Michael Jackson's This Is It - Overdubbed Vocals

The MJJ Library

7even's HIStory Corner
Hello, I was doing research on overdubbed vocals for This Is It, we know that the vocals in the movie have been edited or replaced with previously recorded album/demo versions of the performed songs, but can someone make a good list of the which songs were dubbed and which songs were edited/autotuned?

Jam, TDCAU both use mostly the album vocal track
Billie Jean contains a lot of an unreleased Billie Jean demo
Beat It allegedly uses the Toronto 84 vocal track - it sounds very similar but I'm not sure on that one
Earth Song uses a bit of the album vocal track but heavily uses the demo vocal for the last part

Theres probably more

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin - live vocals from the rehearsals, most likely only from the orange pants day.
Jam - overdubbed with original studio vocals
They Don't Care About Us - overdubbed with original studio vocals
Human Nature - live vocals from the rehearsals
Smooth Criminal - contains a good amount of live vocals but is also partially overdubbed with original studio vocals.
First verse and pre-chorus are overdubbed with studio vocals, the second verse is also overdubbed with studio vocals but contains some live vocals on the end of the phrases:
"So they came in to the outway
It was Sunday
, what a black day
Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation
Sounding heartbeats,
intimidation."
The rest is live.
The Way You Make Me Feel - the slow intro has live vocals from the orange pants rehearsal day, the rest was overdubbed with studio vocals which were pitched down in order to correspond with the lower key of the song. At the end, the live ad-libs are from June 23rd.
J5 Medley - live vocals from the rehearsals, mainly June 23rd.
I Just Can't Stop Loving You - live vocals from the rehearsals
Thriller - overdubbed with original studio vocals.
Beat It - overdubbed with vocals from the Victory Tour.
Black or White - live vocals from June 23rd, the "I'm tired of this devil..." portion may or may not be live since it is sung very clean, yet his microphone seems to move around a lot, so that one may also be overdubbed - with what, would be the question. It doesn't sound like studio or demo vocals. It may also just be live vocals which were mixed very well.
Earth Song - overdubbed with original studio and demo vocals.
Billie Jean - overdubbed with demo vocals but contains some live ad-libs near the end of the song.
Man In The Mirror - overdubbed with original studio vocals but contains some live ad-libs near the end of the song.

Thread for this already here.

Last edited:
Oof... I really don't think it's worth trying to catalog this. The whole movie is a masterclass of editing. It's a 2-hour deepfake. Every line is from a different origin, sometimes each word is from a different performance.

Reactions: kai
Oof... I really don't think it's worth trying to catalog this. The whole movie is a masterclass of editing. It's a 2-hour deepfake. Every line is from a different origin, sometimes each word is from a different performance.
How'd you know it was that deep?

Back