Minister Farrakhan Calls Out Rihanna

souldreamer7

Proud Member
Minister Farrakhan Calls Out Rihanna

Posted 3/2/11 8:03 am ET by D.L. Chandler in Interviews, Music News

rihanna-emas-575.jpg

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/03/02/minister-farrakhan-calls-out-rihanna/

Rihanna cannot keep herself out of the news even if she tried.

The pop star has now incurred the wrath and scathing criticism from one of the most beloved and, at times, maligned black leaders in the world. Controversial Nation of Islam leader Minister Louis Farrakhan, during his annual Savior’s Day speech in Illinois this past Sunday (February 27), singled out the Barbadian beauty by calling the 23-year old artist and her music “filthy” and referring to it as “swine.”

Rihanna boldly retorted via her Twitter account in an act of defiance. “A minister says I perform filthy, sat+watched the filth, then called u SWINE for doin the same! Haa, is that judgment in ur tone?” tweeted Rihanna the following day. The “What’s My Name” singer went on to add towards the Muslim leader, “I certainly don't think u are swine! But a holy man of God does!!! #swineNavy.”
Rihanna released her steamy video “S&M” last month and the sexually suggestive video caused quite a stir on the Internet and across various media outlets – the video has since been yanked from YouTube and banned in several countries according to reports.

Rihanna is also fighting a lawsuit from photographer David LaChapelle who claims that Rihanna’s longtime director Melina Matsoukas borrowed too heavily from his images and style, alleging that the video’s set was “directly derived” from the photographer’s original work. Matsoukas addressed the accusations, partly admitting that she was inspired by some of the themes found in LaChapelle’s work.

Rihanna claims to soak up the attention, saying that being provocative is an aim of hers. But is the pop diva running the risk of being overexposed with these potentially risky maneuvers?

Rihanna Fires Back At Minister Farrakhan

2zyhj7a.jpg

March 1, 2011

http://www.singersroom.com/news/6843/Rihanna-Fires-Back-at-Farrakhan-For-Swine-Comment

Lately Rihanna hasn’t been taking negative comments against her too lightly and Twitter has been her stomping ground to get vengeance.

Her latest reaction is to Nation of Islam leader Minister Louis Farrakhan after he blasted the pop star for her scantily clad style of dress and sexually suggestive dance moves; writing her off as "filthy" and calling her fans "swine," while speaking at the annual Saviors’ Day convention on Sunday (Feb. 27).

“A minister says I perform filthy, sat and watched the filth, then called you SWINE for doing the same! Haa, is that judgment in your tone?,” Rihanna posted on Twitter. “I certainly don’t think you are swine! But a holy man of God does!!!”

This is Rihanna’s second Twitter spat in the last few days.

Recently, she got into a catfight with R&B singer Ciara, but quickly apologized. The Twitter beef ran rampant after Ciara said Rihanna “wasn't the nicest” while on the TV show "Fashion Police".

Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan says Moammar Gadhafi has always been a friend and he won’t distance himself from the Libyan dictator.

Speaking Sunday at the annual Saviours’ Day convention at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Farrakhan didn’t discuss specifics about the deadly uprisings in Libya.

But the 77-year-old said no leader has been loved by 100 percent of his people and said that if Gadhafi is persecuted for crimes against humanity, the same should apply to former President George W. Bush for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Farrakhan visited Gadhafi in the 1980s and in 1996 accepted a humanitarian award from him. But during his speech Sunday he warned the wave of revolution spreading across the Middle East is coming to the United States.

Speaking to followers who all but filled the 18,000-seat venue, he said, “What you are looking at in Tunisia, in Egypt, in Yemen, in Jordan, in Libya, in Bahrain will soon, very soon be in all the nations of the world . . . and even sooner take place in America.

“What you see happening there, you’d better prepare because it will be coming to your door, America.”

And Farrakhan added, “I hope that President Obama will remember his instructions to all nations — be careful how you attack and kill innocent people who are protesting. Take your own words into your bosom and be reminded when it comes to your home.”

Followers rewarded him with several raucous standing ovations during the four-hour speech.

“Don’t leave until I close — that might be a year from now,” he joked with listeners at one point.

“Teach on!” his followers urged him.

Farrakhan also said he had spent time at the Church of Scientology’s celebrity center in Los Angeles and had been impressed with the church’s method of “auditing” — a process he said was comparable to therapy.

He said the church’s founder L. Ron Hubbard had a mission to “civilize white people,” adding that Hubbard “is so exceedingly valuable to every white person on this earth.”

Scientology books were available for sale at the Savior’s Day event, but Farrakhan said he was not converting and did not need a new religion.

His speech also covered familiar topics from previous Savior’s Day events, including a focus on the common beliefs of Christians and Muslims who he said “should not be at war with one another,” how the Nation of Islam believes that white people were created from blacks 4,000 years ago on an Aegean island by a black scientist, and on problems affecting the black community, including street gangs.

He also criticized the sexually charged performances of popstar Rihanna, saying they were “filthy” and that people who enjoyed such antics were “swine,” a description he also applied to homosexuals and lesbians. He also criticized immigrant Muslims in the Chicago area for moving to white suburbs and being patronizing toward black Muslims.

During Black History Month, schools should teach from Nation of Islam books that say Jewish people took advantage of blacks, he said. An Anti-Defamation League spokesman said Farrakhan’s comments were “just the usual hate speech and propoganda.”

He warned that non-believers and the sinful would face the wrath of God through high-technology UFOs or “wheels” that he has often described in previous addresses.

Contributing: AP

It hasn't been yanked from YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdS6HFQ_LUc

It may indeed be banned in several countries, though. That would be beyond my knowledge.

The irony here, of course, is that the Nation of Islam leader has proved Rihanna's point in the S&M video by criticizing it and her sexualized style/lyrics, just like the fictional newspapers do in the MV. Rihanna is like the rest of her pop music counterparts--she relishes in the media attention and is obviously an exhibitionist. While there's nothing wrong with that at all, calling her out in such a manner probably pleases her more than it annoys her--I think she expected the backlash, and has used it brilliantly for free publicity, just like others in her field have in the past.

Farrakhan's friendship with Gaddafi, the Libyan dictator, does not reflect too well on his person either. I think that makes regular people less keen on taking his words on Rihanna seriously. So, Rihanna is filthy and her fans are swine because she sells out and makes a sexy video to sell CD's and they lap it up like good puppies, but Gaddafi is 'a friend'?!?!

Yeah, I personally think Rihanna's a bit of a sell-out, and no better than the likes of Lady Gaga or Katy Perry, but... seriously? I would think crimes against humanity would be more repulsive to the human brain than some pseudo-artistic wench dancing around half-naked in an utterly pointless music video. I reckon Farrakhan's priorities are different than mine... (ya think!)

In any case, his condemning Rihanna while embracing Gaddafi, along with his praise for the Church of $cientology, pretty much tell us he's a bit Gaddaffy. :p

Yeah, people love to make their own hang ups someone else's issue. Swine?

I think people called Michael that too, I do remember some controversy around the time 'Black or White' was released.

Even the slightest profile will bring out those that drive to sharpen their own profile on someone else's success. I think there are other ways to write a speech for Sunday than looking to name call someone.

I'm not a Rihanna fan at all, but angry old guys ripping down good looking younger women for their 'swine' nature make me sing, Rihanna, make it even steamier.

Thank you but this should be merged with the Rihanna thread in "Music makes the world go round":yes:

I'm not going to defend Rhianna, she's a sell-out for real, that is severely controlled by the likes of those in show biz, and she loves it. But not going to defend a person who's a part of a 'nation' who believes that a certain race will rule the world (no matter which, how can one say that?), and that the Black were the ones who created the mountains and the seas. Nor one who has made quite a few racist remarks on Whites and, who called Malcolm Little a traitor when choosing to leave NOI. It's been documented that members of NOI have plotted to gun down and assassinate Little. Now what is he also doing?.. Siding with Scientology and Ron Hubbard's scientific, or rather sci-fi views on mentality, who was friends with the self-proclaimed 'antichrist', which was Jack Parsons? I won't even get into Scientology, wow..

So, yeah, Mr. Farrakhan better first up analyse and cleanse himself.

im sure he enjoyed watching the video. maybe he can go to tripoli and watch it with his buddy

I'm not going to defend Rhianna, she's a sell-out for real, that is severely controlled by the likes of those in show biz, and she loves it. But not going to defend a person who's a part of a 'nation' who believes that a certain race will rule the world (no matter which, how can one say that?), and that the Black were the ones who created the mountains and the seas. Nor one who has made quite a few racist remarks on Whites and, who called Malcolm Little a traitor when choosing to leave NOI. It's been documented that members of NOI have plotted to gun down and assassinate Little. Now what is he also doing?.. Siding with Scientology and Ron Hubbard's scientific, or rather sci-fi views on mentality, who was friends with the self-proclaimed 'antichrist', which was Jack Parsons? I won't even get into Scientology, wow..

So, yeah, Mr. Farrakhan better first up analyse and cleanse himself.

She's a Princess of the Illuminati. :p
Seriously. It's on her video, lol.

I agree with Alma on most points, though. It would appear as though Farrakhan has some thinking to do and some allegiances to reconsider, before he goes around calling other people 'swine.'

Back