughing.
I don't care if there was only 15 minutes of that kind of footage remaining. I'd prefer it to hours of the other documentaries being described, with or without music.

I am with you on this. I have no interest in these other types of documentaries. I just want to see Michael like in TII and have less interest in what others have to say about him now that he is gone. However, these may be good for the new generation of fans who do not know much about Michael and his talent.

Showbiz411 is ROGER FRIEDMAN so no wonder he got something simple as the year of the trial wrong. This guy is an idiot and is as bad as all the doco filmakers he mentions in his article.

If he cant get the year of MJs trial right, WHAT ELSE DID HE GET WRONG?

I really don't care if Michael's song were on documentaries at all. Like "Devotion", they played their own songs which is good. A few use MJ tribute songs.

the unfortunate way of the media toward MJ makes it seem necessary. the idea of a whole slew of networks buying the Halperin crap, despite the fact that MJ died, whereas much less amounts of networks buy positive stuff, brings that reality painfully home.

Since they reiterated "unauthorised" they are probably making a "Authorised" version........

More milking for the Estate!!!!!

Back