Michael's work ethic?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
What was Michael's work ethic, how did he go about his day when he was in the middle of recording an album. Does anyone know how many hours a day he would work ? Would take breaks or a day off doing nothing ?

From what he showed in interviews and behind the scenes stuff, he was always turned on. He'd get an idea, and run to put it on tape before it left his mind, or would record himself dancing or when he had a concept for a new short film. He seemed to rarely ever be not "working", in a sense of always being on the look out for inspirations. He's got hundreds of demos of ideas that he had on the fly...

I hear he was a studio rat, and would stay at the soundboard til it sounded just right. Quincy Jones had a cute story of how he used to call him "smelly" or "stinky" cuz he was known to be in the studio for hours and hours, not stopping to take a shower or eat lol.

Another person working with him said he spent over 15 hours in the studio at times. And working during the nights a lot.

Didnt Quincy and Bruce start calling Michael smelly because he would often refer a good song as "smelly"

Didnt Quincy and Bruce start calling Michael smelly because he would often refer a good song as "smelly"

What I heard was that it was because Michael did not curse so where others would say a curse word he just said "smelly". So yeah, it could be that where others would have said "it's a f-ing good song" he just said "it's smelly".

I recently read a report on the making of Scream and Michael wasn't there in the morning but around 3PM and then he 'worked' all night... just getting it right...

I loved it how he told someone that people would get 'agitated' cause he would ask to do a certain take 'so many' times just until it was "perfect"... Well, that's what a Perfectionist does hey... What put the "Awwwww" factor in it for me was... Michael 'whispered' it and thought if his fans would know about this... they would 'hate' him... Awww, always a sweetheart hey... :blush:

Holidays? NOPE, an GIFTED artist like Michael doesn't go on Holiday... Like Michael said once in an Interview in the 80's... If I take one day off; I feel like I'm getting behind and setting a step back... Even if he would go to an island, he would 'create' stuff like screenplays...

yep, Artists are workaholics :smilerolleyes: It's the 'creative juice' that keeps them alive :cheeky:

Michael was an workaholic, but I really appreciated that he always put his kids first!

popcorn-MJ.gif

I recently read a report on the making of Scream and Michael wasn't there in the morning but around 3PM and then he 'worked' all night... just getting it right...

I loved it how he told someone that people would get 'agitated' cause he would ask to do a certain take 'so many' times just until it was "perfect"... Well, that's what a Perfectionist does hey... What put the "Awwwww" factor in it for me was... Michael 'whispered' it and thought if his fans would know about this... they would 'hate' him... Awww, always a sweetheart hey... :blush:

Holidays? NOPE, an GIFTED artist like Michael doesn't go on Holiday... Like Michael said once in an Interview in the 80's... If I take one day off; I feel like I'm getting behind and setting a step back... Even if he would go to an island, he would 'create' stuff like screenplays...

yep, Artists are workaholics :smilerolleyes: It's the 'creative juice' that keeps them alive :cheeky:

I'm sorry I'm confused. Hate him for what?

I'm sorry I'm confused. Hate him for what?

Michael, the EVER gentleman thought if WE would know that he was so 'strict' and 'stern' on other artists... Making them to do stuff for zillions of times just to the point were it's perfect... We would 'hate' or 'NOT LIKE' him for this 'treat' in his nature... That is just the KINDNESS of Michael always wanting to set the right example :blush:

Michael, the EVER gentleman thought if WE would know that he was so 'strict' and 'stern' on other artists... Making them to do stuff for zillions of times just to the point were it's perfect... We would 'hate' or 'NOT LIKE' him for this 'treat' in his nature... That is just the KINDNESS of Michael always wanting to set the right example :blush:

haha I remember him saying that :) Thanks for explaining what you meant :)

Back