michael's b-sides

The Moonwalker

Proud Member
how come he never used outtakes or rare songs as his b-sides or never recorded random songs, always album tracks?

prince uses non-album tracks for his b-sides and a lot of them are awesome tracks!

any ideas as to why mike never did this?

Sting, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, & Tori Amos are also known for having a lot of b-sides. Janet has had quite a few herself. When singles were still released Mike usually either had an album track or an instrumental of the a-side. He's had very few b-side tracks like Shout & Can't Get Outta The Rain.

Last edited:
Come Together was also used as a Remember The Time B-side but I think he didn't like the concept because he doesn't seem to have the same vision of his music than Prince has. Prince always records music, just for fun, not only in order to put that music on the next album. Michael thinks that a song has to be perfect to be on an album; if it's not, then it doesn't deserve to be on any disc. That's the big difference between these two artists. I wish Michael could change a little now and produce more music, like Prince (I'm a big fan of him too ;)), but I respect the way he works because he gave us the music we all know.

MJ didn't want to waste tracks and it works and then it can backfire. B sides can be tight but it can also be gimmicky. I feel MJ got it right.

Back