Michael Jackson's Stylist Rushka Bergman: "The King of Pop" Costume Exhibition

bluesky

Proud Member
2011-10-14-mj13.jpg

As I reluctantly pulled myself out of bed the other morning, plopped down at the computer and slowly began slipping into my morning routine, I was struck by the trending topic everywhere I clicked -- Michael Jackson. I immediately felt a pang of discomfort as I was sure this trending had something to do with either Dr. Conrad Murray's trial and/or the controversial Jackson Family Tribute Concert recently held in England. But imagine my happy surprise as I clicked on the topic du jour and the first images that popped up were of Vogue editor Rushka Bergman and The King of Pop.
Well, it turns out while Mister GoLightly was out and about in the city that never sleeps, faithfulAmerica's Next Top Model fans were being treated to a trilogy of fabulousness, "The Kardashians, The Jacksons and La Rushka Bergman." Give me a moment while I collect myself from the thought of all this fabulosity in one place. Personally, I stopped watching Top Model after the outrageous and outspoken Miss Jay was removed from the judges' panel, but clearly from all of this morning and last night's online chatter, ANTM has life left in it yet. So as I sat in my chair, sipping a hot, steaming cup of regret, it suddenly dawned on me that I possessed something that 99.9 percent of the viewers of ANTM could only dream of -- Ms. Bergman's mobile number.
So, before my brain could catch up with my index finger, there I was, feverishly dialing one of the most genius and brilliant, not to mention busiest, fashion editors in the world hoping she would spare five minutes for an impromptu interview.
2011-10-14-rushkalatoya.jpg

If any of you guys were tuned in the other evening, I am sure you can imagine that Rushka has a way of answering the telephone like no one else: "Hello daarrrllliiinnnggg -- It's Rrrrrrushka. Rrrrrrushka Bergman." I must admit, I'm always just a little tickled everytime I hear her sparkling voice accompanied by her dramatic accent. She is a total character -- a sort of Diana Vreeland meets Arianna Huffington. Smart, sassy, sophisticated, worldly, confident -- the list goes on and on. Rushka truly possesses all those magical qualities that one wishes for in a person that lives, breaths and worships fashion.
No matter what the topic, one is always struck by her honesty and compassion for her fellow creatives as well as the creative process. So there we were, all connected, with me dying to get her opinion on her latest television appearance on ANTM. But before I could get a word in edgewise, between the darlings, sweeties, and divines -- Ms. Bergman had invited yours truly to drop everything and meet her for an early lunch. Now, to the average fashion enthusiast, this might not seem like a big deal, but in my world this is like being granted an audience with the Pope, or at least the High Priestess of Chic. So I quickly rearranged my schedule, got myself all spruced up and off I went "lightly" into Gotham City to break bread with the fabulous Rushka Bergman.
Let me tell you, to walk down the city streets with Ms. Bergman of Italian Vogue is absolutely priceless. Everyone is staring at her -- but she is staring only at you. Rushka is like a walking encyclopedia of all things cool, next level and fine art. I don't even think she actually uses the word fashion in her vocabulary -- it's simply a given that it is at the epicenter of her universe. So imagine my shock once we had been seated for only a few minutes before she began explaining and sharing with me her top secret plans on her next big project. At one point I had to survey the lavish Italian restaurant to make sure I wasn't being punk'd. Once I realized it was all on the up-and-up, I immediately begged her to let me share this new information with my readers. At first my proposition was met with gracious and elegant resistance --but slowly I could see the catharsis taking place. I've had the unique pleasure in my career of working with some amazing artists, activists as well as revolutionaries, and there is always a point in the process when true visionaries realize that a project, idea or concept -- is much bigger than anything they could have ever envisioned. So imagine hearing these words come out of Rushka Bergman's own mouth -- Michael Jackson's Costume Exhibition.
2011-10-14-RushkaBergman2Portrait.jpg

I can't contain myself -- I'm still swooning over this revelation. A Michael Jackson Costume Exhibit curated by his personal stylist, confidant and friend -- Rushka Bergman. It's almost too brilliant and genius for Mister GoLightly to comprehend.
It turns out that Ms. Bergman has been quietly working on this project for several years and has been holding it very close to her vest as well as her heart. I even got the feeling that perhaps Rushka and Michael may have been secretly planning this exhibition well before his passing. I will admit, at a certain point I became a bit teary-eyed as I listened to her explain the visual symphony of such an undertaking; the costumes, the designers, the archives, the music, the beads, the GLOVE. With everything she was planning and envisioning, one thing struck me -- there was never a mention of money, budget, fame or profit. This is so rare these days, as whenever you normally hear the name Michael Jackson it is always followed by the proverbial sound of "kerching-kerching!" As Ms. Bergman continued to describe her daunting plans in her harmonic English meets Italian meets Serbian vernacular, I found myself once again covered in goose bumps. I knew that not only was I privy to listening to the beginning stages of perhaps one of the greatest costume exhibits of our life time, but I was also bearing witness to a true labor of love.
As our lunch date came to an end and I was forced to go back to my reality of subways, sirens and Gotham -- I couldn't help but look back at Rushka's smiling and satisfied face and think to myself, "Michael Jackson is somewhere smiling down on his dear friend and giving her his blessing."
Now that I'm back home, safe and sound, let me see if I can dig up the number to Harold Koda, Curator of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I know I must have it somewhere (because I keep track of these things)... If Mr. Koda thinks he had a record breaker with Alexander McQueen's Savage Beauty -- just wait until Micheal Jackson -- THE KING OF POP hits the hallowed halls of the MET!
Photos courtesy of Rushka Bergman Studios.
ANTM photo (center) courtesy of the CW.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/malcolm-harris/michael-jacksons-stylist-_b_1010843.html

I found myself once again covered in goose bumps. I knew that not only was I privy to listening to the beginning stages of perhaps one of the greatest costume exhibits of our life time, but I was also bearing witness to a true labor of love....

Micheal Jackson -- THE KING OF POP hits the hallowed halls of Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

This is very exciting to me _ I want the whole world to honor Michael in every way possible
To be able see his costumes in an art musem makes me so happy and bring tears to my eyes ( I know Im corny)

OMG!! my dream coming true... I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!

I hope this happens next year......Rushka would do an amazing job. She loves & respect MJ.

Rushka sounds cool, and it's great that Michael is being paid tribute through a costume exhibit.

Hmmmm....I wonder who she plans on working with? Does she have any of Michael's outfits at all?
I'll reserve judgement til we hear more...

Rushka would do an amazing job with this and I always though her relationship with Michael was so sweet.

myosotis;3512081 said:
Hmmmm....I wonder who she plans on working with? Does she have any of Michael's outfits at all?
I'll reserve judgement til we hear more...

I´m wondering too now. What did she design for him? From what I know she only styled him.

Bush and Co talked about how his clothes belongs in a museum, so why do they wait? They don´t want to work with the estate or what?

Moody Some of his clothes are already in a museum. I have seen them, although so much of his things have been sold, one wonders what is left. This sounds as a good project, if it is done correctly. I wonder if she would team up with Bush, since he made clothes for Michael for years.

moodyblue97;3512211 said:
I´m wondering too now. What did she design for him? From what I know she only styled him.

Bush and Co talked about how his clothes belongs in a museum, so why do they wait? They don´t want to work with the estate or what?

Well, I hope she doesn't bring Bush & co on board.

Best would be for her to get clothes from the estate. Bush & co don't own the clothes they designed for MJ...MJ did. Unless he gifted them the clothes..as we've seen with the Thriller jacket, they care more about getting $$$ than protecting these artefacts.

I believe MJ still own lots of his costumes...because he had planned to open a museum.

Moody Some of his clothes are already in a museum. I have seen them, although so much of his things have been sold, one wonders what is left. This sounds as a good project, if it is done correctly. I wonder if she would team up with Bush, since he made clothes for Michael for years.

Yes, I've seen many of them too, Grammy's for an example. Estate owns a lot of his clothes. And it seem a lot of his stage clothes are still with Bush.
Whatever we think of Bush, he did a good job through the years, giving Michael what he wanted, giving him his own style. How he looked throughout the three big world tours, all the videos and trial. Amazing.

Yes, I've seen many of them too, Grammy's for an example. Estate owns a lot of his clothes. And it seem a lot of his stage clothes are still with Bush.
Whatever we think of Bush, he did a good job through the years, giving Michael what he wanted, giving him his own style. How he looked throughout the three big world tours, all the videos and trial. Amazing.

I don't believe this to be the case. When you pay a designer to create a piece for you, you paid for their services, but the clothes are yours.

MJ paid Bush & Tompkins to create his clothes, they do not by default own them. Unless MJ gifted them, his estate owns them. We have seen quite a few pieces at the London Exhibit and some of the iconic pieces are to loan at the grammy museum.

Bush & co are useless..and Bergman could pull this off if she gets the right people on board.

Exactly! We might not like Michael Bush auctioned out one of the Thriller jackets. But, we still cannot ignore the fact that Bush & Tomplins created clothes for Michael, helped Michael to create his own unique style and dressed him for DECADES. Bush was there with Michael throughout BAD, Dangerous and HIStory tours. All those styles are iconic.

The leather jacket and buckles in the BAD era.

The white suit and fedora in Smooth Criminal.

The blue shirt in TWYMMF.

The outfit that is inspired by fencing attire in the Dangerous Tour.

The gold jumpsuit in the HIStory Tour.

Michael Bush had inputs in all of the above. Furthermore, Michael Bush created all the suits that Michael wore during the 2005 trial. He helped dressing him every morning of the darkest chapter of Michael's life. I don't understand how a Michael Jackson Costume Exhibition can be complete without getting Bush and Tompkins on board. Rushka Bergman styled Michael in 2007 for the Vouge photo shoot and thereafter. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the way Michael looked in Balmain. The jackets he wore during the TII rehearsals are to-die-for. Rushka did a great job; but, the style is not the level of works Michael Bush created with Michael throughout Michael's career.

If we want to get a meaningful study of Michael's costume, I believe it's necessary to seek inputs from Bush & Tompkins. I cannot discredit Michael Bush's contributions just becasue I disagree with certain of his recent actions. A sophisticated exhibition is much more than displaying a piece of clothing in a museum setting. It'll be much more inspiring and interesting if they include the backgrounds and stories of each piece. Michael Bush is a great source for all these details.

The BAD jacket wasn't created by Michael Bush..MJ found it in a store in Santa Monica, if I remember correctly.

I do not care how much input MB & DT had...I just don't want them involved in any way shape or form. They are backstabbers...best they are kept away.

Even in the most positive of threads, there is still blatant negativity as some people find at least SOMETHING to go on about...*sighs*

I for one am very excited for this! Rushka appreciates and literally breathes fashion, so I know she's the perfect person for this. Also, in regards to who owns all of Michael's outfits/costumes....I know most pre-Thriller costumes are still at Hayvenhurst, up in the memory room or in a similar storage area. All of the J5 costumes, Jackson costumes, probably the outfits from the Destiny and Triumph tours also. Katherine kept everything, and Michael did too. Those things I guess would be owned by the estate now, but they still exist and I'd personally love to see some of them on show.

I am not up to date with what transpired with Michael Bush recently but yeah as for as impeccably styling Michael over the years, Michael Bush all the way! Michael's vision was seamlessly incorporated into his attire with the help of MB. I love how he kept Michael, distinctly Michael. The designs weren't over the top, nor influenced by modern fads but strictly fit for a King.

I'm just not a big fan of Rushka's work. I just don't see Michael in her designs...something's missing, I don't know what.

Last edited:
^ So you'd prefer Michael wearing the travesties pre-Trial? LOL! The guy needed styling help BADLY. Rushka put him in classic jackets that hugged his form, skinny jeans and boots that harked back to the early 80's. She was spot on for what suited his frame. It was a little high fashion, but for Michael I think that was perfect. Much better than those jackets/whatever the heck they were that he was wearing around the time of the Gary 2003 visit.

I'm just not a big fan of Rushka's work. I just don't see Michael in her designs...something's missing, I don't know what.

Me too. :fear:

Particularly, I hated all the jackets Rushka for Michael. -_- :fear: Those shoulder pads... :bugeyed :doh: :fear: It's just my opinion about it. :fear:

BUT if Michael liked and felt good with them, OK, that's what matters. -_-

^ So you'd prefer Michael wearing the travesties pre-Trial? LOL! The guy needed styling help BADLY. Rushka put him in classic jackets that hugged his form, skinny jeans and boots that harked back to the early 80's. She was spot on for what suited his frame. It was a little high fashion, but for Michael I think that was perfect. Much better than those jackets/whatever the heck they were that he was wearing around the time of the Gary 2003 visit.

They were not travesties, in fact far from such. I beg to differ to differ with you with the exception of that bright turquoise jacket lol, That was a what-were-you-thinking-moment?!:doh: I'll give you that

Besides that one little incident, Everything else was impeccably well suited to Michael's masculine frame, don't get me started on the 2005 trial suits/vests and MJ's natural swagger...in the words of Rachel Zoe "I. DIE." :dropdead:

Last edited:
^^Lol... I'm not a big fan of the bright turquoise jacket neither. But, the military-inspired style that Michael had in the 90's is simply DIVINE!!! Those jackets are fit for a KING. The black jacket during the visit to the White House to meet with the elder President Bush. The white pearl jacket to the Grammy's, the black 7 jacket to the Jackson Family Honor in Vegas. I can go on and on. The military style not only fit him like a glove, but also accentuates his beautiful bodyline. Those jackets emphasize his broad shoulder and narrow waist. The outfits are created for the one and only Michael Jackson, not directly off the runway of Balmain and Givenchy. The style Rushka dressed Michael in lacks uniqueness. I mean, if I have the money, I can walk into the Balmain boutique and ask for a pointy shoulder jacket (I love that one, but don't think I can rock it like Michael.) But, the white pearl jacket is not available on any sales rack. Just my opinion...

Last edited:
^^Lol... I'm not a big fan of the bright turquoise jacket neither. But, the military-inspired style that Michael had in the 90's is simply DIVINE!!! Those jackets are fit for a KING. The black jacket during the visit to the White House to meet with the elder President Bush. The white pearl jacket to the Grammy's, the black 7 jacket to the Jackson Family Honor in Vegas. I can go on and on. The military style not only fit him like a glove, but also accentuates his beautiful bodyline. Those jackets emphasize his broad shoulder and narrow waist. The outfits are created for the one and only Michael Jackson, not directly off the runway of Balmain and Givenchy. The style Rushka dressed Michael in lacks uniqueness. I mean, if I have the money, I can walk into the Balmain boutique and ask for a pointy shoulder jacket (I love that one, but don't think I can Rick it like Michael.) But, the white pearl jacket is not available on any sales rack. Just my opinion...

Disagree. What other man have you seen wearing Balmain?

^^Lol... I'm not a big fan of the bright turquoise jacket neither. But, the military-inspired style that Michael had in the 90's is simply DIVINE!!! Those jackets are fit for a KING. The black jacket during the visit to the White House to meet with the elder President Bush. The white pearl jacket to the Grammy's, the black 7 jacket to the Jackson Family Honor in Vegas. I can go on and on. The military style not only fit him like a glove, but also accentuates his beautiful bodyline. Those jackets emphasize his broad shoulder and narrow waist. The outfits are created for the one and only Michael Jackson, not directly off the runway of Balmain and Givenchy. The style Rushka dressed Michael in lacks uniqueness. I mean, if I have the money, I can walk into the Balmain boutique and ask for a pointy shoulder jacket (I love that one, but don't think I can Rick it like Michael.) But, the white pearl jacket is not available on any sales rack. Just my opinion...

I completely agree. Everyone got into the pointy shoulder later on too and that just made it so blah. No One dares to try to own the Military style.In line with what you said, you'd have to have Michael's physique for that style and so far I haven't seen anyone pull it off as well as MJ did.

All this hate because he sold a jacket? Did Michael wish to maintain the Thriller jacket? If so, I can understand why some would be upset, but if he never offered any input in the jacket...Let bygones be bygones.

What's Rushka going to put in the exhibit though? Outfits from the vogue photo shoot, and maybe the Ebony shoot (did she have any input in these outfits?), and a few Balmain's? Is that really enough for a whole exhibit? How can you have a costume exhibit without Bush's designs from the 90's and onward?

For the record, Michael and skinny jeans didn't go over well with the entire fan community, well the bright red pair anyway. I for one, thought he looked great in them. And despite it being by far the worst time in his life, I felt Michael looked his best during the trial, those suits, the way the colors complimented his skin, the way the fits complimented his physique, he just looked so dapper.

They were not travesties, in fact far from such. I beg to differ to differ with you with the exception of that bright turquoise jacket lol, That was a what-were-you-thinking-moment?!:doh: I'll give you that

Besides that one little incident, Everything else was impeccably well suited to Michael's masculine frame, don't get me started on the 2005 trial suits/vests and MJ's natural swagger...in the words of Rachel Zoe "I. DIE." :dropdead:

LOL nope....honestly, most of the outfits pre-trial were awful for his frame and did nothing to help the public opinion of him. When he got into the skinny jeans/black jacket look around 2007, suddenly he was Mister Cool again and honestly, I think he gained a lot of credibility back just for that. Seeing him out and about in LA looking so suave and very in-style was extremely good for repairing the damage done to his image during the trial.

That said, yes I do agree the trial suits were gorgeous. He was well dressed every single day.

Me too. :fear:

Particularly, I hated all the jackets Rushka for Michael. -_- :fear: Those shoulder pads... :bugeyed :doh: :fear:

Yeah, I didn't like those either. I'm no particularly fan of the style Rushka put on him. Not because these were female jackets, but the style itself IMO didn't really suit him - yeah, the shoulder pads didn't look good on him at all, I agree. He was skinny and they made him look even more skinny.

I preferred his style pre-Rushka. Those simple but very elegant black shirts and pants. And I also liked the clothes he wore during the trial.

Back