Michael's Most Autobiographical Songs

ThankyouMichael

Proud Member
Looking back at Michael's entire life, which of his songs do you feel have turned out to be the most autobiographical...or tell the story of his life? This includes J5 and Jacksons songs.
And please explain why.

Thinking about the type of guy Michael was his whole life, I reckon 'Bless His Soul' pretty much explains how he lived it.
Re-listen to the song and read the lyrics. You'll see what I mean.

I try to do what's right for me
But no one sees the way I see
And then I try to please them so
But how far can this pleasing go?

Something's soon to come over you
You just can't please the world and yourself
You gotta start doing what's right for you
'Cause life is being happy yourself

Then you should bless his soul
It's hard to find
A person like you
You're one of a kind
If I were you, I'd change my mind
And start living for me in these changing times

Sometimes I cry 'cause I'm confused
Is this a fact of being used?
There is no life for me at all
'Cause I give myself at beck and call

It's hard to find
A person like you
You're one of a kind

The life you're leading is dangerous
It's so dangerous, dangerous
Oh, the life you're leading is dangerous
Doggone dangerous, dangerous, dangerous

It's hard to find
A person like you
You're one of a kind
People will cry
If rain or sun
Try to please all
And you've pleased none

Ever since he was young, people kept saying Michael always wanted to please his fans and not to let anyone down. And who'd have thought this desire to please was with him til his very last days. I wish he just did what made HIM happy, whether it meant being a total family man and never touring again or just relaxing in peace for once.
These lyrics just seem so prophetic in hindsight. "The life you're leading is dangerous."
The pressure, people pulling him in all directions and him not wanting to let people down. Gosh, Michael.

I think he said in moonwalk that bless his soul and that's what you get for being polite were really about him and his situation. They really seem to be speaking about him. Also childhood is the one he says is his most autobiographical and anyone seeking to understand him should listen to it.

Oh yeah, I forgot he actually talked about 'Bless His Soul' and 'TWYGFBP' in Moonwalk...:)

I agree with you both, 'Childhood' is at the top of the list!

Come on, guys. This thread is based on your opinion. What are the songs, in YOUR opinion, that reflects MJ's life most? Post some lyrics and stuff for God's sake. :lol:

Very interesting topic, I was thinking of starting the same kind of thread.

I have the feeling that he was saying a lot about him, or experiences he had, in a lot of songs, or sometimes maybe just part of the songs. But since he did not really explain his lyrics, it's hard to tell sometimes.

I think he says a lot too in Ghosts / Is it Scary, and I love the way these songs are written.

Ghosts sounds like a sequel of Thriller. Thriller is like a beginning, full of hope and ambitions, he tells us he can thrill us more than any ghost would ever dare try. 15 years after, he has been thrilling us, but the ghosts have won, and are haunting is life. To me ghosts is a song about the dark sides of fame, and how he felt it affected his life.

Is it scary is obviously about his public image, and who is the stranger, or who is stranger ? Him or the people around misunderstanding him, maybe I should say trying hard to misunderstand him by mixing what he wanted to show us as an artist, the shows, and who he was as a person, and going too far disecting his life, twisting everything around.

I'm also thinking about songs like Billie Jean (crazy "fans" and how it can impact your life), Black or White and a reference to vitiligo and the way he looked ("don't tell me you agree with me, when I saw you kicking dirt in my eyes"- at the time of its release, the change of his skin color had become really obvious, but he hadn't explained it yet. It gave "Black or white" a special dimension), Dirty Diana about the groupies / Diana Ross...

Am I interpreting too much ? Can you think of more songs ? It would be great to hear what you think, and have them all in one thread.

Wow, an answer to the thread! Yay! :lol:

Bouee, great examples and interpretations, especially 'Is It Scary' which you explained so well. :D It's such an intense song, lyrically and musically.
Some of the most telling lyrics are "Am I amusing you or just confusing me?" and I also love "You know you're scaring me too" at the end of the song.

I like the songs where Michael delves into those deeper problems within himself.
Have you checked out his earlier self-written songs from the Jacksons days? :)

Can't believe no one has mentioned Stranger In Moscow. One of his most autobiographical songs in my opinion. It's kind of painful to listen to sometimes, but such a beautiful, eerie song. I really think it's one of the best he's written.

I was wandering in the rain
Mask of life, feelin' insane
Swift and sudden fall from grace
Sunny days seem far away
Kremlin's shadow belittlin' me
Stalin's tomb won't let me be
On and on and on it came

Here abandoned in my fame
Armageddon of the brain
KGB was doggin' me
Take my name and just let me be
Then a begger boy called my name
Happy days will drown the pain
On and on and on it came
And again, and again, and again...
Take my name and just let me be

Stranger In Moscow
That's What You Get (For Being Polite)
Childhood
Will You Be There

Unfortunately I think Morphine is quite autobiographical.
Will You Be There is most likely autobiographical.

Looking back at Michael's entire life, which of his songs do you feel have turned out to be the most autobiographical...or tell the story of his life? This includes J5 and Jacksons songs.
And please explain why.

Thinking about the type of guy Michael was his whole life, I reckon 'Bless His Soul' pretty much explains how he lived it.
Re-listen to the song and read the lyrics. You'll see what I mean.

I try to do what's right for me
But no one sees the way I see
And then I try to please them so
But how far can this pleasing go?

It's hard to find
A person like you
You're one of a kind

Sometimes I cry 'cause I'm confused
Is this a fact of being used?
There is no life for me at all
'Cause I give myself at beck and call

It's hard to find
A person like you
You're one of a kind

The life you're leading is dangerous
It's so dangerous, dangerous
Oh, the life you're leading is dangerous
Doggone dangerous, dangerous, dangerous

It's hard to find
A person like you
You're one of a kind
People will cry
If rain or sun
Try to please all
And you've pleased none

Ever since he was young, people kept saying Michael always wanted to please his fans and not to let anyone down. And who'd have thought this desire to please was with him til his very last days. I wish he just did what made HIM happy, whether it meant being a total family man and never touring again or just relaxing in peace for once.
These lyrics just seem so prophetic in hindsight. "The life you're leading is dangerous."
The pressure, people pulling him in all directions and him not wanting to let people down. Gosh, Michael.

yeah that one is one defenetly

Unfortunately I think Morphine is quite autobiographical.
Will You Be There is most likely autobiographical.

Morphine was more like a cry for help, and yes autobiographical too.

I must agree with Stranger in Moscow and have to add The Lost Children too.

will you be there as well, oooh there are so many

Most of the History album lyrics too, as well as the Blood On The Dance Floor album too, and many from Invincible

in the actual song Blood On the dance floor he says "to escape the world i have to enjoy this simple dance" thats pretty much a describing sentece of how he felt, he wanted to escape, Oh that brings here the actual song Escape which was not formally edited, its also know as Xcape, but there are many many autobiographical songs he did

Stranger in Moscow and Childhood.
SIM is very very sad and painful to listen to.
'Armageddon of the Brain' how did he ever think of that line?

Back