Miracles...

Alma

Proud Member
Just felt like starting a thread where accounts or proofs of wonders on this planet have been registered.. or simply witnessed by you in person, big or small..

I'll start:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/22...pecies-of-Wood

Analysis of Sample From 'Miraculous' Stairs in Santa Fe Found Unknown Species of Wood

Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:27 CST

You perhaps have heard of it, the staircase at Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where -- according to the literature -- nuns who operated a convent there began a novena to Saint Joseph, patron of carpenters and builders, when they needed a way to easily traverse up to the choir loft, which previously had been accessed by ladder. Their dilemma was that there was no room for a stairway as normal stairways go. A flurry of carpenters they consulted had said so.

According to accounts, on the last day of the novena, a gray-haired man came to the convent with a donkey and a tool chest -- basically, a saw, a hammer, and a square. He also needed tubs to soak wood. They gave him the job, and he set about the work on July 25, 1873, taking what is now estimated as six to eight months to complete it. Only wood pegs (no nails) were used. And the result was exquisite.

"The winding stairway that the old man left for the sisters is a masterpiece of beauty and wonder," noted St. Joseph Magazine. "It makes two complete 360-degree turns. There is no supporting pole up the center as most circular stairways have. This means it hangs there with no support. The entire weight is on the base. Some architects have said that by all laws of gravity, it should have crashed to the floor the minute anyone stepped on it and yet was used daily for nearly a hundred years." Indeed, there are photos of the staircase filled with members of the choir!

When the sisters went to pay the man, continues the account, he had vanished. There is no record of paying anyone a penny for the incredible piece of carpentry.

We have had an article on this previously. "I spoke with Urban C. Weidner, a Santa Fe architect and wood expert, about the staircase," noted Sister M. Florian. "He told me that he had never seen a circular wooden stairway with 360-degree turns that did not have a supporting pole down the center. One of the most baffling things about the stairway, however, is the perfection of the curves of the stringers, according to Mr. Weidner. He told me that the wood is spliced along the sides of the stringers with nine splices on the outside and seven on the inside. Each piece is perfectly curved. How this came about in the 1870s by a single man in an out-of-the-way place with only the most primitive tools has never been explained."

Indeed, it is a gorgeous piece of woodwork -- now with banisters (it was originally constructed without any).

An angel? St. Joseph himself?

"Sisters, going in to the Chapel to pray, saw the tubs with wood soaking in them, but the man always withdrew while they said their prayers, returning to his work when the Chapel was free," says another account. " Some there are who say the circular stair which stands there today was built very quickly. Others say no, it took quite a little time. But the stair did grow, rising solidly in a double helix without support of any kind and without nail or screw. The floor space used was minimal and the stair adds to, rather than detracts from, the beauty of the chapel."

Some claim (for example in Wikipedia) the riddle of the carpenter's identity was finally solved in the late 1990s by Mary Jean Straw Cook, author of Loretto: The Sisters and Their Santa Fe Chapel (2002: Museum of New Mexico Press). She claimed his name was Francois-Jean "Frenchy" Rochas, an expert woodworker who emigrated from France and arrived in Santa Fe around the time the staircase was built. In addition to evidence that linked Rochas to another French contractor who worked on the chapel, Cook found an 1895 death notice in The New Mexican explicitly naming Rochas as the builder of "the handsome staircase in the Loretto chapel." However, the skeptical viewpoint comes in large part from a magazine operated by humanists and atheists (and in fact called The Skeptical Inquirer).

We would like to emphasize another twist to this mystery. It comes to us from Richard Lindsley, who managed the Loretto Chapel (which is now in private hands) from 1991 to 2006 and says at one point he took a sample of wood from the staircase and gave it to a scientist named Forrest N. Easley, who worked at the Naval Air Weapons Station at China Lake, California.

"I went to the top of the stairs," Lindsley told Spirit Daily. "There's a crack that's held together with a metal plate. The staircase had sunk an inch or inch-and-a-half into the floor. That's where I pried a loose piece and gave it to him. I expected to hear the results quickly."

Instead, says Lindsley, two months passed and he all but gave up about hearing anything. But one day, he recalls, Easley showed up at the chapel because he wanted to report his results in person. What he told Lindsley was straight to the point: the wood sample was spruce of no known subspecies. It matched nothing in the scientific record. Easley had wanted to thoroughly search through all known data. That's what had caused the delay. He researched it further and after 18 months came out with a careful, measured statement saying that the wood from the staircase had molecules that were "very dense and square" and indicated that it had come from trees that grew slowly in a "very, very cold place," like Alaska (not New Mexico).

That was interesting because at the time the chapel was constructed -- by the mysterious stranger -- there was no rail system that could have brought in the wood from such a distance, and no local trees that grew above an elevation of 10,000 feet -- which is the only place of comparable cold.

The closest match remained spruce from Alaska.

In short, it was no known type.

"He claimed to have discovered a new subspecies," says Lindsley.

"He called it Pinacae Ticea 'Josefii' Easley," or 'Loretto spruce."

Let's call it a mystery.

Or a miracle.

http://www.physorg.com/news6858.html

Life After Chernobyl: A Surprising Ecosystem Flourishes In No-Man's Land
September 29, 2005

When the Chernobyl nuclear reactor melted down in 1986, dozens of people died, more became ill with acute radiation sickness, and 135,000 people were evacuated. The blast spread more than 200 times the radioactivity than the atom bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined.

Ads by Google

Atmail Carrier Edition - Atmail is a Flexible, White-Label Unified Communications Platform. - www.Atmail.com/Atmail-Carrier

The prognosis for Chernobyl and its environs—succinctly dubbed the Zone of Alienation—was grim.

If fears of the Apocalypse and a lifeless, barren radioactive future have been constant companions of the nuclear age, almost twenty years later Chernobyl shows us a very different view of the future.

In Wormwood Forest: A Natural History of Chernobyl (October 2005, Joseph Henry Press), journalist Mary Mycio vividly describes an extraordinary—and at times unearthly—new ecosystem that is flourishing in this no-man's land, with radiation too intense for people to live there safely.

Ten years after the Chernobyl disaster, journalist Mary Mycio made her first trip to the Chernobyl region. Equipped with dosimeter [describe what this is used for] and protective gear, Mycio set out to explore the world's only radioactive wilderness environment and the defiant local residents who remained behind to survive and make their lives in the Zone."

She discovered a wilderness teeming with large animals, more than before the nuclear disaster and many of them members of rare and endangered species. Like the forests, fields, and swamps of this unexpectedly inviting habitat, both the people and animals are radioactive. Cesium-137 is packed in their muscles and strontium-90 in their bones. But, quite astonishingly, they are also thriving.

Chernobyl's flourishing new ecosystem is "one of the first examples of how, in the absence of human intervention, nature in the zone could recover its balance," writes Mycio—even in the face of radioactive "ghost towns and villages [that] stand in tragic testimony to the devastating effects of technology gone awry.

A vivid blend of reportage, popular science, and illuminating encounters that explode the myths of Chernobyl with facts that are at once beautiful and horrible, Wormwood Forest brings a remarkable land—and its people and animals—to life to tell a unique story of science, surprise, and suspense.

Mary Mycio is a pioneering American reporter who first visited the city of Kiev in 1989 to do a semi-clandestine interview about the nuclear disaster in Chernobyl. She later became the Kiev correspondent for the Los Angeles Times and a contributor to a variety of newspapers around the world. With her background in journalism, a B.A. in biology, and a law degree from New York University, she was uniquely positioned to write the story of Chernobyl. She has accumulated reams of material about the disaster's environmental and health effects and filled numerous notebooks with details of her many journeys into the Zone of Alienation. She currently lives in Kiev where she is also director of the IREX ProMedia Legal Defense and Education Program for Ukrainian journalists.

Copyright 2005 by Space Daily, Distributed United Press International

Miracle Animal Stories

There are many instances of animals (...) and some go back to the Old Testament.

God has used animals at times to get a message to us as in the case of the dove bringing back the olive branch to Noah in the ark. Furthermore God created animals with much more intelligence that we first thought.

At other times, animals have witnessed some supernatural events. During the Apparitions at Lasalette the sheep dog was right beside the children during the Apparitions.

We want to discuss some of the Miracle animal stories in the lives of the Saints.

Miracle Fish and Miracle Donkey

The first of these we want to discuss is the Miracle that occurred in the life of Saint Anthony of Padua.

Actually we want to discuss two miracles. The Miracle of the fish and the Miracle of the Donkey.

When the heretics poked fun at him while he spoke at the port of Rimini, he turned towards the sea, and spoke to the fish.

The fish, for their part, raised their bodies out of the water, and perched, as it were, on top of the water, listening to the homily given by St. Anthony. When he was finished, St. Anthony blessed the fish, at which point they returned to the sea.

Miracle Dogs of Don Bosco and Saint Roch

There are two Miracle animal stories we want to bring to you starring man's best friend, dogs.

The dog that came to Saint Roch.

Grigio - the Grey dog - of Saint John Bosco

Miracle mice of Saint Martin de Porres

Saint Martin de Porres had a special relationship with no only mice but other animals including birds from an early age.

You will want to read the account of the Miracle mice and Saint Martin de Porres.

Miracle bees of Saint Rita of Cascia

When Saint Rita of Cascia was born Miracle White bees appeared.

You will want to read the account of the Miracle bees of Saint Rita of Cascia

Miracle sheep of Saint Germaine de Pibrac

Saint Germaine was a young girl in Pibrac France surrounded by miracles of every kind.

You will want to read the account of the Miracle Sheep of Saint Germaine

Miracle blackbird of Saint Benedict

One of the most fascinating Miracle animal stories comes from the life of Saint Benedict.

For full details go to account of the blackbird and Saint Benedict.

For actual clickable links elaborating on the above wonders, visit http://www.discover-catholic-miracles.com/miracle-animal-stories.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...y-the-side-of-its-ailing-friend-in-the-rubble

It's a universal truth that dogs are man's best friend, but they're pretty darn loyal to their own as well. Case in point: this tear-inducing video, via the website Jezebel, showing a dog, shivering and disoriented, remaining loyally by the side of a stricken fellow canine amid the devastation of the Japanese tsunami.

You can watch the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J3TM9GL2iLI

The video is a stark reminder that, as was the case when Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast in 2005, there will likely be thousands of pets orphaned or involuntarily abandoned due to the catastrophe in Japan. If you'd like to help efforts to help these animals, you can find info on doing so here.

UPDATE: CNN and the UK Telegraph have both reported that the dogs have been rescued since the footage aired, and are both receiving veterinary care; the more seriously wounded dog is at a clinic in the city of Mito, while the protective spaniel-type dog is receiving care at a shelter in the same town.

Here is an English translation of the voiceover exchange between the two reporters in the clip (translation courtesy of Toshiyuki Kitamura):

"We are in Arahama area. Looks like there is a dog. There is a dog. He looks tired and dirty. He must have been caught in the tsunami. He looks very dirty."

"He has a collar. He must be someone's pet. He has a silver collar. He is shaking. He seems very afraid."

"Oh, there is another dog. I wonder if he is dead."

"Where?"

"Right there. There is another dog right next to the one sitting down. He is not moving. I wonder. I wonder if he is alright."

"The dog is protecting him."

"Yes. He is protecting the dog. That is why he did not want us to approach them. He was trying to keep us at bay."

"I can't watch this. This is a very difficult to watch."

"Oh. Look. He is moving. He is alive. I am so happy to see that he is alive."

"Yes! Yes! He is alive."

"He looks to be weakened. We need to them to be rescued soon. We really want them rescued soon."

"Oh, good. He's getting up. "

"It is amazing how they survived the tremendous earthquake and tsunami. It's just amazing that they survived through this all."

Seven Organ Transplants Save Baby Girl Given 24 Hours to Live

by Atula in Health

May

http://www.growingyourbaby.com/2011...plants-save-baby-girl-given-24-hours-to-live/

Delilah Nevaeh Valdez looks like any other 19 month old today with chubby cheeks, sleeping peacefully with a pink pacifier in her mouth but only a few months back doctors had given her just 24 hours to live. It took 7 organ transplants and dedicated efforts of medical team to save the baby.

Julissa Cerda, 24 had given birth to Delilah 6 weeks early in September 2009. Doctors told the new mother and father Agapito Valdez that their baby was dying.

“When she was born they gave her 24 hours to live,” said Jullissa.”They basically told us she was going to die because she couldn’t eat.

Delilah had a rare congenital and often fatal condition called Megacystis Microcolon Intestinal Hypoperistalsis Syndrome. It prevented her stomach, intestines, kidneys and bladder from working properly.

According to Dr. Andreas Tzakis, director of UM/Jackson Memorial’s liver/GI transplant program, “Delilah had a condition in which her smooth muscles don’t contract normally. When she ate, the food would not go south …”

Three months ago doctors decided to transplant seven of the baby’s organs to help her eat. These were the liver, stomach, pancreas, small intestine, large intestine, kidney and spleen.

As a 16 month old in January this year Delilah underwent the crucial surgery at Jackson’s memorial. The transplant was the 299th at the hospital, but even the doctors knew that it was the post surgery recovery that was important.

Says Dr. Andreas, “The amazing thing is not just what happens with the surgery, but that the recovery these patients make can be complete. God willing, if patients survive one year, they usually do fine for a very long time. Four or five years can mean a lifetime.”

The transplant was successful and what was an even better news was that the little girl learnt fast to eat food.

“Most babies that need this transplant eat by being fed with an intravenous line through their vein,” Garcia, a pediatric gastroenterologist at the hospital said.”Because of that, they don’t learn how to eat normally and have food aversion.”

But in Delilah’s case, things were different.

“She likes Chef Boyardee ravioli,” Garcia said. “She’s the perfect patient, any GI doctor’s dream.”

Adds her father, “Chef Boyardee, apple sauce, banana pudding, pizza - and she loves drinking water. I look at life a lot differently now.”

Now 19 months old and more than 26 ½ pounds Delilah will be leaving Jackson Memorial with her parents by the end of this week. Her parents have also not forgotten the special gift of life they received from the unknown 3 month old whose organs were donated to their daughter.

“They flew the organs over and it happened so fast,” Cerda said. “But in order for us to gain the gift of life for our daughter, someone else had to lose theirs. I keep that baby and the family in my prayers all the time. I feel like I won the lottery, but I can only imagine their pain.”

Last edited:
We take it for granted but isn´t all living creatures miracles?
When you take a closer look to how things in our bodies work without us thinking about it, all the organs who work together.
Some humans and animals have their diseases but otherwise how can something be so perfect?(Humans minds are another thing)

Miracles are amazing, but I really don't think they're related to only the Christian God. I think they can be attributed to whatever you want to believe in.

^ You're talking like that ''I'll believe in that piece of tree or that big rock and my wishes will fulfill and miracles will happen''.
I don't think so. Cause God is the only one to believe in my opinion.

^ Um, you're talking as if nobody else's beliefs matter. What if I believed in Zeus? What if I was Jewish, or Muslim? Christian God isn't the only "force" out there. If I want to believe miracles happen because of that rock over there, then I am entitled to that just as much as you are to your God. *shrugs*

I would appreciate it if this thread doesn't get sidetracked.... It is not a talk about religion and what God is available or not. Please?.. Thank you.

You're welcome, Pace, Ashtanga...

MIST;3411617 said:
We take it for granted but isn´t all living creatures miracles?
When you take a closer look to how things in our bodies work without us thinking about it, all the organs who work together.
Some humans and animals have their diseases but otherwise how can something be so perfect?(Humans minds are another thing)

Thank you for this post... I agree completely.. The human mind and its counterproductive thoughts is often the source for many of our illnesses, and while we must use it a whole lot, we must also learn to train it, because a broken heart as a result is so hard to heal, often harder than then trying to cure this or that organ in our bodies..

I would appreciate it if this thread doesn't get sidetracked.... It is not a talk about religion and what God is available or not. Please?.. Thank you.

You're welcome, Pace, Ashtanga...

Actually it is perfectly on topic, seeing as "miracles" are often connected to the Christian God in modern society and media.

This isn't a debate on religion or the world's origins, nor about the Christian God, though. These views on here also don't seem to be inspired by any modern society and media. There are people with a mind of their own as well. This is just a simple thread on miracles, that should be devoid of unnecessary arguments and I hope it'll stay that way, for miracles is what they are. .. I don't know how much clearer I could be sounding, I'm a bit tired, to be honest. Nobody meant to harm other people's views, that much I can tell. So, again, I'd appreciate if this thread gets back on track. ..

Last edited:
Have you read about Patrick the miracle dog?
Some pictures are terrible, it´s hard to understand how someone can survive that starving and the fall when the owner throw him away.
He was put in a bag and I read air in the bag made the fall slower.
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rYm7irMrlF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
We know already some people are evil, but this is about the miracle
1.Patrick managed to move a little and a worker saw it. It seems the workers wasn´t there everyday
2.Veterinarians gave him treatment.There are many homeless dogs and I guess many veterinarians would think the only thing to do is to end the dog´s suffering.
3: Patrick wanted to live and is a fighter

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qVSe4YLT-Ps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Now he is one of the most famous dogs in the world , lot´s of people want to help.

Thanks, MIST, for this addition. .. Impressive, wow.. Animals and birds themselves are miracles, in my view, can't imagine how life would've looked without these precious underestimated lives. ..

Actually it is perfectly on topic, seeing as "miracles" are often connected to the Christian God in modern society and media.

Actually, I am coming only partially from the Christian standpoint. "Miracles" have indeed been spoken to throughout the ages, all religions etc. Which is why I loved the topic. Sometimes it's a good reminder to look at life this way. I don't have to do that through a Christian viewpoint either, but I certainly could.

Just appreciating miracles, period. I often ask for them on the behalf of others. Earthquake? You bet I ask for the miracle of a child being rescued from the rumbles. Miracles are very real. Just be bold enough to ask for them. And giving thanks.

That seems to be the whole purpose of the thread. Acknowledging the miracles in gratitude.

Last edited:
MIST;3411854 said:
Have you read about Patrick the miracle dog?
Some pictures are terrible, it´s hard to understand how someone can survive that starving and the fall when the owner throw him away.
He was put in a bag and I read air in the bag made the fall slower.
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rYm7irMrlF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
We know already some people are evil, but this is about the miracle
1.Patrick managed to move a little and a worker saw it. It seems the workers wasn´t there everyday
2.Veterinarians gave him treatment.There are many homeless dogs and I guess many veterinarians would think the only thing to do is to end the dog´s suffering.
3: Patrick wanted to live and is a fighter

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qVSe4YLT-Ps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Now he is one of the most famous dogs in the world , lot´s of people want to help.

So sad. I cried. :cry: Patrick is a victorious dog. :angel: I hope he is happy. :heart:

This bit of news was shown back in March this year, it happened in a township in my country, so I had to translate the jaw-dropping part of the news which can only qualify as a natural wonder. .. This is just one of the actual rather large number of such wonder-making findings (i.e. the face of Virgin Mary on tree stumps and the like) .

http://www.adevarul.ro/locale/slati...coate_apa_fiarta_din_fantana_0_454154747.html (scroll down the page for the picture of the mentioned tree stump)

A year ago, Ion Dumitrana, found a cross inside of a tree log. The village man says his discovery has been working wonders and that, ever since he found it, his health improved. &#8220;I was gravely ill, suffered a stroke, but ever since I found this cross, I feel better. I&#8217;ve talked to a priest and he told me to have it sanctified.&#8221;, the man said. The township&#8217;s mayor offered to take it to the townhall, but the man who found it says he will never give it away.

Back