MJ and the war in Iraq

wire

Proud Member
Hello All,

Ive been wondering for a while if MJ has ever spoken about the war in Iraq and what was his opinion about it?

Thanks

The Iraq invasion started on March 20, 2003. I don't know if Michael said anything of it specifically, other than his general anti-war stance. He recorded All In Your Name, an anti-war song, in December 2002 with Barry Gibb. Maybe that was already as in protest of the threatening war.

What I always wondered about is the timing of the Arvizo allegations and how they coincided with the Iraq invasion. Whether that was a way to distract public attention from the war.

Yeah, and then there was the song 'we've had enough, that alway reminds me of war and terrorism. That's one powerful song, it blows heal the world and earth song out the water in terms of power and emotion.!!

Hello All,

Ive been wondering for a while if MJ has ever spoken about the war in Iraq and what was his opinion about it?

Thanks

I think Respect already mentioned "All In Your Name" and "We've Had Enough" - the "Ultimate Collection" was released in 2004, if I am not mistaken - so Michael released an antiwar song. It sort of went under the radar, but nonetheless.

Also- don't forget his Bambi award speech in 2002 - in Berlin, Germany, of all places.
Bush's recycling of the 'coalition of the willing' term also took place in 2002.
Michael took a GIANT stand in that speech - in front of of many political figure heads who supported Bush then.
He said "We don't need to have war."
^^^He said that in front of supporters of the upcoming invasion. I give Michael A TON of credit for having been one of the vocal Americans of his time to oppose war.

Also - don't underestimate his ties to Clinton. Clinton supposedly had warned the Bush 'cabinet' about a terrorism related security threat etc etc - so I am sure that an upcoming invasion of Iraq against international law in the 9/11 wake ("weapons of mass destruction", anyone??) was discussed as well.

Michael did take a stand in his own way - and major respect to him for doing so. I remember it so vividly because I lived in Berlin and the US at the time and did take part in the peace demonstrations in Berlin at the time - and I clearly remember Michael's words at the time. People across the world DID take notice of those Americans speaking up. He also received major backlash in the war- supporting mainstream publications of the time as well.

Last edited:
I think "We´ve had enough" was about the Gulf War, but it´s still an anti-war song.
It´s possible that Michael wrote something in notebooks against wars, lyrics to use later for songs.

What I always wondered about is the timing of the Arvizo allegations and how they coincided with the Iraq invasion. Whether that was a way to distract public attention from the war.

You mean as part of sneddon's agenda? I imagine he was just thrilled after so long to have an actual 'victim' who wd agree to talk trash about mj on a witness stand, one who could prove he had actually met mj which always helps in these type of cases (!). I'm sure distracting people's attention away from the iraq war didn't even feature in his calculations.

Yeah, and then there was the song 'we've had enough, that alway reminds me of war and terrorism. That's one powerful song, it blows heal the world and earth song out the water in terms of power and emotion.!!

We've had enough is incredible. Wasn't it a Invincible outtake? What a shame. The lyrics are really on point, he's really wondering what the point of war is in that song.

MIST, where is that MJ quote from?

Back