"MICHAEL" - why no year is mentioed in the booklet?

ain't it weird that there is no year for no song (none of the 10 ones) of that album i nthe booklet?
the year each was written and when recorded?

do u guys have any info regarding that? about each song?
:)

and... If it has been discussed, could u pelase lead me to the thread please.

:) :)

Maybe cause they wanted to promote it as Michael's latest hits?

lol Latest Hits? Are they sure Best of Joy was recorded and finished in 2009 ? They are telling us that most of this Album was done around 2003-2009(Something like that)And most of the songs were dated as far back as the Thriller days. Remember The 1st release of TUC and in the Booklet everything we knew about certain songs were the wrong dates recorded and rerecorded Around the time Michael was still with us. IF we got the releases that had the wrong info,WE HAVE COLLECTORS ITEMS FOR SURE and the rest have the corrected ones that came out later.
I hope the next suppose CD will be Michael Dated from 2005-2009 and it must be pure Michael Jackson Like Pure Smokey Robinson and Ronald Isley.

It's pretty obvious that Best of Joy is a recent song. You can hear it in Michael's voice. If you listen to Behind the mask or Much too soon it's obvious those songs are much older. But I agree, it's quite strange that no dates are mentioned.

Best of Joy and Hollywood Tonight were recorded in October 2008. None of them were totally finished by Michael though. Much too soon was written in the early 80s but re-recorded in 1994. So what we hear on the album was recorded in 1994. Behind the Mask is a Thriller outtake. The Cascio songs were recorded in late 2007. Hold my Hand with Akon too (or was it 2008?).

There original idea was to create an album with the latest material which Michael had.

Keep Your Head Up, Monster, Breaking News - 2007
Hollywood Tonight - Invincible Outtake, Re-worked in 2007.
Best Of Joy - 2009
Behind The Mask - 1981
Much Too Soon - Not sure started for Thriller. Michael kept coming back to it, but never fitted on an album. HIStory outtake?
Another Day - 2001
Hold My Hand - 2007

Dates are obviously not accurate, but this is what I have got seeing different threads.

Last edited:
i agree. and they think we fans are fools! :doh!
not mentioing the years does not mean we won't find out!
they should learn that lesson.

It would help if I knew what booklet you meant:yes:
the booklet of "MICHAEL" album?

Hello. It's me. I just wanted to say that the album was made from the latest tracks currently AVAILABLE. There are much many recordings Sony doesn't still even know about because Michael was allowed to record by himself whenever he wanted to. It's not that easy to have publishing rights for whatever you want. Also, it was about the lyrics. They wanted to appreciate Michael's legacy with approriate lyrical messages.

I feel that they try 2 hide the info so that the fans cant make comparison. i dont really like this album much

There original idea was to create an album with the latest material which Michael had.

Hollywood Tonight - Invincible Outtake, Re-worked in 2007.
Best Of Joy - 2009
Behind The Mask - 1981
Much Too Soon - Not sure started for Thriller. Michael kept coming back to it, but never fitted on an album. HIStory outtake?
Another Day - 2001
Hold My Hand - 2007

Dates are obviously not accurate, but this is what I have got seeing different threads.

Changed a little, this one more accurate.

Hollywood Tonight - 1999
Best Of Joy - 2009
Behind The Mask - 1981
Much Too Soon - 1994
Another Day - 2001
Hold My Hand - 2007
(I Like) The Way You Love Me - 1998/99

hollywood tonight 1999? why do you think so? :D (infos pls!!)
would be very interesting when he recorded it, since its known he reworked it in 2007.
are the vocals that old?

If you listen to the "VOICE" you can put a timeline together of when these songs where recorded.
And Best Of Joy is about 75% Complete and was recorded in early 2009.

Hollywood Tonight - 1999
Best Of Joy - 2009
Behind The Mask - 1981
Much Too Soon - 1994
Another Day - 2001
Hold My Hand - 2007

Cheers Birchey!

I wasn't sure for Much Too Soon, and then you cleared it up for me with Hollywood :D

Hollywood Tonight - 1999
Best Of Joy - 2009
Behind The Mask - 1981
Much Too Soon - 1994
Another Day - 2001
Hold My Hand - 2007

Thanks Birchey. Now I understand when "Michael" was recorded, its no longer a mystery!

I'm pretty much sure they did it on purpose to confuse the fans and manipulate the dates that suit them best later on.
As for Much Too Soon, as far as I know Michael wrote and composed it in 1981, but first mix was recorded in 1994.

I'm pretty much sure they did it on purpose to confuse the fans and manipulate the dates that suit them best later on.
As for Much Too Soon, as far as I know Michael wrote and composed it in 1981, but first mix was recorded in 1994.

Yes sure was. Michael obviously recorded in 1981. And then re-did it in 1994 to update his vocals. Which is the version on 'Michael'

The version with the newest and clearest vocals. most likely the 1994 version of Much too Soon

I think it's obvious that they wanted this album promoted as MJ's latest studio album. That is was somehow MJ's grand vision that these songs were all supposed to be together on one album. If you look back at MJ's studio albums, they don't list dates for individual songs. So therefore there are no dates for the songs on Michael. Now, us fans know that Michael is more of a compilation album than a true studio album. However, the promotion of this album is geared towards a sudio album and not a compilation like The Ultimate Collection.

Hollywood Tonight - 1999
Best Of Joy - 2009
Behind The Mask - 1981
Much Too Soon - 1994
Another Day - 2001
Hold My Hand - 2007

I'm pretty sure Behind The Mask is from mid- 1982

ain't it weird that there is no year for no song (none of the 10 ones) of that album i nthe booklet?
the year each was written and when recorded?

do u guys have any info regarding that? about each song?
:)

and... If it has been discussed, could u pelase lead me to the thread please.

:) :)
Well "Michael" features 2 songs from the "Thriller" era (1980's) Behind The Mask & Much Too Soon
Hold My Hand, Hollywood Tonight, The Way You Love Me, Another Day were recorded from 1997 - 2009
Best Of Joy was written and recorded in 2009 some sources say June 2009 was the month Michael completed the song
Keep Your Head Up, Monster, Breaking News were recorded in 2007 but completed from 2007 - 2010

Hope this helps :)

Back