Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' movie boasts new dance moves

platinumpapi

Proud Member
"Michael Jackson's This Is It" rehearsal footage film opens a less than a week from now, but it's biggest curators and those closest to its creation can't wait to surprise the pop star's fans.

Longtime MJ collaborator, friend and choreographer of the "This Is It" live event Travis Payne confirmed that a new music and dance number, dubbed "Drill," was originally included in the original imagining of the concert and will appear in the film. View a portion of the scene below.

"Michael was a fan of the military," Payne said in a press conference today (Oct. 22) in New York. Seventy people were in the crew for what would be a 50-date production at London's O2 arena this summer, including 11 dancers, two aerialists, eight band members, four backup singers, a 25-person choir, loads of drummers and even puppeteers -- and Jackson wanted the "best military" he could muster, Payne recalled.

Movie-goers who watch "This Is It" may also notice camera crew in the film who are shooting with special cameras, for 3-D, which were part of another film project. "Thriller," "Man in the Mirror" and "Earth Song" were and are all getting a makeover, said director Kenny Ortega -- from the dance moves to the costumes. The release for this series of clips were not given an ETA.

However, for those who were blacked out of buying tickets for "This Is It" in the theaters -- which runs for two weeks only starting Oct. 28 -- a DVD version of the film will be coming out next year. "They might do an enhanced or a bigger version of ['This Is It'] one day, but the DVD that's coming out has tremendous, weighty, additional footage. I've seen it and it's powerful and emotional and moving and fantastic. I would hope that does the trick, personally."

Around 80 hours of footage of the "This Is It" concert was shot, Ortega said. "Part of it was behind the scenes extensive interviews with everybody and part of it was the cameras that were capturing rehearsals that were being used for Michael and my reference that we could go back and use as a tool to learn by."

As for all in attendance at the press event, including "This Is It" musical director Michael Bearden, it seemed all thought Jackson was capable of pulling off the 50 dates in front of him. In fact, said Bearden, "he wanted to do more than 50," and even mentioned he was considering a two or three year run of concerts.

What was frequently mentioned, too, was the King of Pop's passion for the environment and for positive thinking, of "healing the world." The "This Is It" concert event was not only going to be Jackson's curtain call, but represented what could be a turning point for audiences, to go out and make a positive impact on society after seeing the show.

"He was a father, he was more passionate about things in his life, like all the things that sound corny to people, like love, peace, how we treat people... like the earth, like 'if we don't reverse this thing with global warming'... he was the kindest and gentlest artist I ever worked with," Bearden said. "He'd actually say please and thank you."

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-10-22-michael-jackson-s-this-is-it-boasts-new-moves-music

However, for those who were blacked out of buying tickets for "This Is It" in the theaters -- which runs for two weeks only starting Oct. 28 -- a DVD version of the film will be coming out next year. "They might do an enhanced or a bigger version of ['This Is It'] one day, but the DVD that's coming out has tremendous, weighty, additional footage. I've seen it and it's powerful and emotional and moving and fantastic. I would hope that does the trick, personally."

Another article further perpetuating the myth that the film is sold out! There are plenty of tickets available!

The reason the ticket is not sold out is not because ppl. arent buying it, its because they made more than enough tickets for everyone to be able to see...AND It said the DVD Is comming out next year?...ummm...I thought it was comming out by Christmas or even b4 that...

Thanks for this!

Love,
Romi

The reason the ticket is not sold out is not because ppl. arent buying it, its because they made more than enough tickets for everyone to be able to see...AND It said the DVD Is comming out next year?...ummm...I thought it was comming out by Christmas or even b4 that...

Thanks for this!

Love,
Romi

yeah that's what i thought. it'd make sense to push the dvd back though and release with an album of new material

That was a good interview, I also look forward for the extra footage on the DVD/BD

As for all in attendance at the press event, including "This Is It" musical director Michael Bearden, it seemed all thought Jackson was capable of pulling off the 50 dates in front of him. In fact, said Bearden, "he wanted to do more than 50," and even mentioned he was considering a two or three year run of concerts.
I heard Kenny Ortega say that MJ wanted to take the show to Asia and possibly the United States.

I dunno - but it doesn't sound like MJ didn't want to do these shows.

Think about it, if you make a show this big, with all the wonderful effects & technology & dancing - it just doesn't make sense for MJ to want to do just 1 run. He wouldn't.

MJ would want the fans all over the world to see.

Only 80 hours.....I thought over 100 hours..

DVD Release next year....why is Kenny in interviews always talking about a release before christmas...very confusing

"Michael Jackson's This Is It" rehearsal footage film opens a less than a week from now, but it's biggest curators and those closest to its creation can't wait to surprise the pop star's fans.

Longtime MJ collaborator, friend and choreographer of the "This Is It" live event Travis Payne confirmed that a new music and dance number, dubbed "Drill," was originally included in the original imagining of the concert and will appear in the film. View a portion of the scene below.

"Michael was a fan of the military," Payne said in a press conference today (Oct. 22) in New York. Seventy people were in the crew for what would be a 50-date production at London's O2 arena this summer, including 11 dancers, two aerialists, eight band members, four backup singers, a 25-person choir, loads of drummers and even puppeteers -- and Jackson wanted the "best military" he could muster, Payne recalled.

Movie-goers who watch "This Is It" may also notice camera crew in the film who are shooting with special cameras, for 3-D, which were part of another film project. "Thriller," "Man in the Mirror" and "Earth Song" were and are all getting a makeover, said director Kenny Ortega -- from the dance moves to the costumes. The release for this series of clips were not given an ETA.

Around 80 hours of footage of the "This Is It" concert was shot, Ortega said. "Part of it was behind the scenes extensive interviews with everybody and part of it was the cameras that were capturing rehearsals that were being used for Michael and my reference that we could go back and use as a tool to learn by."

What was frequently mentioned, too, was the King of Pop's passion for the environment and for positive thinking, of "healing the world." The "This Is It" concert event was not only going to be Jackson's curtain call, but represented what could be a turning point for audiences, to go out and make a positive impact on society after seeing the show.

"He was a father, he was more passionate about things in his life, like all the things that sound corny to people, like love, peace, how we treat people... like the earth, like 'if we don't reverse this thing with global warming'... he was the kindest and gentlest artist I ever worked with," Bearden said. "He'd actually say please and thank you."

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-10-22-michael-jackson-s-this-is-it-boasts-new-moves-music
Thanks, though i wanted the dvd sooner, for Christmass time... it was going to be chritsmass with Mike that way, now it will be the first christmass without him... sorry, im melancholic today.:dropdead:

I saw one report where they said that Michael had created a new moonwalk. I also saw a report where Michael used an illusionist to make a ball leave his hand and create the illusion that it was floating throughout the audience. I also heard there were going to be animals on stage.

This was going to be a fantastic show.

"Michael was a fan of the military," Payne said

Poorly stated, Payne! (Or perhaps he was misquoted). Michael's message was consistently anti-war, while always respecting the individuals in the military. While he adopted military style for dramatic purposes, I doubt he'd he'd be keen on being summed up as "a fan of the military."

Ah, this is good to hear, it means he was happier than many thought.

"He was a father, he was more passionate about things in his life, like all the things that sound corny to people, like love, peace, how we treat people... like the earth, like 'if we don't reverse this thing with global warming'

I surely, surely hope this aspect makes it into the film. What a fine legacy that would be.

Thanks for posting!

Back