Mike wanted to do the O2 for the fans not for the money....

Peter_Pan

Proud Member
Country
India
Michael Jackson told pal: I'll prove to world I''ve still got it...
Russell Myers
Tragic Michael Jackson told a close pal he relished performing his London 50 gigs this summer - to show he still had what it takes to be a superstar.

Former Sony Records boss Paul Russell was a friend of ***** for more than 30 years and dismissed claims that his death was linked to the pressure of the O2 Arena shows.

Michael, 50, called Paul a few weeks ago and asked his advice on the comeback plan. Paul, 65, recalled: "Michael sounded as if he was really up for the gigs. He said, 'I want to prove to the world I've still got it, Paul'.

"I told him anything Prince could do, someone of Michael's calibre could do even better.

"Maybe he wanted my reassurance. If I thought he couldn't have done the 50-date tour, I'd have told him. Michael had done this amount of gigs in much less time before. I don't believe he was feeling so much pressure. That's not the reason for his death. I know that."

***** vowed to Paul to put on a show that would be "out of this world".

And despite rumours he was broke, he insisted the O2 shows would be purely for "the fans, who I love".

Paul said: "He wanted to show everyone he could put on a show that would blow people away. It's just a shame he never got that chance."

Speaking from his beachside villa in Barbados, Paul went on: "It's so sad. I'm still numb. I really didn't see this coming. He told me he was fit and healthy and we talked about his excitement at signing his comeback deal, the 50 dates at the O2."

The pair first met when Michael was a 12-year-old on the verge of stardom, singing with his brothers in The Jacksons and Paul was a 27-year-old music executive working for CBS music, who signed the group in 1971.

They formed a lasting bond and Michael would lavish gifts on Paul's children as if they were his own.

The dad-of-five said: "He was truly a one-off, a superstar, an icon, that I don't think we will ever see again.

"But behind the millionaire lifestyle lay a devoted dad and caring man with a heart as big as the ocean.

"We've been robbed of a man who truly was the kindest I have ever met."

Joy Paul recalled a night during the HIStory tour of 1997 when he accompanied ***** and his team and their families on a secret midnight trip to Hamleys toy store in London.

He said: "There must have been 100 of us. You could see his eyes light up like a kid. He got joy in watching them having the time of their lives. Michael said they could have whatever they wanted and just paid for it.

"He was also dedicated to his craft. He always gave 100 per cent."

Paul saw the star's darker moments. Paul said: "One night Michael said to me, 'I worry sometimes about ending up like Elvis'."

But Paul added: "I'm sure his shows in London would have put him back on top. I, like millions, am heartbroken that he's been taken from us so soon."

russell.myers@people.co.uk

Pretty crappy so many doubted and still doubt him. I had hopes for what the shows would be like, and had some unfortunate doubts that they wouldn't happen, but never questioned whether he had the ability or not. If anything, that's what sucks the most about this situation: we all knew he had the ability, we just wanted him to show it to the world to shut the haters up.

^ that's what makes it hurt so much more, and 2 weeks away. Something unprecedented....

oh Michael.......

I love you

Back