Michael Joe or Michael Joseph?

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
So I always thought MJs full name was Michael Joseph Jackson. Turns out I was wrong but Michael's legal name is Michael Joe Jackson. His drivers license and contracts are signed 'Joe'. How is it I always thought it was 'Joseph'?

Guess someone needs to update wiki.....again!

Ive found this video which is interesting but I dont think there are 2 Michael's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE4wtsO0qYk&NR=1

Obviously Joe is short for Joseph but in all legal situations, MJ signs JOE. Its officially Joe not Joseph.

i always thought it was joseph like his father. i think i've seen documents that have said joe and joseph.

on the death certificate it's Joseph,so this is the birth name too...the rest are shortcuts.

prince's aka michael jr middle name is joseph. seems strange that something so offical as a passport would say joe if it was legally joseph.end of day doesnt really matter joe is short for joseph so...

It is confusing as in different legal situations he used both Joe and Joseph. His will and death certificate state Joseph though.

In the book "Michael Jackson Treasures" there is a reproduction of MJ & LMP wedding certificate and the name is Joseph. If it would have been Joe then MJ would have been a single man... :lol: ... just kidding ;) Then in anothe copies of MJ's kids birth certificate the name of the kids father is Michael JOSEPH Jackson.

Two questions:
- how is it so easy to have access to that kind of documents in the USA?
- can you use either names? Joe/Joseph ?

Answer to those questions in my country is NO.

Lots of people here call themselves Mike when their real name is Michael. Some names automatically have short nicknames. Joseph is one of them. Everyone calls his father Joe when his name is Joseph.

i thought once our birth cert state certain name, it will forever be the official name of ours and we'll continue to use those names in any legal documents. the short form of it usually used commercially or in leisure. how can different names be used for official documentations to refer the same person is acceptable by the government?

i thought once our birth cert state certain name, it will forever be the official name of ours and we'll continue to use those names in any legal documents. the short form of it usually used commercially or in leisure. how can different names be used for official documentations to refer the same person is acceptable by the government?

i guess cause it was MJ that he got away with it? u know who he is so they werent that bothered. but yeah all offical docs should contain what it says on the birth certificate

In the United States, the middle initial or a religious initial or shorter dirivitive of the middle name can be used to replace a middle name even if the name is not printed on a birth certificate. It is sometimes used in place of the middle name on identity documents, passports, driver licenses, social security cards, university diplomas, and other official documents. Examples of this form include George W. Bush and John D. Rockefeller.

Instead us using his initial Michael used a short dirivitive of the name Joseph (Joe) instead of (J.)
It is legal _ there are usually witness signatures on documents that can verify the identity of the
person signing _ plus the actual signature is used for identification

It is legal

In the United States, the middle initial or a religious initial or shorter dirivitive of the middle name can be used to replace a middle name even if the name is not printed on a birth certificate. It is sometimes used in place of the middle name on identity documents, passports, driver licenses, social security cards, university diplomas, and other official documents. Examples of this form include George W. Bush and John D. Rockefeller.

Instead us using his initial Michael used a short dirivitive of the name Joseph (Joe) instead of (J.)
It is legal _ there are usually witness signatures on documents that can verify the identity of the

It is legal
guess case is solved then lol the middle's Joseph and he used Joe sometimes. Thx.

In the United states you can use a Middle initial
or short dirivitive of your MIDDLE name on legal documents

Michael Joseph
Michael J
or Michel Joe
are all legal

It is legal

Qbee is that just for the documents like the ones you stated?

The trial documents said Michael Joe Jackson, I would have thought you'd have to put the full legal name on these.

Lots of people here call themselves Mike when their real name is Michael. Some names automatically have short nicknames. Joseph is one of them. Everyone calls his father Joe when his name is Joseph.
Obviously, but we are talking about official documents.

edit: just seen the other post qbee made whilst i was writing. thanks.

Last edited:
In the United states you can use a Middle initial
or short dirivitive of your MIDDLE name on legal documents

Michael Joseph
Michael J
or Michel Joe
are all legal

question answered then. thanks

Case closed lol :)

Thanx guys. I love how MJ fans can always nut out an answer.

It is legal
That makes perfect sense to me, cause if we can use initials only then we should be able to use the shortened name as well. Thanks.

Back