Mike Salisbury and Off The Wall

mjdatabank

Proud Member
http://www.mjdatabank.com/magazine/interviews/mike_salisbury/eng.htm

Mike Salisbury: the Man behind the White Socks and Glove

mike_at_the_wall.jpg

VENICE, Calif., July 8, 2009

Famed designer Mike Salisbury, the man behind the imprint on a multitude of diverse products from HALO, the world’s most popular video game, Rolling Stone, Surfer and Playboy magazines to O’Neill and Gotcha surfwear and Levi’s 501 jeans (a brand Salisbury created), is also the genius behind Michael Jackson’s iconic image in black pants, glittery socks, and loafers wearing a single white glove.

Upon hearing of Jackson’s sudden death, Salisbury reflected on how the singer’s look came about.

Question: How did you end up working for Michael Jackson?
Salisbury: I saw Michael Jackson in the movie, The Wiz. I knew his agent and called him to say that Michael Jackson was going to be the biggest star ever and I would be anxious to work on something with him. Michael’s agent called me in to his office. He showed me an album cover mock up and said, "This is to be his solo album. What do you think?" I told him that it looked like a cheap ad for the children’s department at Macy’s. "I know", the agent said. "It sucks." "He is going to be huge—the biggest!" I exclaimed. "Let me come back with some ideas."

m1.jpg

http://www.mjdatabank.com/magazine/interviews/mike_salisbury/eng.htm

Last edited:
Salisbury: The white socks were so successful in drawing attention to Michael and his dance moves, there was a conversation about doing gloves, too. White gloves. To me, I felt that would start looking literally Mickey Mouse (and of course Michael was a big Mickey Mouse fan). Between the agent and Michael and me, we got it down to one white glitzy glove. Another great move for attention.
I keep hearing about a glove in the cover, but I've NEVER seen it....

Personally I like the cover with just Michael's legs and the white socks showing

if you read the article well, the glove came AFTER the socks, the loafers, black pants and the OTW artwork.
Q: Did you also suggest Michael wear a white glove?
Salisbury: The white socks were so successful in drawing attention to Michael and his dance moves, there was a conversation about doing gloves, too. White gloves. To me, I felt that would start looking literally Mickey Mouse (and of course Michael was a big Mickey Mouse fan). Between the agent and Michael and me, we got it down to one white glitzy glove. Another great move for attention.

I know the glove was worn after, but it reads as if the glove was to be worn on the cover

Back