MJ about creativity

Some Monday motivation from Michael: “In the end, the most important thing is to be true to yourself and those you love and work hard. I mean, work like there’s no tomorrow. Train. Strive. I mean, really train and cultivate your talent to the highest degree. Be the best at what you do. Get to know more about your field than anybody alive. Use the tools of your trade, if it’s books or a floor to dance on or a body of water to swim in. Whatever it is, it’s yours. That’s what I’ve always tried to remember.”

“I want to go beyond the latest thing. And then we go ahead make the best record we can. We don’t ever pander to the fans. We just try to play on the quality of the song.” – Michael on the creation process that went into the production of the Bad album.

I love that quote and the pic of MJ, I'd never seen either before

Michael Jackson Talked About His Songwriting Inspiration
June 20, 2024
Michael on songwriting inspiration: “It always surprises me when people assume that something an artist has created is based on a true experience or reflects his or her own lifestyle. Often nothing could be farther from the truth. I know I draw on my experiences at times, but I also hear and read things that trigger an idea for a song. An artist’s imagination is his greatest tool.”

The science behind why the solitude at the top of the Giving Tree contributed to Michael's creativity:
A study published in the December 2020 issue of Nature Communications found while people thrive on being social, they also have neural circuits that increase their imagination when they’re lonely to fill that social void. Essentially, the study is saying when you get super lonely, that’s when you become incredibly creative. In fact, the default network in your brain—the part involved in memory and social cognition—actually goes through changes when it’s lonely, and the area linked with imagination strengthens.
“By nature, we human beings crave a sense of belonging,” says Nancy Irwin, an L.A.-based clinical psychologist who works with creative artists. “When forced to be alone, a creative person can forge a connection with others through their feelings in paint, sculpture, written word, song, dance, etc."
It doesn’t happen automatically. But think about when you’re surrounded by others: You’re constantly looking for approval, trying to fit in, and are avoiding criticism for your thoughts or actions. That’s part of being in society. When you’re alone, you’re more easily able to tap into your intuition, unique perspective, or vision, says Shrein Bahrami, a therapist and author of The Loneliness Companion. "We are less concerned about others’ viewpoints or potential criticisms that often prohibit or creative license,” she says. “This allows for more freedom and out-of-the-box thinking that creativity thrives on.”

Really interesting, but also sad ...
:(

No judgement but I'm somewhat disheartened that you find this sad. I mean, it's not a new idea, not really. Writers and artists in particular spend a huge part of their creative life alone and probably couldn't create anything if they didn't have that much solitude. Songwriting is a bit different, obviously, bc that is often done in tandem with other people. But novelists, journalists, poets and fine artists - almost their entire creative life is a solitary one.

I might be misunderstanding something (it wouldn't be the first time) and I'm def not criticising.

I think of the hours Michael spent practising his dance moves. Yes, he practised with his dancers and choreographers but we know he also did loads of solitary practice in the studio and I think that would be as useful and essential to him as the time he spent in his Giving Tree.

The science behind why the solitude at the top of the Giving Tree contributed to Michael's creativity:

This has been in the media in the UK this year. Not the link between solitude and creativity as such but just the idea that solitude isn't necessarily something to be feared. I saw at least two articles about it, one is behind a paywall but there was also this:

"Now a new book is asking us to reconsider solitude. In Solitude: The Science and Power of Being Alone, authors Netta Weinstein, Heather Hansen and Thuy-vy T Nguyen argue that time spent by ourselves is not necessarily a threat to our wellbeing, nor an inherent good.

According to the authors, “alone time” and the extent to which it’s beneficial or detrimental is highly personal and not well understood by researchers.

“It’s something that society tends to frown upon. We tend to conflate the word ‘solitude’ with loneliness,” says Nguyen, an associate professor of psychology at Durham University and principal investigator of its Solitude Lab.

But they are different. Loneliness pertains to the distress felt at one’s social needs not being met and solitude is a state of simply being by oneself.

“You can be with other people and feel lonely,” says Nguyen. “Loneliness is more about the quality of our relationships: how connected you feel to people around you.”

For centuries the two have been used interchangeably, complicating analyses today. But while loneliness has been studied for decades, “the literature on solitude is just starting to catch up,” Nguyen says.

People speak of it as an experience best avoided, either unbearable or unsavoury, or else as the escape of the privileged – think of tech billionaires going off-grid to “detox” solo.

But these are extreme, even pejorative representations: “There’s been no coverage of solitude as a very ordinary thing that we all experience,” says Nguyen.

As a state, it’s neither negative nor positive. “But some people struggle with that time, even if it’s just 15 minutes,” she adds.

Your own baseline may depend on what you’re accustomed to. You might be less comfortable with your own company if you never get any chance to practise."

:(

No judgement but I'm somewhat disheartened that you find this sad. I mean, it's not a new idea, not really. Writers and artists in particular spend a huge part of their creative life alone and probably couldn't create anything if they didn't have that much solitude. Songwriting is a bit different, obviously, bc that is often done in tandem with other people. But novelists, journalists, poets and fine artists - almost their entire creative life is a solitary one.

I might be misunderstanding something (it wouldn't be the first time) and I'm def not criticising.

I think of the hours Michael spent practising his dance moves. Yes, he practised with his dancers and choreographers but we know he also did loads of solitary practice in the studio and I think that would be as useful and essential to him as the time he spent in his Giving Tree.

Maybe just a misunderstanding? :)

... solitude is not loneliness to me. Quite the contrary.
The article says: "Essentially, the study is saying when you get super lonely, that’s when you become incredibly creative."

That indicates you need to suffer to be creative. For me, loneliness is a terrible and desperate state. Solitude is something I actually enjoy. It is a state where you are alone but feel whole and at peace. Loneliness makes me think of being separated and suffering from this.

Maybe just a misunderstanding? :)
Lack of brain power on my part, lol. Just tried to read the actual research paper this article (the one posted by @Hot_Street) is based on. My head is hurting! I need simpler stuff like the one I posted.

That line you quoted from the article:

"Essentially, the study is saying when you get super lonely, that’s when you become incredibly creative."

I can't work out if this is a fair assessment (of the findings of the research paper) or a just an oversimplification. I did try to find something in the research paper related to that statement, couldn't see anything although, tbf, I didn't read it closely bc it was way too technical for me.

... solitude is not loneliness to me. Quite the contrary.
This is discussed in the Guardian article I posted. I found that much easier to understand. I especially liked this line:

For centuries the two have been used interchangeably, complicating analyses today. But while loneliness has been studied for decades, “the literature on solitude is just starting to catch up,” Nguyen says.

[...] That indicates you need to suffer to be creative.
Tried to find out if the research paper talks about this, failed miserably but, again, perhaps it was there and I just didn't see it. There was way too much technical jargon to plod through and I eventually gave up.

For me, loneliness is a terrible and desperate state. Solitude is something I actually enjoy. It is a state where you are alone but feel whole and at peace. Loneliness makes me think of being separated and suffering from this.
It's actually really interesting to think about this stuff, especially in relation to Michael. SIM is a masterpiece, imo, and he wrote that while feeling isolated and lonely.

Not really making a point, just thinking out loud ... :unsure:

Lack of brain power on my part, lol. Just tried to read the actual research paper this article (the one posted by @Hot_Street) is based on. My head is hurting! I need simpler stuff like the one I posted.

That line you quoted from the article:

"Essentially, the study is saying when you get super lonely, that’s when you become incredibly creative."

I can't work out if this is a fair assessment (of the findings of the research paper) or a just an oversimplification. I did try to find something in the research paper related to that statement, couldn't see anything although, tbf, I didn't read it closely bc it was way too technical for me.

This is discussed in the Guardian article I posted. I found that much easier to understand. I especially liked this line:

Tried to find out if the research paper talks about this, failed miserably but, again, perhaps it was there and I just didn't see it. There was way too much technical jargon to plod through and I eventually gave up.

It's actually really interesting to think about this stuff, especially in relation to Michael. SIM is a masterpiece, imo, and he wrote that while feeling isolated and lonely.

Not really making a point, just thinking out loud ... :unsure:

Oh, you certainly have lots of brainpower :) And you did give very detailed answers as well.

But I, on my part, was not reading your full post and missed the Guardian article (since I thought that part of your post was addressed at @Hot_Street 😅)

However, the topic of lonliness vs solitude is intriguing and worthwile a discussion. I wonder if the two "states of being/mind" are perceived differently in every culture.

Oh, you certainly have lots of brainpower :) And you did give very detailed answers as well.

But I, on my part, was not reading your full post and missed the Guardian article (since I thought that part of your post was addressed at @Hot_Street 😅)

However, the topic of lonliness vs solitude is intriguing and worthwile a discussion. I wonder if the two "states of being/mind" are perceived differently in every culture.
oh, that's interesting. I hadn't even considered that. I got as far as thinking about Michael's situation, growing up in a big, noisy family. A busy, noisy church. A really energetic, noisy world of music and shows and screaming fans. But also the Giving Tree and all that quiet open space at Neverland. We know he was lonely. I wonder if he enjoyed solitude?

Back