MJ and Gospel Music...

LindaC781

Proud Member
What do you think? Think this could be a new area for MJ? I think he could put together some AWESOME funkified gospel music. Who knows? This could be an area where he gets a NEW award - THE DOVE??

The Man In the Mirror...

Here is a Grammy performance - complete with Gospel Choir!!

Last edited:
The elements of gospel music that Michael added to the extended life performances of Man In The Mirror have been amazing.

Mike sure does switch it on when needed.

some early Jackson pop-gospel:

J5-third-album.jpg

Reach In

Oh How Happy

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Look at this!! Earth Song - if that aint a gospel tune, I don't know what is!! Live from Aukland NZ!!
his live versions in Monaco '96 (WMAs) and Royal Brunei have very raw Gospel-like live ad-libs in the end, like he did with Man In The Mirror performances.

Fabulous...Mr.Jackson is a preacher that creates the teacher...!

Michael would tear up some gosepl tunes, lol. People don't understand that Michael can do all that, he can do the early Mariah Carey, coloratura type of vocal runs with zero problem. He just doesn't because that's not his style and he likes to sing in a simple, straight forward fashion, which I love personally. But if he wanted to do that kind of music, he could, easy. Just watch what he does vocally at the end of "I'll Be There" before going in to "Rock With You".

Of course he could do it if he wanted. He has done many songs in his lifetime that are gospel/faith/spiritual oriented. He's always been a man of firm beliefs and deep faith, am I right? But I don't think he would put out an album that were strictly gospel, because he is a man of musical variety. I think what he does is great, because he doesn't separate his spiritual music from his secular music. He's not like, "ok here's an album of my secular music, and over there is an album of my spiritual music." No, he incorporates BOTH into one composite album, because it represents all of who he is, together. This is really hard to put into words, so I hope I made sense.

Great point Linda. He's a spiritual person and his singing is soulful. And he's proud of his cultural heritage. I feel gospel influence and element is actually everywhere when you listen to his music, which is essentially black music (I mean, African-American music, to be more exact) cuz that's the root. The songs posted are more direct examples that we can appreciate gospel in his identity.

Mj sings a lot of spiritually inspiring songs. To me, that is enough. i would be very disappointed to see Mj singing gospel, because I believe that he would disconnect with a large number of his fanbase, which is global, and not all christians. i don't think we would appreciate Mj singing songs of other religions, so why gospel/ i actually believe that Mj has deliberately stay clear of gospel songs.

Mj sings a lot of spiritually inspiring songs. To me, that is enough. i would be very disappointed to see Mj singing gospel, because I believe that he would disconnect with a large number of his fanbase, which is global, and not all christians. i don't think we would appreciate Mj singing songs of other religions, so why gospel/ i actually believe that Mj has deliberately stay clear of gospel songs.

MJ has spoken of God and religion in his songs before. I don't think his fans would have a problem if he got religious. I don't get the point about him singing songs of other religions: he's NOT another religion, so why would he sing the songs of a different religion?

Also, one could do gospel without it necessarily being preachy.

MJ has spoken of God and religion in his songs before. I don't think his fans would have a problem if he got religious. I don't get the point about him singing songs of other religions: he's NOT another religion, so why would he sing the songs of a different religion?

Also, one could do gospel without it necessarily being preachy.
yes, Mj has spoken of god and religion, but he hasn't discriminate between one religion or another so far, he has left his songs neutral so that anybody of any faith could identify with them, eg, keep the faith, man in the mirrir, Will you be there, on the line. All very beautiful songs that touches the heart of every man, without prejudice.

I think it would be best for him to stick to stuff like Man in the Mirror and just incorporate the gospel sound. As far as him doing complete gospel tunes, I don't think it would sound too good. His style isn't true gospel if you get what i mean. His stuff is more R&B than anything in my eyes.

Michael could and often does adjust his style to fit any certain genre. I think he could very easily sing straight up gospel if he wanted to.

I can't speak for others, but I know I wouldn't be offended in any way if Mike does a gospel song. He can do gospel out of his praise for God or tribute to his musical root or both. He does have a fan base internationally, but the fact should not get in the way.

I used to go to church kindergarten in my neighborhood and later go to Catholic church for several years and that's all I can say about my Christian experience. I don't go to church no more, but I love listening to some gospel like, The Clark Sisters (esp.Karen Clark-Sheard). As long as they don't sing about bashing other religious beliefs and values, I'm cool with it. I can never imagine Mike shoutin and preachin like, Christianity is the only way and all the others are evil. (Sounds exactly like how Bush's mind works, right?) Gospel can appeal to many people, even when the lyrics is strictly about church. Well, that's how I feel personally. It's soulful, soulful music to me.

Last edited:
Back