Michael Liked Poison - "Talk Dirty To Me"

GreenEyes

Proud Member
He thought Michael was really cool!

You can hear Rikki talk about Michael on the audio here: (You get more from it by listening to him) https://soundcloud.com/stuck-and-gu...r-rikki-rockett-green-beret-jay-stokes#t=7:49

-------------------------------

RIKKI ROCKETT Says MICHAEL JACKSON Liked POISON's 'Talk Dirty To Me' Video

September 11, 2014

During a recent appearance on the "Stuck And Gunner" show, POISON and DEVIL CITY ANGELS drummer Rikki Rockett was asked which person he was most excited to meet over the course of his three-decade career as a professional musician.

"I actually met [pop superstar] Michael Jackson at a wedding reception," Rikki replied (hear audio below). "And every preconceived notion that people have about Michael, to me, it just wasn't that way at all. He was really cool, he liked [POISON's] 'Talk Dirty To Me' video; he was very complimentary, very nice. He was fighting with his girlfriend that night [and was] a little irritable. I don't know if he got whacked and weird later — maybe he did — but at that time, and this was probably, I'd say, mid-'90s, something like that, he was very cool. Very, very cool…"

He continued: "That's why when some of these other artists that say, 'Ah, POISON sucks.' Or this or that. It's, like, Michael Jackson was complimentary, David Bowie was complimentary.. I mean, after that, I just don't care. [Laughs] You get some guy on the Internet that goes, 'I've played drums for 15 years and you suck.' [And I'm , like], [dismissively] 'Okay.'"

In addition to Rockett, DEVIL CITY ANGELS features in its ranks former L.A. GUNS guitarist Tracii Guns, bassist Eric Brittingham (CINDERELLA), and vocalist/rhythm guitarist Brandon Gibbs (CHEAP THRILL).

POISON last toured the U.S. in 2012 as part of the "Rock Of Ages" package with DEF LEPPARD and LITA FORD.

The last POISON album was 2007's covers set "Poison'd!", while the band's last collection of new, original music was 2002's "Hollyweird".

To celebrate POISON's 25th anniversary, 35 of the multi-platinum band's top hits and fan favorites were gathered for "Double Dose Of Poison: Ultimate Hits", a career-spanning 2CD and digital collection which was released in May 2011 by Capitol/EMI.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ri...jackson-liked-poisons-talk-dirty-to-me-video/

well this was a very nick thing to say about michael, but he kind of ruined it with the "maybe he got whacked and wired later, I don't know statement". why did he have to throw that in there? anyway nick to hear something positive said about michael.

hmmmm michael must have been fighting with lisa.lol.

I've come to find that its not "socially normal" to say that MJ was a cool/nice person without playing into the notions of the "loud majority"in some shape or form, lest you get categorized as weird too, along with MJ. People just can't help but play into that.

Yeah I agree with both of you about the weird comment. When I reached that point I thought "oh oh he had to become mainstream." Oh well.....

I got the impression he was suggesting that Michael was never weird given how he indicates how late it was in his life that he met him.

'maybe he did but when I met him in his mid 30s he was fine' (paraphrasing) - as in WAY after the public/media had come to decide he was.

^^Yes he is saying that when he met him he was different from the way the media portrayed him, but as others said above, he spoiled all that and said maybe he got weird afterwards. Therefore, he still gave a nod to those who see Michael as weird. He wanted it both ways, to appease those who don't see Michael as weird and to also appease those who do. Oh well it is what it is. At least he admires the man.

I'm not surprised he liked Talk Dirty To Me. If you take it for what it is then it's a good and fun song, nothing more and nothing less.
My friends and I used to listen to at parties sometimes because we found it and the whole glam metal scene hilarious. You can't really take it seriously, but you can have fun with it.

I think what he wanted to say but kinda failed was he only met Michael once very briefly and he was normal and cool but he doesn't know if he changed afterwards or not.

"Talk Dirty To Me" was released in 1986, so maybe it was Berry Gordy's wedding, in Santa Barbara in 1990. Maybe it was Brooke Sheilds. They were dating during this time period. Santa Barbara is close enough to Los Angeles, where plenty of celebrities live. Brooke wasn't as well known by 1990, so maybe that's why the girlfriend's name isn't mentioned.

Isn't it obvious this guy is looking for cheap publicity? Just mention Michael Jackson's name and viola instant publicity.

Brooke wasn't as well known by 1990, so maybe that's why the girlfriend's name isn't mentioned.

I would say she was wellknown from movies like pretty baby and blue lagoon in late 70s maybe beginning of 80s
.The movies were much talked about.
Around that time she also became famous for the ad "You want to know what comes between me and my Calvins? Nothing.

I remember back in mid July of 1980 having this discussion with Jane Fonda about how many times I had gone to see the movie, "Blue Lagoon." Jane really enjoyed "Fame," but I had not seen the movie at this time.

Ick, I don't like Poison at ALL, lol! Listening to Van Halen with Hagar was a better choice at that time imo (and that says a lot, due to the fact that I'm a diehard David Lee Roth w/ VH fan).

Back