Michael & The Neptunes ... why didn't a collaboration happen?!

xrisx

Proud Member
That question has been bothering me for years. I think they would have been an incredible combination.
Even just reading the interview they did together (MJ and Pharell) it just seemed like they were on the same wavelength when it comes to making music. Also their music hasn't aged over the years. It still sounds as fresh today as it did when it came out. That seems like something Michael has always been after (and been able to do) as well.
Granted I'm a Neptunes/ Pharrell Williams fan so i might be a little biased but imagine Michael singing these songs:

[youtube]FQ3slUz7Jo8[/youtube]
That beat alone...I could see Michael dancing to it.

[youtube]wijdSooA5vE[/youtube]
Especially the Bridge part of this song.

[youtube]oTKQBKzMUzk[/youtube]
Especially this one. Sounds so like Michael, made around 2003 appariantly.

I could go on and on.
This is one of the few times I just don't get why Michael never worked with them. I think they submitted some songs to him but he didn't record them for some reason?
He probably had his reasons but I just wish I knew why. I think they would have come up with some amazing songs.
And the worst part.... why Akon but not them? lol

Am I the only one who would have loved to see this collaboration?

It would have been interesting. Why Akon and Will i am and not them? I'm sure Mike had his reasons but in my opinion a Neptunes collabaration would have made much more sense

Didnt Michael work with The Neptunes for a song that didnt make it to Invincible.. I Thought i read it somewhere..

Most of the songs on Justin Timberlake's first album were intended for Michael. Rock Your Body, Senorita....they were apparently pitched to Michael first by Pharrel Williams, but he didn't want them and they were given to Justin.

^^ yes, I heard about that. Sucks though I bet it would have sounded even better with Michael singing it.
I guess one of the reasons I would have loved it is because I think it would have brought him back to a more of an Off the wall kind of sound. Pharrell and Chad have always said they were big fans and influenced by him. I love that they have the same kind of quircks in their songs like you can hear on Otw.

Thanks for the link btw. :) So according to that his manager turned the songs down?
I didn't know they were involved in his music like that. (Or this was probably during the Dieter Weisner time or something)

Also I didn't know this song was originally for Michael as well. Always liked this song.

[youtube]3AszPTJXIgM[/youtube]

Senorita would've been SUCH a big hit for Michael, and it has such a sexy, grown up feel to it. Where as, as much as I love Rock Your Body, the lyrics are kind of sub-par and it's a little too similar to Rock With You.

Back