Michael's voice in "Man in the mirror"...

Remington Steele

Proud Member
Did it also ever occur to you that Michael intended to use a wide spectrum of his voice in this song? I just love how he changes his voice for different parts of the song.
I'm not saying Michael wouldn't do this in other songs, of course, but IMO it's obvious especially in this song.

Do you think it would be correct to say that some variations of his voice (e.g., how he sings the line "They follow each other On the wind ya' know") can't be heard in any other of his songs - or am I wrong?

I hope you know what I mean...

I'm not an MJ expert - yet, but I hear his voice doing something in "Man in the Mirror" that I don't often hear in many of his other songs. That is when it goes into the lower register. I love hearing that in the line you quoted. But I'm not an expert and he probably does it more times than I can think of now. But I like it!

glad to see you know what I meant regarding that line.

Anybody knows a song where he does something similar (changing his voice style in so many variations)? I can't think of any other song...

Yeah , I know what you mean! I love that he does that.

In the grammys 88 performance in the adlibs at the end, the 'you you you' bit he gets to the lowest i think we've heard from him live. I wish he had done more stuff like that live, playing around with his vocals n stuff.

glad to see you know what I meant regarding that line.

Anybody knows a song where he does something similar (changing his voice style in so many variations)? I can't think of any other song...

2000 watts & butterflies & heal the world

thank you, you're right... will have to listen to that songs and the Grammy performance again!

yes, I love the vocal variations of MITM. I'm gonna have to think about whether it is present in other songs...

i always notice something different in every michael song, in regards to the different types of voices he has...he was so amazing in that way

Me too!

that's my song right there because it's so uplifting.

As for Man In The Mirror, I understand what the OP is saying
and it's a beautiful thing, gosh his voice in MITM is so good and I love the hiccups especially.

ooooh..the hiccups...*sigh* i just fall in love all over again :wub:

Other examples would be 'We've Had Enough', Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Human Nature etc..... Remember The Time (every morning, birds would SING!") He's so gifted vocally that he can do anything with any word or syallable that most singers try to avoid or deliver in a cliched way.

There was a reason he was getting hit songs delivered to him and his brothers at Motown at a very early age.... he was out-singing the greats back then.

Yeah... now that you mention the songs, I agree. What a loss, of a wonderful human being of course, but also what a talent. Did it really have to end like that...

I love how he sings the word LOVE in the line "I've been a victim of a selfish kind of love." It's just mesmerizing.

Yet another thing that MJ is the best at, the vocie range he has is like no one else...

Back