Michael & The MTV Icon Award

babykinsilk05

Proud Member
Ok so I know this may be an OLD and TIRED topic, but there is just something that has been bothering me for years about this. I always just wondered why Michael was not given the FIRST MTV Icon award back in 2001. I mean no offence to Janet but when I think of MTV (of all the music video related channels) I automatically think of Michael. He put that channel on THE MAP, it was his videos that not only revolutionized music but made EVERY other artist (including Janet) step there game up and take the "music video" seriously. I know that he was given the MTV video vangaurd award (and it was later named after him) but when it came time to choose who would get the FIRST Mtv Icon award, I'm almost CERTAIN his name came up, I mean it just had to. So why on earth did they give it to Janet? I mean between the two of them...Janet? Really? Again, I'm not trying to take anything away from Janet in terms of her accomplishments and "status" in the industry, but the FIRST Mtv Icon award??? I mean, that award...especially the FIRST one (no matter if we deemed it not that important in the end) should not have gone to anybody other than MJ IMO and if they weren't going to give it to him, they shouldn't have given it to anyone...let alone "the other" famous Jackson. I always wondered if that was intentional, if there was some kind of dispute behind the scenes that the public didn't know about (I believed this for a while, especially after the 2002 incident), or if MJ was just simply not available. The funny thing is that it's not like MJ was "in hiding" or hadn't worked in a while, he had a brand new freaking album about to drop. Idk, it just always baffled me...again no offence to die-hard Janet fans. I know Mike did the sweet big brother thing and congratualed her on it, but it had to have pinched...if just for a little while.

This all Just came back to me after MTV naming him their "Man of the Year"...anybody got any details about what really happened? I know their must've been some ramblings about it back when it actually happened.

Back