MJ collector sells his whole vast collection

Mr. Norway

Proud Member
Hello!
Today, in a Norwegian newspaper article, a Norwegian fan announces that he is selling his entire MJ collection. If you want to look
at the article with a couple of pictures, you can press the link. But since it´s in Norwegian I have spent some time translating it for you, so I hope you appreciate it :) Enjoy.

http://www.vg.no/musikk/michael-jackson/artikkel.php?artid=10069913

NORWEGIAN JACKSON FAN SELLS HIS ENTIRE COLLECTION

Richard Fossaas (29) has traveled around the world to gather over 3000 Michael Jackson effects. Now he wants to sell the whole
collection.

If you are eager to purchase the collection you must be prepared to take a deep dig into your pockets. Fossaas will only sell the collection as a package for 2 million NOK, and it will include music, stage outfits and other sorts of memorabilia.

- I want to sell all or nothing. If I only sell parts of the collection I will regret it. I´m very much attached to the collection, so if I am going to sell it everything has to go. The collection has become some kind of a lifestyle, says Fossaas to VG Net.

The collection includes the King of Pop´s iconic silver glow covered with Swarowski crystals, which was used by Jackson in a famous Pepsi commercial in 1984. Fossaas has also collected a complete Billie Jean outfit. The 29-year-old has decided to sell his collection because he feels he doesn´t do the collection justice in his ownership.

- Most of the things are just locked in safety deposit boxes because I don´t have room for it in my appartement. Therefore, I hope a potential buyer would put it somewhere visible so that it can be fully enjoyed, says Fossaas.

Fossaas has been collecting Michael Jackson memorabilia since 1989 and combined many vacations with new Jackson purchases. In 2009 he went to Los Angeles to buy the Billie Jean glow from an auction, but the auction was later cancelled.

The Jackson fan has bought most of the items from private collectors. He put the collection out for sale in January but has yet to receive any bids on the entire collection. He has, however, received several bids on single items.

- I have been offered many hundred thousand NOK for the Billie Jean outfit but I´m not interested in selling parts of the collection, says Fossaas, who has only had bids from the US.

As a part of the collection are a lot of CDs and LPs that he does not listen to. He has been a Jackson fan for as long as he can remember.

- My father adviced me not to sell the music, but I do not listen to it anymore. These days I have stored all the music on my computer, says Fossaas.

Since the King of Pop passed away several of his belongings have been sold all over the world. Amongst the items is Jackson´s red Thriller jacket, which was sold for 10 million NOK. The late popstar´s death bed is also supposed to be sold at an auction alongside hundreds of other items from the house in which he stayed in June 2009.

Using Michael's death to earn alot of money?
If I would have had a piece of clothing Michael wore, I would have kept it far away from the public in my own house where I can look everyday at it.

But I just don't get it...
If you have so much money to buy it from private collectors... Then why would you even sell it... Cause he probably has a lot of money, otherwise you can't buy that stuff.

Btw, thanks for the translation!

Listen: There is no reason to judge collectors or sellers of memorablia. There is nothign wrong with selling ones collection.
it doesnt make anyone better becuase they would choose differently . some people dont need to hold on to material things
in order to love or be a fan of Michael. Someone else will be able to enjoy it :) its not being destroyed only passed on.

All my collection is wrapped and stored in a closet :( I have no space and Im a smoker. It serves no good purpose there.
Sometimes I think it would be better if I sold to to someone who could display it and appreciate it as much as I do. And if
one day I choose to do that. I would hope I wouldnt be judged or belittle by the very fans of the man I cherish and love.

Listen: There is no reason to judge collectors or sellers of memorablia. There is nothign wrong with selling ones collection.
it doesnt make anyone better becuase they would choose differently . some people dont need to hold on to material things
in order to love or be a fan of Michael. Someone else will be able to enjoy it :) its not being destroyed only passed on.

All my collection is wrapped and stored in a closet :( I have no space and Im a smoker. It serves no good purpose there.
Sometimes I think it would be better if I sold to to someone who could display it and appreciate it as much as I do. And if
one day I choose to do that. I would hope I wouldnt be judged or belittle by the very fans of the man I cherish and love.

I don't judge, I asked about it.
Asking for other opinions, didn't meant to 'judge' him.
but on the other hand, It hits me when people sell their stuff after his death.
I know someone who got a invincible cd which Michael drew his signature on and she keeps it close to her heart.
It's just that we are so used to the news of people jumping on the bandwagen, that I don't know wether this guy sells his stuff with pain and his heart or does it for the cash.
Still think this is a big step to do and if I were him, I wouldn't sell it even if I would get 10 million for it.

It really breaks my heart every time I see a fan selling their stuff. It's almost as if I can feel their pain of losing it after collecting for so long, but I admire their courage in being able to sell it as they don't have the space for it. It just seems like the hardest thing to be able to do.

I think some people realize that after collecting for so long, each piece becomes less special. At a certain point, there's just too much. That goes for any type of collection. I own quite a bit of Michael memorabilia, but the things that mean the most to me would be the actual music and short films. I can replace a CD or DVD any day, but I can't replace what the memories, the actual art, and Michael himself, mean to me.

It also helps to have one single piece that means the most to you. Mine would be my original copy of Dangerous on cassette from when I was a kid. The sentimental value on that is through the roof. It's the one thing that I know I will always hold near to me.

Last edited:
I have a huge MJ collection been collecting MJ items on and off for the past 22 years. Though it is no where near as big as that fan's collection. And there is only 1 MJ item that I had. That I totally regret telling my mother to get rid of. Was my pair of MJ LA Gear high top sneakers that I had back in 1990. But other than that I could never want to sell my MJ collection. Not now and most certainly not ever. My MJ collection is just way too much a part of me to want to sell it. And if I ever get over this depression over him. I am going to go back to start collecting MJ items again. And my bedroom which is a shrine to Michael. Is going to be more of a shrine to him whenever I get my bedroom walls painted.

I can understand that he might not want to be bothered selling things one piece at a time, as this would take a lot of time and effort, but on the other hand, by only offering the collection as one entity, he is denying other fans to do what he did, which is build up a collection piece by piece, and having fun buying one thing at a time. I'm not so sure you would appreciate buying a whole collection all at once, in quite the same way.

But thank you for posting and translating.

I could never do that with mine, maybe if there was a life and death situation and needed the money.

All my stuff is also stashed in closets, except posters. I don't like taking them out because packing them back in is such a hassle. I'd love to have a room just for my collection someday.

I also keep my collection in a closet. But I just can't sell something or make a gift for someone /even I tried so many times/. I'm collecting Michael's things almost all my life. For each item I have emotional memories. I really don't need them, but to lose them for me means to lose part of Michael again. I can't do that.

I have to admit that I also have nearly half of my MJ items is kept in to 2 closets. Like all of my video and some of my audio related MJ items. 3 of my MJ posters. 2 of them I still keep in the tubes that came in. Out of fear they could be damage. Since they are suppose to be quite rare according to Ebay. My Billie Jean poster I used to have up had been pretty damage. So I just put that in the closet. So it can't get anymore damage than it already is. My MJ Beat It outfit for my MJ Doll is kept in my MJ shrine closet on top of my MJ record player. And I also of course have most of my MJ t-shirts in my MJ shrine closet.

The bigger my MJ collection gets, the less I see of it because its all put away safely so it doesn't get damaged, I can see why he wants to sell it and the fact that he's collected so much shows to me he probably isn't just in it for the money, however he may have money problems, I have been forced to sell a few of my MJ items because of the money I needed, doesn't make him less of a fan in my eyes.
I hope it goes to someone who cherishes it :)

As the years goes by, I have found that some of the things collected are collected by habbit and not treassured the same way as the first items I had. Today I enjoy the most when I find an Item that I wanted badly as a kid but couldn't afford or couldn't find available, and then are able to purchase it today. It couldbe a magzine, a book or just a poster. by looking at it i remember all the feelings it brought me and how I wanted it so badly.

It also helps to have one single piece that means the most to you. Mine would be my original copy of Dangerous on cassette from when I was a kid. The sentimental value on that is through the roof. It's the one thing that I know I will always hold near to me.

My most valued item is the picture from Bravo I had hanging by my bed, that I used to talk to when I was sad as a kid. its value is in the comfort it gave me, the memories of a long lost childhood, and my hopes for better times and not much in the fact that its a picture of Michael.

myosotis said:
I can understand that he might not want to be bothered selling things one piece at a time, as this would take a lot of time and effort, but on the other hand, by only offering the collection as one entity, he is denying other fans to do what he did, which is build up a collection piece by piece, and having fun buying one thing at a time. I'm not so sure you would appreciate buying a whole collection all at once, in quite the same way

I agree that it's a shame. When you by in bulk you don't get a memory and a wanting attached to each item. its the sentimental value and the feelings that make a collection not the size or the items themselves.

^^ I am glad he did the translation himself, I am sure he did a better job than the mashine would have.

The most precious memories are those you have in your head. Everything material is so much less important. I would give it away to a museum.

As the years goes by, I have found that some of the things collected are collected by habbit and not treassured the same way as the first items I had. Today I enjoy the most when I find an Item that I wanted badly as a kid but couldn't afford or couldn't find available, and then are able to purchase it today. It couldbe a magzine, a book or just a poster. by looking at it i remember all the feelings it brought me and how I wanted it so badly.

My most valued item is the picture from Bravo I had hanging by my bed, that I used to talk to when I was sad as a kid. its value is in the comfort it gave me, the memories of a long lost childhood, and my hopes for better times and not much in the fact that its a picture of Michael.

I agree that it's a shame. When you by in bulk you don't get a memory and a wanting attached to each item. its the sentimental value and the feelings that make a collection not the size or the items themselves.

I agree completely. I think it would be a pity not to have memories and feelings about every single item...otherwise why keep it? I think a collection is a really 'personal' thing, and buying someone else's collection would be bit like buying someone else's wardrobe of clothes.

I Wanna Be Where You Are;3609179 said:

I wanna be where you are: I can tell you this: I will never use google translate to translate anything. Maybe the translation isn´t perfect but it´s definately more than good enough, and I´m sure you understand perfectly well what it says. I translated it pretty fast, so I´m sure there are things that could be better, but that´s how it is. As you probably understand, I´m not a fan of any translation tools, and I prefer doing it myself :)

Back