"Michael" places in New York City

Courtney

Proud Member
I'm planning a trip to New York and what I mean by "Michael places" is, are there any places in New York related to Michael or any specific places in New York that he liked to be in? Or any places that he was widely known to visit there? Where in NY has he performed or made appearances? If any, please share, I'd like to try and visit in memory of him.

I think Michael stayed in the Trump Tower on 5th Avenue while recording for HIStory in 1994. He shopped at Strand Book Store and FAO Schwarz before. He also performed at the Madison Square Garden (BAD Tour and the 30th Anniversary Celebration). Per Kathy Hilton, Michael also stayed at Waldorf Astoria too.

Times Square is a must. It's the most lively neigborhood in NY. You may be able to see street crews performing to Michael's songs. Just the other day, I saw them perform to YRMW. Michael's spirit is very much alive.

The Virgin Store where Michael had his only album signing event is no longer there.

These are all I can think of at this moment. Hope you have a wonderful trip in the big apple!

Thanks love is magical! I'll look up those places. People really perform his songs in the streets? That's so cool, I hope I run into that. And thank you, I plan to! I don't know when I'm going to go yet, still figuring that out, but I surely cannot wait! :)

Obvious places:
- Apollo Theather where Jackson 5 performed, where Michael watched James Brown and other legends. They give tours inside and still have an amateur night once a week.
- Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station, where music video "Bad" was filmed.
- Madison Square Garden, where MJ gave 2 concerts in 2001.
- Hit Factory recording studio where HIStory sessions were held (it's closed now and not a studio anyymore, I think, but you can see the building).

Obvious places:
- Apollo Theather where Jackson 5 performed, where Michael watched James Brown and other legends. They give tours inside and still have an amateur night once a week.

^ I was just going to mention the subway station. The station is actually in Brooklyn, not NYC, so it might be out of your way a bit. I'm going to the Birthday party in Prospect Park on the 27th and I'll actually be getting off the subway at that station. I'll take pictures and post them on here for anyone who's interested. One of the scenes from The Wiz was filmed there as well. That specific area of the station was used at the time because it was abandoned and now it is inaccessible to visitors. You can get to the station by taking the A or C subway lines from Penn Station.

Obvious places:
- Hit Factory recording studio where HIStory sessions were held (it's closed now and not a studio anyymore, I think, but you can see the building).

Good points! How could I miss the Apollo theatre and the Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station? :doh:

TarinJade, I'm thinkg about going to the birthday party this year. It really depends on the weather. I'm not good with heat. If the weather on 8/27 is like the past few days, then I'll DEFINITELY go.

Thanks love is magical! I'll look up those places. People really perform his songs in the streets? That's so cool, I hope I run into that. And thank you, I plan to! I don't know when I'm going to go yet, still figuring that out, but I surely cannot wait! :)

Yes, people really perform to his songs in the streets. It depends on the group. Some groups also dance to his signature moves. I have seen several different groups perform to his songs in severel locations (Penn Station, Times Square, 5th Ave (near Rockefeller Center). And, they usually attrack big audience. I mean people can't help but stop when they hear Billie Jean, Beat It, WBSS and DSTYGE. There is a street crew that always perform outside of my office building. So, I see them all the time.

Whenever I hear his music blasting out loud on the streets, I smile. :yes:

TarinJade, I'm thinkg about going to the birthday party this year. It really depends on the weather. I'm not good with heat. If the weather on 8/27 is like the past few days, then I'll DEFINITELY go.

That would be wonderful if it wasn't too hot. I do know that there are a group of people planning a super-soaker water gun fight, so if it is hot I'll just cool off that way. :D

Obvious places:

Thank you so much. The subway station would be so cool to visit someday. If you can't tell, I don't travel much outside of my own city. ha.

^ I was just going to mention the subway station. The station is actually in Brooklyn, not NYC, so it might be out of your way a bit. I'm going to the Birthday party in Prospect Park on the 27th and I'll actually be getting off the subway at that station. I'll take pictures and post them on here for anyone who's interested. One of the scenes from The Wiz was filmed there as well. That specific area of the station was used at the time because it was abandoned and now it is inaccessible to visitors. You can get to the station by taking the A or C subway lines from Penn Station.

I'd love to see pictures. Thank you for the insight. :)

Back