Michael's music peaked in the 90s, and i'm tired of pretending otherwise.

IhateTheMedia

Proud Member
Country
United-States
From masterpieces like Stranger in moscow, They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song, to underrated tracks like Little Susie, Morphine, Who Is It which are bangers. He only made 3 albums during this decade and has a ridiculous amount of incredible songs. It's crazy since he still had enough material from unreleased Dangerous songs to make another album and it would have still been amazing. The 2000s i think had potential to match this, given how experimental it seemed his songs were compared to the previous decades, however with all of the unreleased and un-leaked songs from this period it's hard to measure. But i'd say musically & theatrics wise, the GOAT peaked during the 90s but his health and live capabilities peaked during the 80s. The leap in quality when you hear the first disk from History to the second disk is kind of crazy, i'd say the only song i genuinely dislike from that album would be This Time Around.

Agreed. His 90's work gets mostly ignored (especially from the estate) but the history era is his most personal and interesting time imo. Had '93 never happened, I think even the general publics perception of his later career would have been very different.
Had the allegations never happened what kind of album would HIStory have been? Now that’s an interesting question!

Also it is not impossible for critics or people in general to change their mind. When Dylan went electric in 65/66 critics and audience hated it. Now the 3 albums he released in that period are considered milestones in pop music.

Had the allegations never happened what kind of album would HIStory have been? Now that’s an interesting question!

From masterpieces like Stranger in moscow, They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song, to underrated tracks like Little Susie, Morphine, Who Is It which are bangers.
The irony of this statement though, is that most of these songs originated from the 70s and 80s.

They Don't Care About Us - Originated in 1990.
Earth Song - Originated in 1988.
Little Susie - Originated in 1978.
Who Is It - Originated in 1989.

Stranger in Moscow and Morphine both originated in the early - mid 90s and are the exceptions to my point so that's fair. But they are definitely the cream of the crop as far as original 90s cuts go.

As it is though, the Bad Era was a peak for MJs composition ability. Which really started getting as strong as it did by Destiny, 1978.

Possibly Dangerous 2.0. Maybe an earlier Invincible, but with more passion and polish.
and why do you dislike my comment for putting on a new jack swing song?

Yes I totally agree with you! His music peaked during the 90's but his popularity (and health) peaked during the 80's. Popularity and music are two very different things!
His international fame was far greater in the 90s. Domestically Thriller is obviously peak but if not for the allegations, Dangerous could have easily outsold it

His international fame was far greater in the 90s. Domestically Thriller is obviously peak but if not for the allegations, Dangerous could have easily outsold it
People are not buying physical media anymore. It only ever went down. How many times do we gotta talk about this

and why do you dislike my comment for putting on a new jack swing song?
I don't like album titles that are more than one word

His international fame was far greater in the 90s.
I doubt this big time. The Thriller mania was worldwide and far bigger than anything else in music history.
Domestically Thriller is obviously peak but if not for the allegations, Dangerous could have easily outsold it
Of course not. Dangerous had run its course by the time the allegations came

His international fame was far greater in the 90s. [...]
Obviously the global viewing figures for BoW were massive but I think that's an illustration of what was created during the Thriller - Bad era. I'm not sure if his global reach in the early 90's was actually bigger than Thriller / Bad.

I doubt this big time. The Thriller mania was worldwide and far bigger than anything else in music history.
(y)

Thriller mania with a side helping of the Bad tour, I would say.

I don't like album titles that are more than one word
but I posted a lead single, not an album title
200.gif

Last edited:

Of course not. Dangerous had run its course by the time the allegations came
He wasn't shutting countries down everywhere and being greated like a world leader or pope during the early 1980s. That was a regular occurance during the 90s

Back