Michael opens Nasdaq (2001)

:D I've never heard about this before...

Inviting Michael Jackson, the self-described King of Pop, to open the hi-tech Nasdaq stock market in New York yesterday drew the attention of passing crowds in Times Square but failed to add much fizz to the morning's trading.
Inviting Michael Jackson, the self-described King of Pop, to open the hi-tech Nasdaq stock market in New York yesterday drew the attention of passing crowds in Times Square but failed to add much fizz to trading.
Indeed, stocks ended the day at five-month lows, with Jackson, whose image was projected on the giant curving wall on the outside of the Nasdaq's mid-town headquarters, looking about as gloomy as most US investors feel. The Nasdaq Composite ended down 2.9 per cent while the blue chip Dow Jones fell below the key 10,000 mark, closing at 9,919.6, after the bellwether tech company Sun Microsystems warned of losses as Japanese and European sales failed to meet expectations amid sluggish economic growth.
The 18 per cent fall in Sun's stock, which was the heaviest trading on Nasdaq yesterday, overshadowed Jackson's appearance ahead of a new concert series starting in New York next week.
Normally, it is Nasdaq's arch rival, the New York Stock Exchange, that gets the attention. It tries every day to bring some personality or another to its balcony above the trading floor to ring the opening bell. Dick Grasso, the chairman of the Exchange, has even taken a lion on to the balcony to pep up the ceremony.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...market-opening-act-is-no-thriller-667566.html

What did the man on the right ask him at 1:57?

..."This is time square?" hahahahaaa

Last edited:
I have never seen this one before. Thank you for shearing. Yes, he looks disappointed in this video like he was going through some pain emotional or physical. This video makes me sad:(

Thanks for posting, well he looks his normal adorable self for me:wub:, but maybe he was just sleepy cause that suppouse to be early in the morning right???:cheeky:

I saw this LIVE in India on a major Business news channel! We, the fans had been informed before through fan sites and I was SUPREMELY excited about it, hoping that'd I'd get to see the footage on TV news since there was no utube then! Man! I was sooooo thrilled to see him LIVE on that CNBC channel that day!!! I had calculated that the opening bell would be struck at 9 am NYC and it will be around 7 pm India time but had no idea I'd get fortunate enough to actually catch it live on TV on another continent!

It was a day before or after Michael's birthday and he was presented with a cake and I vividly remember him eating the cake with a fork from a plate! Michael was in New York for his sold out 30th Anniversary special concerts in Sept 2001(I think they were on 9th and 10th Sept 2001!) He had already overshadowed the news everywhere with those upcoming, highly anticipated concerts and his presence at Nasdaq was very well received!

If he looks a bit quiet and tired to some its because there is a good reason for that! I so wanted to go hug him and thank him for his indomitable strength and committment, especially on that occasion because Mike had fractured his leg some months back and it was in a cast for a long time and the cast was cut just a few days before these to-be-performed MSG shows. I, like many other fans was worried how he'd be able to dance and perform, then he went down with a fever and only God knows how he managed to not only be present at both the concerts but also absolutely mesmerize the entire crowd of thousands with his absolutely mind-blowing, bedazzling, magical performances! That's the mark of a true, iconic, legendary genius!!! A hoard of stars like Britney, Beyonce, N'sync, Shaggy, Mya and others performed but NO ONE could come close to the sheer out of the world BRILLIANCE of the one and only King Michael Jackson!!!
The MSG concerts were aired quite a lot of times on TV in India and I'b be blown away each time!
So proud to be an MJ fan forever!!!Thankyou Michael...

Last edited:
:D I've never heard about this before...

Inviting Michael Jackson, the self-described King of Pop, to open the hi-tech Nasdaq stock market in New York yesterday drew the attention of passing crowds in Times Square but failed to add much fizz to the morning's trading.
Inviting Michael Jackson, the self-described King of Pop, to open the hi-tech Nasdaq stock market in New York yesterday drew the attention of passing crowds in Times Square but failed to add much fizz to trading.
Indeed, stocks ended the day at five-month lows, with Jackson, whose image was projected on the giant curving wall on the outside of the Nasdaq's mid-town headquarters, looking about as gloomy as most US investors feel. The Nasdaq Composite ended down 2.9 per cent while the blue chip Dow Jones fell below the key 10,000 mark, closing at 9,919.6, after the bellwether tech company Sun Microsystems warned of losses as Japanese and European sales failed to meet expectations amid sluggish economic growth.
The 18 per cent fall in Sun's stock, which was the heaviest trading on Nasdaq yesterday, overshadowed Jackson's appearance ahead of a new concert series starting in New York next week.
Normally, it is Nasdaq's arch rival, the New York Stock Exchange, that gets the attention. It tries every day to bring some personality or another to its balcony above the trading floor to ring the opening bell. Dick Grasso, the chairman of the Exchange, has even taken a lion on to the balcony to pep up the ceremony.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...market-opening-act-is-no-thriller-667566.html

..."This is time square?" hahahahaaa

Thanks for the article. 2001 seems like a lifetime ago sometimes.

LOL Michael asked the man "This is Times Square?" And the man said, "This is the new Times Square". I guess in 2001 Times Square's revitalization was pretty new. I can't remember much of anything from the past 15 years, heh.

What kills me is that at this time I was working one block away from the NASDAQ building.

I saw this LIVE in India on a major Business news channel. We, the fans had been informed before through fan sites and I was SUPREMELY excited about it, hoping that'd I'd get to see the footage on TV news since there was no utube then! Man! I I was sooooo thrilled to see him LIVE on that CNBC channel that day!!! I had calculated that the opening bell would be struck at 9 am NYC and it will be around 7 pm India time but had no idea i'd get fortunated enough to catch it live!

It was a day before or after Michael's birthday and he was presented with a cake and I vividly remember him eating the cake with a fork from a plate! Michael was in New York for his sold out 3oth Anniversary special concerts! He had already overshadowed the news everywhere with those upcoming, highly anticipated concerts and his presence at Nasdaq was very well received!

Mike had fractured his leg and it was in a cast for a long time and was cut just a few days before the show. I, like many other fans was worried how he'd be able to dance and perform, then he went down with a fever and only Gods knows how he managed to not only be present at both the concerts but also absolutely mesmerize the entire crowd of thousands with his absolutely mind-blowing, bedazzling, magical performances! A hoard of stars like Britney, Beyonce, N'sync, shaggy, Mya and others performed but NO ONE could come close to the sheer out of the world BRILLIANCE of the one and only King Michael Jackson!!!
The MSG concerts were aired quite a lot of times on TV in India and I'b be blown away each time!
So proud to be an MJ fan forever!!!

Thanks! This puts the NASDAQ event into a better context for me. So all of this surrounded the MSG concerts and the release of Invincible. Geez, why can't I remember all this? I only remember the CD signing in Times Square and I even contemplated going but was too lazy and didn't want to bother with the massive crowds and long lines. Darn I wish I had gone now. :(

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1448549/20010830/jackson_michael.jhtml

Michael Jackson Eats Cake, Expresses Love For NASDAQ Execs At Market Opening Singer receives poster of Shirley Temple for his birthday, takes pictures with NASDAQ staffers.

NEW YORK — Michael Jackson celebrated his 43rd birthday — one day late — by presiding over the NASDAQ market opening ceremony in Times Square on Thursday morning (August 30). The appearance was also meant to kick off the promotional campaign for his new single ("You Rock My World"), new album (Invincible) and upcoming Madison Square Garden concerts on September 7 and 10.

The underlying message — that pop music is big business — is no secret, though it's rare for pop stars to embrace the stock market this openly, Bowie bonds notwithstanding. It's even rarer still for Jackson to appear in public. His last (unannounced) appearance was onstage with Jay-Z in June, and prior to that, at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in March.

Many fans from around the world planning to attend the "Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration, The Solo Years" concerts flew into New York early to witness this appearance, some carrying banners about their respective countries, others wearing hand-painted T-shirts with slogans like, "Hug Me Michael." Some 500 fans crowded around the seven-story MarketSite building, which flashed pictures of Jackson on its nine plasma screens, which framed the broadcast studio facing the street, as well as on the MarketSite Tower's video wall.

A few minutes before the market's 9:30 a.m. opening, Jackson walked in as cheering fans crowded around the glass walls and windows of the lower level for a better look. Wearing a black suit, blue armband and striped dark shirt, Jackson waved and blew kisses to the fans outside as he was introduced to NASDAQ's executive vice president, David Weild, and NASDAQ CEO Wick Simmons, who presented him with a glass trophy.

"It's like floating in the air," Jackson said of an object encased in the trophy.

"Well, you're floating," Simmons told him, "right now, out there, in Times Square, on the big billboard that's up out there. You are floating so that everyone can see you."

"This is Times Square?" Jackson asked. "Oh ..."

"This is the new Times Square," Simmons said.

Simmons then explained to Jackson how and when to push the button that would light up the NASDAQ screens, the symbolic opening of the share-trading exchange. They counted down and at precisely 9:30 a.m., Jackson pushed the button to open the market. NASDAQ officials then presented Jackson with a 1934 Shirley Temple poster, while staffers rolled out a vanilla birthday cake lined with strawberries and sang "Happy Birthday."

"I love it, oh my god," Jackson said when handed the poster. Jackson blew out the candles, then added, "I'm deeply moved by this very special moment for me. Thank you, David, Wick and NASDAQ. Thank you so much. I love you and all the fans. Thank you."

Jackson attempted to leave, but NASDAQ staffers re-directed him back into the broadcast studio, where he got a brief tour as he fiddled with sunglasses in his pocket. He then got a piece of the birthday cake, which he took one bite of as staffers asked him questions and posed for pictures with him, including one woman with a baby. Though it's not clear if he remained in the building or immediately left, his official visit — as far as what could be viewed by the public — lasted about 10 minutes. A few minutes after he disappeared from view, fans outside the building chased after a black Ford Expedition, which had someone in the back seat covered up by a blanket. Whether it was Jackson or not was not known.

Jackson is the first pop music figure of note to officiate NASDAQ's opening, according to the exchange's spokesperson. NASDAQ makes a practice of inviting celebrities to preside over the market's opening, from heads of state to star athletes, but prior to Jackson, the biggest name from music to do so was Crystal Bernard, who did so on July 5. Jackson was picked, Weild said in a statement, because of his "extraordinary vision and commitment to excellence in the entertainment industry."

Jan said:

"Is John Branca here with you today?"
"No, he's in LA but he will be."

Reactions: Jan
Thank you for posting it:) Although, I've seen and knew this before';)
"He's bad, he's back" - I remember the same words being displayed on the news strip, while he was announcing "This Is It" concert series. :(

I saw this LIVE in India on a major Business news channel! We, the fans had been informed before through fan sites and I was SUPREMELY excited about it, hoping that'd I'd get to see the footage on TV news since there was no utube then! Man! I was sooooo thrilled to see him LIVE on that CNBC channel that day!!! I had calculated that the opening bell would be struck at 9 am NYC and it will be around 7 pm India time but had no idea I'd get fortunate enough to actually catch it live on TV on another continent!

It was a day before or after Michael's birthday and he was presented with a cake and I vividly remember him eating the cake with a fork from a plate! Michael was in New York for his sold out 30th Anniversary special concerts in Sept 2001(I think they were on 9th and 10th Sept 2001!) He had already overshadowed the news everywhere with those upcoming, highly anticipated concerts and his presence at Nasdaq was very well received!

If he looks a bit quiet and tired to some its because there is a good reason for that! I so wanted to go hug him and thank him for his indomitable strength and committment, especially on that ocasion because Mike had fractured his leg some months back and it was in a cast for a long time and was cut just a few days before these to-be-performed MSG shows. I, like many other fans was worried how he'd be able to dance and perform, then he went down with a fever and only God knows how he managed to not only be present at both the concerts but also absolutely mesmerize the entire crowd of thousands with his absolutely mind-blowing, bedazzling, magical performances! That's the mark of a true, iconic, legendary genius!!! A hoard of stars like Britney, Beyonce, N'sync, Shaggy, Mya and others performed but NO ONE could come close to the sheer out of the world BRILLIANCE of the one and only King Michael Jackson!!!

Thank you for the information regarding this event as always Michael handles himself gracefully...he is an amazing man!!

I remember watching this on the CNN- Tv- not live but at the same day,, the world has changed alot since that time...especially Michael's world :(

If he looks a bit quiet and tired to some its because there is a good reason for that! I so wanted to go hug him and thank him for his indomitable strength and committment, especially on that occasion because Mike had fractured his leg some months back and it was in a cast for a long time and the cast was cut just a few days before these to-be-performed MSG shows. I, like many other fans was worried how he'd be able to dance and perform, then he went down with a fever and only God knows how he managed to not only be present at both the concerts but also absolutely mesmerize the entire crowd of thousands with his absolutely mind-blowing, bedazzling, magical performances! That's the mark of a true, iconic, legendary genius!!! A hoard of stars like Britney, Beyonce, N'sync, Shaggy, Mya and others performed but NO ONE could come close to the sheer out of the world BRILLIANCE of the one and only King Michael Jackson!!!

I can't begin to thank you enough for this information. I absolutely love the MSG concert..it's one of my fav shows. It never fails to fill my heart with joy to see Michael receiving the adulation that he so richly deserves from his fans and friends. And to know that he was in pain at this time but STILL performed brilliantly....words quite simply fail me!!

What a True Superstar!!!

I love you Michael XXXXX

His hair doesn't look like the Invincible era. It's much longer than it was most 2001-2002.

Looks great though.

I can't begin to thank you enough for this information. I absolutely love the MSG concert..it's one of my fav shows. It never fails to fill my heart with joy to see Michael receiving the adulation that he so richly deserves from his fans and friends. And to know that he was in pain at this time but STILL performed brilliantly....words quite simply fail me!!

What a True Superstar!!!

I love you Michael XXXXX

You're so welcome :flowers: It's forever an honour and my calling to spread the word about the true Greatness and Goodness of the Greatest artist and human being ever who continues to be our greatest inspiration...Love you with all my heart Michael...for all time...

Back