Michael's vocal range/classification

MJfan10

Proud Member
I couldn't find a thread on this. If there is one then I'm sorry.

Now we all know how amazing Michael voice is/was. I've heard and read that Michael has a vocal range of 4 octaves and he could sing 44 notes. Does anyone have more information on this?

We know Michael could sing falsetto (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough) and Baritone (2,000 Watts)

But what about Countertener and/or Soprano?

A very little info :

Jackson sang, because he was a child, and over time his style and voice call changed from puberty or a personal preference for his voice in the interpretation of themes and genres that has to react. Between 1971 and 1975, Jackson’s voice drops even slightly, his androgynous boy soprano high salary”. In the mid-1970s, the singer has a vocal hiccup” as in “Shake Your Body (Down to Earth). The purpose of the hiccups, a little ‘like a gulping for air or shakes, is encouraged to feel ‘excitement, sadness or fear. With the advent of Off the Wall in late 1970, the ability of Jackson as a singer ALLMUSIC heard as “incredibly talented singer”. In Time, Rolling Stone, the his voice compared to the “breathtaking dream stutter” of Stevie Wonder. The analysis also found that “Jackson’s feathery wood tone is extraordinarily beautiful. E ’slides perfectly into a beautiful falsetto voice, which is used very fat”.In 1982, the release of Thriller, and Rolling Stone were of the opinion that Jackson was singing in an adult voice” that “is characterized by sadness.”
The question of “bad” in 1987 seems gritty voice to light the colors fresh and the staff of the choir. A deliberate mispronunciation often from Jackson, who wrote “cha’mone” or “Shamon”, is also a basis for the press and caricatures of him. The beginning of 1990 was the publication of an album here intro spec tive hazardous Jackson used his voice for the distribution of themes and genres of. The New York Times noted that some of the documents, “said Schlücker breath, his voice shaking or anxiety drops desperately noise, whistling to the teeth and had a” crappy sound. ” If the singing of brotherhood or self-esteem the musician would be” smoothing “of the vote. ” in the closet, “the breath and in a loop of five scat-sung syllables, whereas the title of an album title, Jackson plays a voice report. [164] [167] In the case of Invincible, Rolling Stone were of the opinion that, at the age of 43-Jackson, also expressed great rhythm tracks and stirring vocal harmonies”. George Nelson Jackson set the voice and said: “The grace, the aggression and the grunting, natural boyishness falsetto voice, the softness that the combination of the elements of the mark as a great singer.

http://www.latemichaeljackson.org/vocal-style-of-michael-jackson/

Last edited:
His vocal range compared to some other male singers:
VocalRangeMale.jpg

Compared to some female singers:
VocalRangeFemale.jpg

&that range doesn't include his falcetto.

VocalRangeMale.jpg

VocalRangeFemale.jpg

Wow, that's impressive! Where is this from? Is this accurate? I mean I don't think Prince or Freddie Mercury could go so much higher than MJ. MJ was famous for his high notes.

^
I got it from another forum. Possibly isn't 100% accurate 'cos the other singers' ranges are only from wikipedia etc., but gives you an idea, at least.

Last edited:
^
I'm not completely sure, since I didn't make those comparisons... but I think it's safe to assume that at least MC's range includes "falsetto", which would mean it's possible that others' do too.

^
I'm not completely sure, since I didn't make those comparisons... but I think it's safe to assume that at least MC's range includes "falsetto", which would mean it's possible that others' do too.

To me the chart about the male singers doesn't seem accurate. It makes MJ look like Barry White (strong on the low notes, while quite a few singers being stronger than him on the high?). I don't think Prince can go higher than him on a normal voice. Prince's voice is deeper than Michael's. Unless in Prince's voice his falsetto is counted while in Michael's it isn't.

VocalRangeMale.jpg

VocalRangeFemale.jpg

This chart is interesting. But I don't think it's 100% right.

I'd like to hear him sing what's depicted in THAT lower range! :scratch: He's a tenor, not a bass or baritone. By the way, it is not accurate to want to determine "bass, baritone or tenor" based on range only.

This kind of 'classification' ALWAYS includes an assessment where throughout the range the most singing comfort is achieved, so called "tessitura". That more than anything aids in establishing the 'Fach' of the human voice. Another consideration is volume. For example, a lyrical tenor won't be singing Wagner on an opera stage longterm. Another thing is timbre.

Range alone won't tell you these things which is why all vocal instructors listen carefully to not only determine your range, but also see where in your range your best qualities are, at which points within your range your register changes happen and what volume you achieve where within your range.

The range chart alone is fairly nondescript- because as someone pointed out, just because a tenor hits that note once, doesn't mean he's comfortably able to do so singing wise. For example, if warmed up and daring, I could try and pull off those bat sounds that Mariah Carey used to do in the 90ies...just because I might be able to yelp that, doesn't mean it's a good idea or pleasurable for anyone to listen to. :D

Range alone doesn't make or break a classification. A good female contralto should be able to hit upper soprano range (ever had an alto for an instructor, when you're a soprano- my teacher could blow me away hitting stuff in MY supposed range :D)- but that doesn't make her a soprano, despite being able to hit these notes. It's the other qualities that make her a contralto in the first place, just as the soprano doesn't become a contralto because she's able to sing a contralto aria.

Last edited:
VocalRangeMale.jpg
This chart is totally wrong... for most singers it includes vocal fry, high notes sung without breath support and even falsetto. None of them are included into vocal range. Actually, 3 octaves range of clear voice with proper breath support is a phenomenon.
And about Michael - he's a classic example of a tenor. Definitely not baritone

Last edited:
Michael Jackson Michael Jackson's Voice - Falsetto Master and Counter Tenor Extraordinaire

In my opinion, Michael Jackson possessed one of the greatest voices of our time. Here I describe just one technical aspect of why his voice was so very exceptional--its expansive range and beauty in its upper register.

Almost everyone has vibrato, the natural wave sound in the voice. Both males and females have vibrato, although I once had a very unusual voice coach that had none and was a lousy singer as a consequence. Depending on the style of music, you can supress the vibrato and produce what is called a straight tone--no wave. But this more or less a continuum of sound. Popular music usually goes for the straight end of the spectrum, opera goes for the wavey end.

In contrast, a falsetto voice is a type of sound that is only produced by a male voice.* It is a high voice that occurs after an upper register break in a male voice. Male singers, whether tenor, baritone, or bass can produce this falsetto sound. That is why it is called falsetto (root word false)--it means a false voice--a false high. (If you ever listened to Jackie Jackson's lead on 2300 Jackson Street, for example, that is a falsetto sound). I think this has to do something with physical anatomy of the voice box which differs in males and females. Gifted instrument of nature that he was, Michael could produce true high notes without having to access this false voice. He had extraordinary range that naturally included high notes, and then he had access to falsetto on top of that. No enhanced technology needed. This type of male singing voice is usually called counter tenor. Among counter tenors, Michael was the best in my opinion. If you listen to classical music, especially from the baroque period, you will usually find that the solos written for counter tenors can also be sung by a female alto or mezzo-soprano. The range is identical. In present day classical music, females often sing these roles because true counter tenors are a relatively rare find.

If you search YouTube, there are a number of recordings of vocalization sessions that Michael had with his coach, Seth Riggs. Here is one for starters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX2T67jx_lg.

Michael Jackson's voice was certainly a rare, one of a kind gift. We are blessed to have heard it.

*Since I originally wrote this, Planet Jackson has informed me that scientists have recently discovered and documented the existence of female falsetto.

**Falsetto examples in Michael Jackson's work - "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough," "Butterflies," "Smooth Criminal" (used selectively on "Butterflies" and "Smooth Criminal, but not for the entire song in either case).
***Other artists using falsetto - Philip Bailey (Earth, Wind, and Fire), "Reasons"
Prince, "I Want To Be Your Lover" (The entire song is done in falsetto
voice. Compare that to his natural vocal range on "Purple Rain".)

****The following quotation came from "What's Your Frequency", an Inner Michael Message by Reverend Barbara Kaufman (www.innermichael.com):

"Michael's vocal tick occurring on the in breath before phrasing a lyric is indicative of deep emotion. His voice, a clear tenor, vocal timbre: Spinto, Countertenor, Baritone. Highest note: B5; Lowest note : E2 Vocal range: 3.6+ octaves-- E2-B5; 44 notes by the middle of 1980s according to Seth Riggs, vocal consultant. In the 1990s, Riggs said the range expanded to 4 octaves.

Four octaves gives Michael Jackson a range that few can match."

.http://www.michaeljackson.com/sg/bl...setto-master-and-counter-tenor-extraordinaire

Last edited:
Michael Jackson Michael Jackson's Voice - Falsetto Master and Counter Tenor Extraordinaire

In my opinion, Michael Jackson possessed one of the greatest voices of our time. Here I describe just one technical aspect of why his voice was so very exceptional--its expansive range and beauty in its upper register.

Almost everyone has vibrato, the natural wave sound in the voice. Both males and females have vibrato, although I once had a very unusual voice coach that had none and was a lousy singer as a consequence. Depending on the style of music, you can supress the vibrato and produce what is called a straight tone--no wave. But this more or less a continuum of sound. Popular music usually goes for the straight end of the spectrum, opera goes for the wavey end.

In contrast, a falsetto voice is a type of sound that is only produced by a male voice.* It is a high voice that occurs after an upper register break in a male voice. Male singers, whether tenor, baritone, or bass can produce this falsetto sound. That is why it is called falsetto (root word false)--it means a false voice--a false high. (If you ever listened to Jackie Jackson's lead on 2300 Jackson Street, for example, that is a falsetto sound). I think this has to do something with physical anatomy of the voice box which differs in males and females. Gifted instrument of nature that he was, Michael could produce true high notes without having to access this false voice. He had extraordinary range that naturally included high notes, and then he had access to falsetto on top of that. No enhanced technology needed. This type of male singing voice is usually called counter tenor. Among counter tenors, Michael was the best in my opinion. If you listen to classical music, especially from the baroque period, you will usually find that the solos written for counter tenors can also be sung by a female alto or mezzo-soprano. The range is identical. In present day classical music, females often sing these roles because true counter tenors are a relatively rare find.

If you search YouTube, there are a number of recordings of vocalization sessions that Michael had with his coach, Seth Riggs. Here is one for starters

Michael Jackson's voice was certainly a rare, one of a kind gift. We are blessed to have heard it.

*Since I originally wrote this, Planet Jackson has informed me that scientists have recently discovered and documented the existence of female falsetto.

**Falsetto examples in Michael Jackson's work - "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough," "Butterflies," "Smooth Criminal" (used selectively on "Butterflies" and "Smooth Criminal, but not for the entire song in either case).
***Other artists using falsetto - Philip Bailey (Earth, Wind, and Fire), "Reasons"

****The following quotation came from "What's Your Frequency", an Inner Michael Message by Reverend Barbara Kaufman (www.innermichael.com):

"Michael's vocal tick occurring on the in breath before phrasing a lyric is indicative of deep emotion. His voice, a clear tenor, vocal timbre: Spinto, Countertenor, Baritone. Highest note: B5; Lowest note : E2 Vocal range: 3.6+ octaves-- E2-B5; 44 notes by the middle of 1980s according to Seth Riggs, vocal consultant. In the 1990s, Riggs said the range expanded to 4 octaves.

.http://www.michaeljackson.com/sg/bl...setto-master-and-counter-tenor-extraordinaire

Just, wow!

Amazing!

That chart definitely isn't accurate. Prince can sing very low in a strong baritone voice, and I believe Michael Jackson can sing very high. MJ's range should be scooted over to the right a bit. And it's crazy they have Marvin Gaye listed as being able to sing higher than Michael Jackson. Something isn't right there. Lol

Back