Michael's Most Underrated Short Films/Music Videos

Emerald

Proud Member
Apart from all the big, well-known and well-respected MJ short films, what do you think are his hidden gems?

I think Childhood is an amazing video, and really underrated.
It's so magical, so enchanting, and captures the wonderment of childhood really well. It's also so bittersweet; we see Michael in pain because of the way people perceive him and because of his own lost childhood. Michael looks so beautiful in the video too, I just want to give him a hug :hug:

By non-fans Speed Demon is really underrated. A lot of non-fans haven't even heard of the snog. I love the short film! It's like a Disney movie or something. Plus Michael looks really cute in it!

Even though Michael isn't even in the video for Cry, I think it's beautiful. It's spiritual and inspirational. It preaches one of Michael's messages - that if we join as one the world can change for the better.

I think Ghosts is underrated too as most people haven't even heard of it

Whazupwitu, lol. Nah, I like "She's Out Of My Life". It's simple, no big routines & no effects. I wonder why he never put it on any of his video compilations.

I like She's Out Of My Life too. To me it looked like he filmed it after he did Rock With You :)

"Who Is It", "Ghosts" and "Stranger In Moscow" are all very underrated if you ask me.

Who Is It.

Scream. Just look at the computer effects. Most from around that time (apart from maybe big blockbuster movies like Jurassic Park) look really dated, but this video could've been made yesterday.

Thriller dated horribly and is overrated imo.

I agree with Who Is It and Stranger in Moscow.
Scream I don't think is underrated. People always talk about it - it's in the public consciousness. Is it still the most expensive music video ever made? 7 million or something?

Who Is It reminds me of a David Lynch film. Creepy, but great.

I didn't even know he had a video for "She's Out of My Life" until recently, and I thought I'd seen it all. It's got to be the least popular for sure.

When I think of underrated, I have to say "Speed Demon". It's amazing but it seems nobody remembers it when it comes to his greatest videos.

I agree with Who Is It and Stranger in Moscow.
Scream I don't think is underrated. People always talk about it - it's in the public consciousness. Is it still the most expensive music video ever made? 7 million or something?

I've never heard anyone talk about Scream. It's always either Thriller or Smooth Criminal.

Scream was SO avant garde and futuristic for it's time.

I've never heard anyone talk about Scream. It's always either Thriller or Smooth Criminal.

Billie Jean? Beat It?
I always hear people talk about those.
And I've heard people talk about Scream too.
Depends on whom we've spoken to though doesn't it lol!

I didn't even know he had a video for "She's Out of My Life" until recently, and I thought I'd seen it all. It's got to be the least popular for sure.

When I think of underrated, I have to say "Speed Demon". It's amazing but it seems nobody remembers it when it comes to his greatest videos.
That was never a single and wasn't really shown on TV. Mostly people who bought Moonwalker saw it, at least when it was originally released. Anyway, in the 1970s & 1980s claymation was pretty common, so it probably didn't stick out.

"Who Is It", "Ghosts" and "Stranger In Moscow" are all very underrated if you ask me.

I agree with these three, as well. 'Ghosts' is an incredible piece of art with the innovative technology that was cutting edge back then but of the norm today.

Speed Demon (soooo underated)
Earth Song
Stranger In Moscow
Earth Song
They Dont Care About Us (prison version)
Blood On The Dance Floor
Who Is It
Give In to me

Last edited:
Who Is It...

But after realizing that it's an impersonator in many scenes I kind of get thrown off by it.
I have a phobia for impersonators, kind of like my phobia for clowns.

Stranger in Moscow is really beautiful also.

Back